Husqvarna 545 Mark 2 Vapor Locking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubster

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like this little saw,but it is the only modern saw I have owned that vapor locks.Adjusting the carb on the older saws would sometimes help solve this problem ,but thanks to auto tune there seems to be no help.I am just wondering if anyone else has this problem with auto tune saws.

Hi, what is a vapour lock.
A vapor lock happens when a saw gets hot and forms what you might call an airlock in the fuel line or sometimes carb.It was a common problem with older magnesium cased saws,especially if the fuel tank was in the front of the saw and the fuel line ran past the cylinder head.Back in the good ol days though,you could set the low needle a bit rich and help solve it.These new saws have no adjustment.

Do u let saw idle for a 30 sec after cutting or do u shut off right after a cut. Cheap or old fuel can cause those issues too.

Do u let saw idle for a 30 sec after cutting or do u shut off right after a cut. Cheap or old fuel can cause those issues too.
I always let it run about a minute or so before shutdown if it has been running hard.(I do the same with all engines).I run 89 minimum,but usually 92 non-ethanol ,and I only mix 1 gallon at a time.This saw will also cut out and die at the end of a hard cut as well.I still have warranty on it,just hate to mess around with the dealer as they are overwhelmed with trying to get new machines in due to covid .

A vapor lock happens when a saw gets hot and forms what you might call an airlock in the fuel line or sometimes carb.It was a common problem with older magnesium cased saws,especially if the fuel tank was in the front of the saw and the fuel line ran past the cylinder head.Back in the good ol days though,you could set the low needle a bit rich and help solve it.These new saws have no adjustment.
Thanks. So basically no fuel (or not enough) gets to the engine?

I always let it run about a minute or so before shutdown if it has been running hard.(I do the same with all engines).I run 89 minimum,but usually 92 non-ethanol ,and I only mix 1 gallon at a time.This saw will also cut out and die at the end of a hard cut as well.I still have warranty on it,just hate to mess around with the dealer as they are overwhelmed with trying to get new machines in due to covid .
I would say the best thing you could do is, take it to the dealer, and I really do understand the hassle. Otherwise, you could contact Husqvarna via their web site. I am in the UK and the correspondence I have had with them, has been great, they are very helpful. I think covid is just an excuse for some companies to express their laziness, and incompetency in getting items to where they need to be. Round here, parts etc. are continually out of supply.

Back