Husqvarna 545 mark ii autotune issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin coley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, so here's a little background and long story on my saw.

I bought a husqvarna 545 mark ii with autotune 10 months ago. And retired (sold) all my other saws (sthil ms170, jonsered, and a husqvarna) I decided to buy this saw because I needed a larger and more powerful saw. When I bought the new 545 I loved how fast and nice it cut wood. I only used it approximately to cut 7 pickup loads of wood over the course of a week. The saw starts excellent, first or second pull Everytime, idles perfect, even in the warm garage, or cold winter days. It has all the power it suppose to have cutting wood, no bog. UNTIL about 20 mins of use. Then the saw Will begin to spit and shudder and lose some power. ( same as timing was retarded) and as soon as you release the throttle it will shut off immediately. It will start only if you give it full throttle, but will die everytime when you release the throttle. It will keep doing this until the saw cools down for 15 mins or more. Then will act up doing the same issues after a short period maybe 1 or 2 mins. So to me, it's a heat soak issue. I am a pretty good mechanic and tried a few things. But still don't have the anwser to the issue, I think the the coil is causing the issue? (Coil cold- saw works great and she the coil gets hot internally- saw loses spark or retards the timing. Not sure the features of these ignition coils, if they have timing advance built in or able to read rpms.) I know the saw don't have any issue with compression, muffler, spark plug gap, air gap on coil, fuel lines, or filters,or fuel vent or gas/oil ratio.. I don't think it is a dirty carb.. I let the saw idle when cold and sprayed starting fluid around every seal and the saw did not rev up or down. So I don't think its a seal or gasket problem. Only possible things I can think of is the coil or the computer (autotune unit ) that's on the carb. I would just buy a new coil but it is very expensive for this saw, and hard to find ? I do not know how to test this model coil. Or plug wire. The saw is all original. Except a new chain due to breaking the original chain. I did take the saw to husqvarna dealer/service store and it's been there for a week. They hooked her up to computer to told me, there is no faults/codes, never overheated, latest firmware is installed, and settings looks good. They also said there's only 11 hours and 41 minutes on the saw. He said the saw should run fine. I also stated "I think it is possible the coil is bad, and acts up after using it for a while" he unscrewed the recoil cover and compared the part number on the coil to the one on the computer and said "looks good". I wassent sure what he was comparing it to. So I told him to keep the saw until they can look into it farther. Or find a reason to warrenty the coil. I NEED ADVICE on what I should do now and what YOU guys think the issue is. I need my saw fixed but obviously this is a issue that's hard to replicate, ( only acts up when saw is used for 15 mins in wood with a load on the engine) I will be difficult to replicate this issue with just reving the engine without a load.. am I overlooking somthing? Did anybody on this fourm have this issue or know anyone with this issue. I searched the web for hours and hours. And couldn't find many people with coil issues. Mostly issues with seals and gaskets. Sorry for the long post. I just want to write all the info here so you guys got the best understanding possible. Please feel free to ask for anything I missed or things I can relay to the husqvarna service shop or even things I can test. With proper/ detailed information. THANKS IN ADVANCE Justin

How would they decide if it's faulty or not. Just swap it out and see if problem goes away?
I just got a 572 back from my dealer and after running diagnostics on it, he spoke with Husqvarna themselves. They recommended he replace the carburetor, even though he knew it was a brand new carburetor and still had issues. After replacing the carburetor and it didn’t work, he tried getting a coil but they were on back order. I ended up finding a new coil on eBay and installed myself and it worked fine

I just got a 572 back from my dealer and after running diagnostics on it, he spoke with Husqvarna themselves. They recommended he replace the carburetor, even though he knew it was a brand new carburetor and still had issues. After replacing the carburetor and it didn’t work, he tried getting a coil but they were on back order. I ended up finding a new coil on eBay and installed myself and it worked fine
Is your 572 a autotune saw? I can't even find a coil for mine online.

Several new and used oem 550 coils on eBay. You need to know which generation of coil your saw has. I would Google the IPL and look to see which coil is yours and if the number has been superseded or not. Then you could get one off eBay

Several new and used oem 550 coils on eBay. You need to know which generation of coil your saw has. I would Google the IPL and look to see which coil is yours and if the number has been superseded or not. Then you could get one off eBay
Ok I'll look around. Here Is an attached photo my my coil. But if I went and replaced the coil, do the dealer need to sync it to the autotune ? Or can I just plug and play.

Attachments

• 20220123_214724.jpg
    20220123_214724.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back