husqvarna 55 souped up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Tim n Brett.[emoji16] I would suggest doing what tim said and run it first then decide if or who you want to mod it. Lots of great builders on the site here thst could take care of you.

P.s. I'm gonna have a very nice ported 350/46 that's going to hit the market soon. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Could somebody suggest that a Husky 55 some how could be made heavy. If you took a 55 added two lbs to a 18'' bar it still would be a feather weight. I have several saws that weigh more than 40 lbs with out the bar and chain. My smallest saws which make good limbing saws are the Extra 460 at about 14 to 15 lbs which are feather weight with a standard 24'' bar. My Stihl MS 660 works OK for limbing and cutting smaller logs, but just does not have the pop to go through sizable logs unless it has a skip chain on it or Pine. It weighs around 20 lbs with a 36 bar and chain which is not physically taxing. So why would some one want to shop around for a lighter bar? Thanks

Could somebody suggest that a Husky 55 some how could be made heavy. If you took a 55 added two lbs to a 18'' bar it still would be a feather weight. I have several saws that weigh more than 40 lbs with out the bar and chain. My smallest saws which make good limbing saws are the Extra 460 at about 14 to 15 lbs which are feather weight with a standard 24'' bar. My Stihl MS 660 works OK for limbing and cutting smaller logs, but just does not have the pop to go through sizable logs unless it has a skip chain on it or Pine. It weighs around 20 lbs with a 36 bar and chain which is not physically taxing. So why would some one want to shop around for a lighter bar? Thanks
Is this an actual question or?? You just trying to prove how manly you are. Sorta like the guy thst buys the biggest truck in the world, jacks it up, puts huge tires on it, light bar, push bumper on front and back, puts 2- 6 inch stacks out the bed, then doesn't take it anywhere but to the grocery store...

Is this an actual question or?? You just trying to prove how manly you are. Sorta like the guy thst buys the biggest truck in the world, jacks it up, puts huge tires on it, light bar, push bumper on front and back, puts 2- 6 inch stacks out the bed, then doesn't take it anywhere but to the grocery store...

In the Jeep world we call that "mall crawlin'"

I am not quite sure exactly how to respond to this reply assuming it is a real reply. My 4X4s are not too pretty and they have never been to a mall. The road I navigate on are very gnarly and scary. Included are a couple of pics. All my trucks for most part are for hauling and delivering wood. I did use my dump truck to go on some dinner dates since it was the cleanest and roomiest vehicle I had at the time. Manly back to my question, are there people who struggle with a saw weighing less than 20 lbs? I often only cut for six hours a day because after 50 plus years of cutting I get tired and it is not because my saws weigh more than 20 lbs. The moving of the rounds and splitting the rounds too big to roll by hand are what wears me out. I like my my older 100cc plus saws because they turn much slower than most new saws requiring much less chain maintenance and they can be serviced in the field. For most part I deal with limbs that are a foot in diam so the logs often are 30 to 60'' in diam. Is it safe to say maybe some wimps are just around the corner. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 17
  • ERLDK.JPG
    ERLDK.JPG
    506.8 KB · Views: 15
I am not quite sure exactly how to respond to this reply assuming it is a real reply. My 4X4s are not too pretty and they have never been to a mall. The road I navigate on are very gnarly and scary. Included are a couple of pics. All my trucks for most part are for hauling and delivering wood. I did use my dump truck to go on some dinner dates since it was the cleanest and roomiest vehicle I had at the time. Manly back to my question, are there people who struggle with a saw weighing less than 20 lbs? I often only cut for six hours a day because after 50 plus years of cutting I get tired and it is not because my saws weigh more than 20 lbs. The moving of the rounds and splitting the rounds too big to roll by hand are what wears me out. I like my my older 100cc plus saws because they turn much slower than most new saws requiring much less chain maintenance and they can be serviced in the field. For most part I deal with limbs that are a foot in diam so the logs often are 30 to 60'' in diam. Is it safe to say maybe some wimps are just around the corner. Thanks
No it was not a real reply, was justvsating there are people out there thst are not able to lift big heavy saws for a multiple of reasons. Doesn't mean they are wimps. Alot also don't have wood the size you cut or need a big saw. I have plenty of old mag muscle saws in The 100+ cc range that have there place. I pick the smallest saw that will do the job in a timely manner.

Wow, really Ted, you feeling ok today.
This doesn't even sound congruent to the things you were saying in your other post.
On a practical level just buy the saw that will meet the needs as they come up. At the moment I have 11 saws maybe a few more. They all have a very specific purpose and do exactly what they were designed to do.
It's all quite relative.
You have something bigger, or do something different, that's great, but it doesn't make you way right or a viable option for the OP.
Not many guys want to carry a 660 into the tree even when it is needed. The OP clearly stated that was going to be one of the things he wanted to do with it.
If you look at his picture you will see he already has bunch of heavier saws, or did you not read any of the previous post, and decided to comment here after reading one or two post.
I often only cut for six hours a day because after 50 plus years of cutting I get tired and it is not because my saws weigh more than 20 lbs
It's probably because your a grumpy old fart :p.

Is there anything wrong with being a grumpy old fart? Unless you let a tree land on you most likely you will a grumpy old fart. After reading the previous posts my question still from my point of view has not been answered. Since there has been so much conversation about what mods will make a better performing saw I wanted to know why. If you take a 14 lb saw modify it to perform like a 15 lb saw, but it costs you all most as much as a whole new saw why would anybody do that? For sure there are many great people here and in shops all over the world who could bring most saws to life and that does not bother or concern me. If some one has a saw that needs a new jug and piston then that would be a good time to find a big bore kit and enlarge the muffler as much as possible. That makes some sense to me, but not to do work on a saw that is running well. Since I am so old and not so physically in shape as those in their twenties and not being able to discern the difference between one saw to the other how would some one younger even care about a few pounds? I do not mind lugging a 40 lb saw around to zip through a log that is more than 20'' diam why would some worry about a 14 or 18 lb saw? BTW my trucks would have a heart attack even if they saw pavement. Thanks Chipper I will be sure to check and see if I missed any meds.

Is there anything wrong with being a grumpy old fart? Unless you let a tree land on you most likely you will a grumpy old fart. After reading the previous posts my question still from my point of view has not been answered. Since there has been so much conversation about what mods will make a better performing saw I wanted to know why. If you take a 14 lb saw modify it to perform like a 15 lb saw, but it costs you all most as much as a whole new saw why would anybody do that? For sure there are many great people here and in shops all over the world who could bring most saws to life and that does not bother or concern me. If some one has a saw that needs a new jug and piston then that would be a good time to find a big bore kit and enlarge the muffler as much as possible. That makes some sense to me, but not to do work on a saw that is running well. Since I am so old and not so physically in shape as those in their twenties and not being able to discern the difference between one saw to the other how would some one younger even care about a few pounds? I do not mind lugging a 40 lb saw around to zip through a log that is more than 20'' diam why would some worry about a 14 or 18 lb saw? BTW my trucks would have a heart attack even if they saw pavement. Thanks Chipper I will be sure to check and see if I missed any meds.
That's funny Ted.
Nothing wrong with being old, the grumpy part well lol.
I here what your saying to a certain extent, and when I'm bucking large logs I don't care and I actually like a larger saw when I'm doing that especially at the house as it's fun and they are quite efficient doing that both for speed and fuel. But if I had to walk through the bush with a saw I would want a much lighter saw, and if I was working in a tree such as the OP (which is the reason we are having the discussion at all) I'd also want the saw to be as light as possible. Another reason guys want a lighter saw to work with is because of health issues. Even you yourself said that you have different saws to do different jobs, it's important to remember that others are not doing the same work you are. 2 weeks ago I had a job that the only saw I used was a ms241. I have 2 of because they are light and I keep them both sharp and fueled. The job I did would have paid for both saws if bought new :). Could I have done the job with a 455 rancher, sure but why, or how about the 550 yep that would have worked too, a 372 now that's a bit of overkill when it was all 8-9" and under. This job was on a roof and many of the cuts were very close to the shingles an I wanted a smooth cutting chain and the picco chain is hard to beat for that and I never touched a shingle while doing the job and never needed to sharpen my chain the whole time. Weight was not as much of a concern on this job, but it was a nice side benefit.
I like to run a saw that will be at max rpm in the cut the most, if I'm just blipping the throttle constantly then I can probably use a smaller saw.
To answer your question if that didn't I would say there is always a quest to do more with less, I realize it isn't always practical and that it doesn't always net a profit either, but it can be a lot of fun.
As I said before if I did tree work every day I would probably have a ported saw in every cc class. Why run a saw that's a lbs heavier if I don't have to, yes I just might be that wimp you were talking about(I'm not just around the corner, but I was born in California lol), but I'll say this I'm not afraid of a little work, nor do I shy away from a lot of work if it pays well.
Here's one of my piles, you will probably appreciate it more than others since you do firewood. There's a 16' covered trailer behind it and a 20' utility trailer, it's aluminum, not sure why a guy would spend all that extra money on an aluminum trailer though lol.
1506605592754.jpg

That's funny Ted.
Nothing wrong with being old, the grumpy part well lol.
I here what your saying to a certain extent, and when I'm bucking large logs I don't care and I actually like a larger saw when I'm doing that especially at the house as it's fun and they are quite efficient doing that both for speed and fuel. But if I had to walk through the bush with a saw I would want a much lighter saw, and if I was working in a tree such as the OP (which is the reason we are having the discussion at all. Another reason guys want a lighter saw to work with is because of health issues. Even you yourself said that you have different saws to do different jobs, it's important to remember that others are not doing the same work you are. 2 weeks ago I had a job that the only saw I used was a ms241. I have 2 of because they are light and I keep them both sharp and fueled. The job I did would have paid for both saws if bought new :). Could I have done the job with a 455 rancher, sure but why, or how about the 550 yep that would have worked too, a 372 now that's a bit of overkill when it was all 8-9" and under. This job was on a roof and many of the cuts were very close to the shingles an I wanted a smooth cutting chain and the picco chain is hard to beat for that and I never touched a shingle while doing the job and never needed to sharpen my chain the whole time. Weight was not as much of a concern on this job, but it was a nice side benefit.
I like to run a saw that will be at max rpm in the cut the most, if I'm just blipping the throttle constantly then I can probably use a smaller saw.
To answer your question if that didn't I would say there is always a quest to do more with less, I realize it isn't always practical and that it doesn't always net a profit either, but it can be a lot of fun.
As I said before if I did tree work every day I would probably have a ported saw in every cc class. Why run a saw that's a lbs heavier if I don't have to, yes I just might be that wimp you were talking about(I'm not just around the corner, but I was born in California lol), but I'll say this I'm not afraid of a little work, nor do I shy away from a lot of work if it pays well.
Here's one of my piles, you will probably appreciate it more than others since you do firewood. There's a 16' covered trailer behind it and a 20' utility trailer, it's aluminum, not sure why a guy would spend all that extra money on an aluminum trailer though lol.
View attachment 604258

There is much in your answer that for me that I do not agree with, but for those who want to soup up their saws because it is fun then there you have it. Probably much like me souping up my 55 ford to very unsafe speeds. Or the time I let my souped up Bronco loose although it had a full roll cage and a five point harness and I guess it was fun. Every time I raced something it took so much concentration to do it I forgot about the fun. Maybe should try souping up some saws. Thanks

what would be the best thing to do to my husqvarna 55 to make it more powerful, like performance modification wise and it still be a reliable work saw? Also where and who would be the best place to get it upgraded and about how much does it run?
Get a hyway closed port piston and jug. You won't beleave the difference in power and very dependable. Use good fuel and echo red armor 2 stroke oil.

Back