Husqvarna 555 "Simple" Build, No Machine Tools Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Build Overview

First Cuts...in the world it will live in, small wood.

Interesting a year later this saw is STILL in service and the guy wants another one. Essentially a 560 with out stuffers. And ir runs easilay as strong as a stocker 562 Probably the BEST build I've done in years when measured by expectations vs actual results. WAY out performed expectations both by me and the fellow who "commissioned" me to do this.

Build Overview

First Cuts...in the world it will live in, small wood.

It seems like these 5 series Huskies respond well to muffler mods. In the case of my mk1 550xp, some of the early mk1 gremlins disappeared after I split the muffler, removed the baffle completely, and opened up the outlet/deflector. I'm guessing it was just enough to get rid of excess heat that was causing issues.

Right now, that saw is torn down on my bench. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just doing some tweaking on it. I milled about .022" off the base and a corresponding amount off the skirt of the cylinder for clearance. I also opened up the transfers a bit and helped that transition from the crankcase.

I went more conservatively with the exhaust port timing than I normally would. Mines actually not necessarily going to be a limber...my intent is going to carry it on early season dirtbike rides for clearing out the large windfall we get on our higher elevation trails. I usually carry one of my top handles for this, but it'd be nice to have a larger saw for it. Even then, the 550 is outgunned on these logs, but I'm not carrying one of my larger saws on a bike.

Anyways, thanks for sharing that vid. I'm still trying to learn the nuances of strato design, so it's good to hear someone else's opinion on it.

One little "nuance" on the 50cc and less saws I've done is I actually like a little longer exhaust timing, the pressure on the piston a little longer period of time so I don't raise the exhaust after decking the cylinder on those, even the 562's, And on the 562's the "thin" gasket ( .010" vs. Stock )is easier on everything than machining the base. I do both depending on the mood.

One little "nuance" on the 50cc and less saws I've done is I actually like a little longer exhaust timing, the pressure on the piston a little longer period of time so I don't raise the exhaust after decking the cylinder on those, even the 562's, And on the 562's the "thin" gasket ( .010" vs. Stock )is easier on everything than machining the base. I do both depending on the mood.
Yeah, I ended up at 104* on the exhaust...I'd have to look at my notes, but I think it was around 101 stock. I had to fight the urge to grind on the top of the exhaust port lol.

I left the short blowdown with the transfers. The gap inbetween the plating and squish band was large enough to keep me from being able to remove any material out of the squish band, lest I drop the ring inside of it. So the exhaust and transfer timing are just what they are.

@weirmedog I've been watching your videos and appreciate all the info you've shared. I've picked up a couple autotune saws to mess around with and learn about them because of your videos. I have done some mild muffler work on a 555 which I sent along to my brother-in-law to test out and he's quite happy with it.

I've also started testing out a 550 mark II xpg which I got a 562 carb and intake boot port matched to the block on (and swapped back over the 550 solenoid block back on the carb) It seems to work well but I haven't had a chance to put much time on as I'm in the middle of grad school and have had other saw projects have come across the bench (g288 kit that I've built so have been watching your series on that saw as well.)

Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Back