Husqvarna 61 fuel problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderBFarm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I swapped a guy out of a black top 61. He is meticulous about maintaining his equipment and stored it without fuel in it. The spark plug is brand new as well as the air filter. When I first got it I tried to crank it and it would sputter some and cut out, I tried to pull the fuel filter to check it and the fuel hose broke off. I installed a new fuel hose and filter and still couldn’t get it to run. I pulled the plug to check for spark but could t seem to get the plug wire to fit down on the plug. I discovered the top of another spark plug stuck in the wire. I pulled it out, flipped the saw over, pulled the cord to get the fuel out of the cylinder, then blew off the spark plug. I still couldn’t get it to bust off so I poured some fuel into the carb and it crunk up and ran probably 2 minutes while I tinkered with the idle then cut out. Wouldn’t crank again. I say it aside and tried it again this morning and it wouldn’t crank unless I poured fuel in the carb. I took the fuel line off of the carb and no fuel came out. I wonder if the diaphragms in the carb are still from sitting or if something else isn’t sucking fuel into the carb.

sounds like youre gonna need to rebuild the carb. the diaphrams in them will everntually start to harden and won't work properly. look for Husqvarna part# 504 49 48-02. that's the diaphram kit i just put in my 61 and it runs amazing now. if you know of someone who has an ultrasonic parts cleaner i'd tear the carb down and throw it in for about 45 minutes or so. works like a charm to clean the passages out in the carb. also there should be an internal screen in the carb that will stop a lot of the gunk getting through the in-tank filter from going thru the carb. it could be plugged too

sounds like youre gonna need to rebuild the carb. the diaphrams in them will everntually start to harden and won't work properly. look for Husqvarna part# 504 49 48-02. that's the diaphram kit i just put in my 61 and it runs amazing now. if you know of someone who has an ultrasonic parts cleaner i'd tear the carb down and throw it in for about 45 minutes or so. works like a charm to clean the passages out in the carb. also there should be an internal screen in the carb that will stop a lot of the gunk getting through the in-tank filter from going thru the carb. it could be plugged too
The carb was clogged. Run it by the local small engine repair shop and he cleaned it out good. Runs like a champ now. Thanks!

Back