Husqvarna 61 mind blown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you would think it would kick, buck, sputter and try to start but believe me.You will pull your hinny off and it won't even try to light. Just didn't know the history of the saw.

Coil can look like its producing good spark but under compression it fails.

Id also trace coil wire and make sure its not shorting to ground...id order a cheap ebay coil and see if that works.

When I flood on out, I generally set it on the ground, put a knee down on the saw, hold the trigger in and pull the start cord till it starts. Hold the trigger down till all the extra has burns out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nobody is gonna be happy till we figure this one out.
If it was a flywheel issue it would kick like a horse.
A bit of a stretch, but will the clutch drum spin freely by hand?

You know it’s odd that you mention that...”kick like a horse”...
Recently it has been incredibly hard to pull this saw over. Like, stupid hard. After I fixed the chainbrake issue and reassembled the saw, it was hard to pull over maybe two more times, and then, voila, it’s back to normal.

Sounds like it’s flooded.when I have one thats badly flooded I take a plug out of a saw that’s been run for a few minutes and put it in the flooded saw.and give it a try.sometimes a nice hot plug in a flooded saw does the trick.The crank case may have too much fuel in the bottom.To remedy this you can remove the plug,and turn the saw upside down and pull it over a few times until all the excess fuel is out of the crank case.Then put your hot plug in and give it a try.

Sounds like it’s flooded.when I have one thats badly flooded I take a plug out of a saw that’s been run for a few minutes and put it in the flooded saw.and give it a try.sometimes a nice hot plug in a flooded saw does the trick.The crank case may have too much fuel in the bottom.To remedy this you can remove the plug,and turn the saw upside down and pull it over a few times until all the excess fuel is out of the crank case.Then put your hot plug in and give it a try.
In the early days of snowmobiling, if someone flooded a snow machine we would pull the plug(s) and heat it with a lighter until it was very hot. At the same time someone would pull the starter a few times with the plug out. Then we'd put the hot plug in and away she'd go - first pull usually.

I'd recommend pulling the flywheel to verify the key... it's easy to look from the top and convince yourself that it's good. You'd make us all feel better if you checked it :sweet:

Flywheel key is fine. Pics of flywheel and coil for your identification, as well as sn tag. Kill switch wire (blue) is squished in one place but I eliminated it from the loop during testing to rule that out.

Attachments

• 6E7F17DF-AF94-42E9-9C38-186A292D33E6.jpeg
    6E7F17DF-AF94-42E9-9C38-186A292D33E6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • 280DB8A6-477B-40CF-A4CA-50D2DC9D57A5.jpeg
    280DB8A6-477B-40CF-A4CA-50D2DC9D57A5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • C9D481A7-0F25-41F3-BEE7-3B69CFBD1119.jpeg
    C9D481A7-0F25-41F3-BEE7-3B69CFBD1119.jpeg
    869.2 KB · Views: 38
  • AA02A91E-8B66-4F84-93A2-AB52983225D2.jpeg
    AA02A91E-8B66-4F84-93A2-AB52983225D2.jpeg
    715.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 1620FBA4-95C5-4401-830B-C4A0A3D57D92.jpeg
    1620FBA4-95C5-4401-830B-C4A0A3D57D92.jpeg
    693.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 9F0F8C82-EA6D-40CB-BCD6-A8B4D4DE6D0F.jpeg
    9F0F8C82-EA6D-40CB-BCD6-A8B4D4DE6D0F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
Are you sure you don't have a bad main sill it would lose its compression when the plug is put back in and have you tried running it without the air filter in my dad had a husqvarna that could not get enough air he had to drill holes in air filter cover to make it run right

And I thought it was just me that has problems starting my 61( and my 162) both have good spark, new pistons and rings, still hard to start, both act like too much fuel. Heating plug does get them started though. I guess I'm getting old. Those saws with good compression could benefit from a compression release. I blame my hard starting on me not getting them spinning fast enough. All my other Huskys in that 60cc range are easier to start. (262,266,555)

I'm with the other guys who are thinking that it's flooding. you could try disconnecting your fuel line and just put a little fuel in the carb elbow, see if it hits. If it does then you'll know if it's a carb problem. Make sure all the fuel is out of the crankcase and cylinder before you try it.

The carburetors on those old saws are very sensitive but if you get the metering needle right on them they start just fine.

Are you sure you don't have a bad main sill it would lose its compression when the plug is put back in and have you tried running it without the air filter in my dad had a husqvarna that could not get enough air he had to drill holes in air filter cover to make it run right

I’ve tested the compression with a gauge: 130lbs on 3/4 pulls.

Yes, I tried it without the air filter. I’ve tried it wide open without choke to clear out a flood. I’ve damn near tried everything. And I tried starting fluid in the plug hole, and alternately, in the carb elbow

Back