Husqvarna 61 pumping out way too much oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dead61

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Further to my last post, I did manage to get a new old clutch for my Husky 61. The next problem to tackle is the fact that it is pumping way too much oil. I have the pump set to 1 but if I run the saw for 30 seconds the bar has bar oil pooling on the bottom and the entire area under the clutch brake/cover is soaked in a lot of oil. After putting it down it just pools under the saw. It will continue to keep leaking like it's siphoning the reservoir even when it's off.

Any ideas why it's happening?

I do have the proper bar & installed a new oil pump which I believe included the small O-Ring. The saw was leaking like this prior to installing the new pump.

The saw started to leak quite a while ago. I changed out the Oil pickup hose/integrated O-ring. It was original to the 1980ish saw. I think I may have bought an amazon/china one. Are they known to be pretty terrible? It would make sense to me that, that tube is where it's leaking from.

Just a question, as I have no idea how the oiler works. Does the pump pressurize the tank(through that small o ring hole) and then meter the oil from the oil pickup tube?

That vent hose should go up above the oil tank thread in crankcase
if u can see end of the hose or hanging it may pull excess oil from there out the vent. The old saws pumped too much oil and the new saws don’t pump enough it seems

I ran it for maybe 30 seconds and this was the aftermath. I know the clutch has many issues. They're being resolved.

Questions.
1. The early saws vented (intake air) through bar oil cap, correct? I blew air through the cap vent holes and could see the air venting under the seal. Is it still possible the cap is the problem?
2. Is there another vent that prevents the oil tank from being pressurized?
3. It is an early 61, which I believe did have a slightly different venting system? Correct?

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Back