Husqvarna 61 troubleshooting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blinkstudio

Reaction score
I picked up an old Husky 61 from eBay UK last year, put a new 20" Oregon bar and chain on it and it ran really solid for a pretty decent amount of firewood cutting and milling a handful of 12" wide, 6-8 ft logs of ash and maple logs into boards

This year I put some new fuel in, mounted it in the mill and tried the first cut in a cherry log, only about 10" wide and about 5' long. Unfortunately it wasn't running as well as the 1st year at all. It started with no problems and idles reliably. Pick up seems OK but at full revs it would run OK briefly then scream and bog, like it was getting super lean. This sounds like a situation that could lead to damage so I need to sort it, quite apart from the fact that it can't really be used when acting like this. I checked carb settings which were about 1 1/4 turns out on both which sounds within expected. I experimented with different settings but wasn't able to get it running better.

So I have pulled out the carb and cleaned it, replacing the diaphragm, which didn't look in very bad condition anyway. I pulled out the fuel line and inspected it, this was good in condition. I cleaned the fuel filter by spraying carb cleaner back though which seemed to give masses of flow. I reinstalled the carb with a little gasket sear to prevent any air leaks and set carb screws to factory settings of 1 turn out each.

It started fine and seemed to be running better but when I stuck it on the mill and started to use it the same symptom came back.

Am I right in thinking this symptom is fuel starvation or excess air causing extreme lean condition or is there another explanation for surging and bogging at full throttle?
Any suggestions as to a remedy or further investigation?

Thanks

Look at the plug. Is the electrode white?

My first guess is that it just wants to be tuned.... you can pick up a cheap tachometer for about $10 on Amazon, though you don't absolutely need more than an ear and a screwdriver.

Here is Husky's guide to tuning (in the text beneath the flowchart).

Latest posts

Back