Husqvarna 61 weak (or no) spark.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine has a white top on it, is it any more collectible?

Collectable? Maybe if it was showroom condition...... but it aint like the good old 61 was a low sales saw!
The later black top 300 year anniversary model might have a slight edge on a $30 white top with a Chinese coil, but hold on to it for long enough and you never know- might double in value from what you paid for it! :)

Collectable? Maybe if it was showroom condition...... but it aint like the good old 61 was a low sales saw!
The later black top 300 year anniversary model might have a slight edge on a $30 white top with a Chinese coil, but hold on to it for long enough and you never know- might double in value from what you paid for it! :)
I was just wondering, not trying to get rich selling saws. I've had white top 61s before and just sold them for regular saw prices and no, it's not showroom, just not beat up. I probably won't keep it for long once it's ready to go...

True....but I guess should have clarified that I was speaking only of the 162 through 272 family of Husky saws and 625, 630 and 670 Red cousins.
Actually, thinking about it more, the 3120 I had my hands on in 1988 was a pre-production test sample so it probably doesn't count anyway.

I can't answer for the US, but up here on the cold side of the border we still got them.

That one belongs to a good friend of mine who lives within a mile of the border. I have a 1992 saw on the shelf myself.
Is your 266 also made in Slovenia?

I'm pretty sure this is what happened.
When production of the 268XP began in Huskvarna, Sweden, 266XP production ceased there but continued at the Tomos factory in Slovenia.
It didn't really make sense for Husqvarna to produce 2 very similar pro saws of identical capacity (67cc) however the Slovenian plant, which had been making the 66 (USA 268) for a number of years with an Italian Gilardoni cylinder & piston, allowed them to retain a lower-cost 266 in markets that wanted to.

On the ebay ad for the coil it said "OEM" but I doubt it..

Is your 266 also made in Slovenia?

I'm pretty sure this is what happened.
When production of the 268XP began in Huskvarna, Sweden, 266XP production ceased there but continued at the Tomos factory in Slovenia.

It indeed is a Slovenia built saw. Interestingly the 266 stayed dual coil, while the Tomos 61's went single coil. I will have to double check the years in my notes, I can't remember if they overlapped with the 266, or switched after they ended.

On the ebay ad for the coil it said "OEM" but I doubt it..

Did you scope out the seller for a genuine US address?
Did Paypal not convert the currency for it to a Chinese value?
Did you not mention it will take a couple of weeks to get here?

When it does arrive- will it be clad in a Farmertec plastic bag?
Not knocking you for buying it- as it is about the ONLY option out there to replace a two coil old Husqvarna ignition- but I very much doubt it is OEM.

It indeed is a Slovenia built saw. Interestingly the 266 stayed dual coil, while the Tomos 61's went single coil. I will have to double check the years in my notes, I can't remember if they overlapped with the 266, or switched after they ended.
No surprise about retaining with the 2-piece ignition. Apart from the c & p and plastic fuel tank, the 66 was part-number identical to the 266.

Were the Tomos 61s made a lot later than the 266s?
The 66 crankcases were cast in Slovenia - a condition of the deal between the Swedish and Yugoslavian governments in the mid-eighties - so I'm guessing the 61s were not part of that deal and so made using later-type Swedish-made cases.

The one Tomos 61 I have the serial number recorded of was a 1996. I want to say the other single coil one I have had in the shop was a 94.
Was there a difference in the 66's plastic tank? I know they ran the grey top cover like the 61's, but the 61's tank is the same as a 266's. Mag tanks were only for heated handle saws by the time the 66 came out.

Six years ago when I rebuilt my Husqvarna 61 because of no spark, I elected to buy both coils since there was no way to determine which one was bad. I replaced the one that cost the least first. That failed to fix the problem. The more expensive one did fix the problem. I kept both of them and the saw starts and runs flawlessly today.
1630880802198.jpeg

I was just wondering, not trying to get rich selling saws. I've had white top 61s before and just sold them for regular saw prices and no, it's not showroom, just not beat up. I probably won't keep it for long once it's ready to go...
Seems the costs of used non running, used running, used still new looking, hardly used new looking, the prices vary bigtime. Some of the used. Non running prices kill me, they seem to be where the used saw prices were.
With collectable saws it seems any saw that isn’t collectable now in time maybe. Just look at the older macs, homie lights. I have some white and black colored hood huskys.

We took out a mint 266se full wrap bar husky recently and fired her up. I’d never part with it but everything has its price.

Did you scope out the seller for a genuine US address?
Did Paypal not convert the currency for it to a Chinese value?
Did you not mention it will take a couple of weeks to get here?

When it does arrive- will it be clad in a Farmertec plastic bag?
Not knocking you for buying it- as it is about the ONLY option out there to replace a two coil old Husqvarna ignition- but I very much doubt it is OEM.
I think I mentioned that I doubt if it's an OEM also.

I finally got around to putting the new coils on my 61 and it still had no spark. Got to investigating and decided to remove the kill switch and then it had spark and plenty of it! Now I'm wondering if maybe the kill switch was my problem all along although I think I took the wire off once while I was testing it. Put a new kill switch on it and now I can't get it to shut off, other than pulling the choke out. I guess that gives me something to do tomorrow...

I finally got around to putting the new coils on my 61 and it still had no spark. Got to investigating and decided to remove the kill switch and then it had spark and plenty of it! Now I'm wondering if maybe the kill switch was my problem all along although I think I took the wire off once while I was testing it. Put a new kill switch on it and now I can't get it to shut off, other than pulling the choke out. I guess that gives me something to do tomorrow...
The kill switch has killed me on several occasions, or a bad/broken wire leading to the switch that won't allow it to be shut off. You would be surprised at how many saws are being shut off by the choke lever.

The kill switch has killed me on several occasions, or a bad/broken wire leading to the switch that won't allow it to be shut off. You would be surprised at how many saws are being shut off by the choke lever.
I'd still like to fix it, I doubt if some people know you can shut it off with the choke. I checked the switch with an ohmmeter and it tested good. That leaves the wire to the new coil or the ground side of the switch which I suspect is the problem. I'm thinking of running a wire from the ground side of the switch and bolting it to a good ground, it just has a metal loop touching some bare metal right now. I was thinking about drilling a hole in the middle of the loop and putting a screw in it to ground the loop to the saw body.

I'm thinking of running a wire from the ground side of the switch and bolting it to a good ground, it just has a metal loop touching some bare metal right now. I was thinking about drilling a hole in the middle of the loop and putting a screw in it to ground the loop to the saw body.
If the switch has a plastic body and a metal tab with a hole in it (see picture) it relies on a screw for grounding.
Early 61had switches with brass contacts at each end and no screw hole in the crankcase. The change happened in about 1987.
images_643.jpg

If the switch has a plastic body and a metal tab with a hole in it (see picture) it relies on a screw for grounding.
Early 61had switches with brass contacts at each end and no screw hole in the crankcase. The change happened in about 1987.
View attachment 932277
Yep, I just got done drilling the hole and putting a screw in it. Now the plastic switch works! I think now the saw is complete and it's amazing how
well that old saw runs. This is a standard 61, no porting etc..

Latest posts

Back