Husqvarna Autotube carbs = more parts to fix? ~$500 20" saw recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those no brand name Chinese saws are the same thing as that Craftman. Craftman is just a brand on there.
There are probably hundreds of different brands on Chinese saws but the insides are the same. They change colour schemes, shape of starter cover and thats it.
I like Stihl mtronics but from your picks I would take 545mark 2, has great acceleration.

Don’t buy Remington, stick to Echo, Husky, even makita/dolmar
but if you want to pull 20” you will not be happy with anything under 55cc-
when the manufactures say 46-50cc has 20” bar is the same when gm/ Ford says there small engine will pull x size trailer which when you speak to people that have that setup always say I should have bought larger engine or smaller trailer.
don’t forget rear handle is plastic, why so concerned about front handle metal? Not an issue, but cast crankcase is more important than composite one imo

All right, friends, I've definitely decided to buy at least one 20" 46cc Craftsman S205 for just $199 (and I get %10 of Lowe's), at least as a back up saw
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-S205-20-in-46-cc-2-cycle-Gas-Chainsaw/1000601365
I'm calling the police instantly without no hesitation to not press charges if the thief is caught.
Don't even know why I am bothering to post this, but to each his own: I change my opinion of what I said in my original post, " I think these long post, are you just trying to justify and convince yourself what or if to buy" TO: I think this was a waste of the guys time, on this site that know what they are talking about, giving you sound advice.

You said ("but also I currently fell in a rabbit hole deciding which new more-reliable 20" saw to get"), then just ignore reliable information you got and going to a big box store to get two of the cheapest saws you can buy, Hmm ?

Hope you don't treat your new saw with Canola oil, Penzoil 2-stroke Marine Oil ("good penzoil or something 2 stroke mixed in") or Starter fluid. Additionally ("If anything there's a bit too much oil in it, better more than less") ie: carbon build up
I would definitely add this to your cart, based on the reviews and your comments:

Lowes 2-Year Replacement Plan for Chainsaws $150-199.99 ~~~~> $29.97​

$600 saw stolen I'd be infuriated, still even a $200 one though and I'm calling the police instantly without no hesitation to not press charges if the thief is caught.

Why would you WASTE that police officers time??? minimum 2 hrs., after he/she finishes the paperwork involved, to NOT PRESS CHARGES, when they could be out doing something productive !! It would only be a misdemeanor anyway. I remember getting calls like that, thinking to myself on the way back to the car, why did that SOB call me. You're not pressing charges, don't call them, they aren't going to waste their time looking for it, unless someone comes and drops it on their desk, but they still have to make out a report and turn it over to investigation division.

I'm still scratching my head after re-reading this entire thread again.

That was a lot of time and effort put into a thread for such an unusual outcome.

To summarize it all:

Original poster: "Hi, I'm trying to select a quality pro-level saw and have numerous concerns I need addressed. What should I do?"

Arboristsite members: "OK, here's what we suggest and answers to all your questions."

Original poster: "OK. I've decided to buy the complete opposite of a quality pro-saw and ignore all shared advice on the matter."

Arboristsite members: "Oh...OK."

That was a lot of time and effort put into a thread for such an unusual outcome.

To summarize it all:

Original poster: "Hi, I'm trying to select a quality pro-level saw and have numerous concerns I need addressed. What should I do?"

Arboristsite members: "OK, here's what we suggest and answers to all your questions."

Original poster: "OK. I've decided to buy the complete opposite of a quality pro-saw and ignore all shared advice on the matter."

Arboristsite members: "Oh...OK."
amen,
just tag the thread and when he comes asking for advice on why his new craftsman mtd saw doesnt go, or work well, we all know what to say

Hope you don't treat your new saw with Canola oil, Penzoil 2-stroke Marine Oil ("good penzoil or something 2 stroke mixed in") or Starter fluid.

I don't have the bottle in front of me but it's premium 2 grade for small engines. And yes I know starting fluid is a last resort.
there's plenty of info suggesting vegetable oil works perfectly fine and there's an established member here I read only uses veg and had zero issues.
Those no brand name Chinese saws are the same thing as that Craftman. Craftman is just a brand on there.
There are probably hundreds of different brands on Chinese saws but the insides are the same. They change colour schemes, shape of starter cover and thats it.
I think even the lower end husqvarnas etc are about the same quality as these too.
but cast crankcase is more important than composite one imo
good point, if that section blows up it could be very dangerous
then just ignore reliable information you got and going to a big box store to get two of the cheapest saws you can buy, Hmm ?
I just don't like the echos don't have a primer bulb.

ANyway yea I came back just to post that personally I chose to get TWO of those 20" Craftsman AND IF they start giving me problems (mainly starting) despite being taken care of and keeping RPMs proper, THEN I will only keep on for back up and get a better saw.

ALSO, auto tune does have its flaws. I just saw this last night a recent video showing several husqvarnas with Auto Tune that have blow up from overheating.
BTW I'm not posting this to justify my craftsman purchases, I'm just noting that auto tune is not perfect, and unless you want to get the diagnostic tool and figure out how to reset it etc or pay a shop to, and there's no L H option to fix it on the spot.

I don't think I need more than 46cc in a 20in, I know that is stretching it but I'm not out there cutting for hours straight or often cutting at all with the big chainsaw.

quick review of the 46cc 20" craftsman CMXGSAMY462S, not bad, good back up saw, maybe main saw if not using much. It does lack power even in just ~12" fresh Black Walnut, but I'm not in a rush. It definitely has to do also with the stock safety chain, I tend to re sharpen on the aggressive side, might try a skip chain.

The H screw was was off out right of the box I had to open it about 3/4 turn, luckily I already have the specialty tool.

Doesn't have spare chain as thought.

Bar oil adjustment is 4 clicks and I don't think I can fully close it for storage.

I don't have the bottle in front of me but it's premium 2 grade for small engines. And yes I know starting fluid is a last resort.
there's plenty of info suggesting vegetable oil works perfectly fine and there's an established member here I read only uses veg and had zero issues.

I think even the lower end husqvarnas etc are about the same quality as these too.

good point, if that section blows up it could be very dangerous

I just don't like the echos don't have a primer bulb.

ANyway yea I came back just to post that personally I chose to get TWO of those 20" Craftsman AND IF they start giving me problems (mainly starting) despite being taken care of and keeping RPMs proper, THEN I will only keep on for back up and get a better saw.

ALSO, auto tune does have its flaws. I just saw this last night a recent video showing several husqvarnas with Auto Tune that have blow up from overheating.
BTW I'm not posting this to justify my craftsman purchases, I'm just noting that auto tune is not perfect, and unless you want to get the diagnostic tool and figure out how to reset it etc or pay a shop to, and there's no L H option to fix it on the spot.

I don't think I need more than 46cc in a 20in, I know that is stretching it but I'm not out there cutting for hours straight or often cutting at all with the big chainsaw.

Great .......vegetable oil, starting fluid and craftsman chainsaws .... ..please use You-tube next time ...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back