Husqvarna chain question for a chain expert's opinion?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Is this chain a low kickback type or NOT????
Husqvarna Saw Chain 5018470-52 3/8" .050" H35 052G X

If it's a low kickback type do you know of a part number for the NON-kickback type chain with the same specs?(that uses a 5/32 file to sharpen)

I seem to recall when I was using the Husqvarna model 36 I would get chain from the dealer that was H35 and it was not safety or reduced kickback. At that time the low kickback chain had the bumper tie straps. More modern H35 might have bumper drive links. there is shorter and longer cutters I seem to recall someone was selling a roll of long cutter with the same code as the short cutter stuff I got in loops.

The no safety features would the 91vx which is no longer offered but can be found still. And the longer cutter 91vxl. In bumper drive link format it would 91px and 91pxl. The Upstart bargain chain seems to be a copy of the 91vxl.

I kind of like the short cutter one for 35 or so cc and move over to Stihl for larger hp.

I don't think that is low-kickback chain. The one I have and like is

Husqvarna 58555001 X-Cut​

It is also not low-kickback chain and cuts like a dream. I doubt you would be dissatisfied with either.
Is this 58555001 x-cut chain you refer to available as already made up for sale with 52DL?
I only see it available in bulk rolls of around 100 ft.
I'm looking for a readily available NON low kickback chain already made up that I can order on-line that can be sharpened with a 5/32 file and 52DL, 3/8LP, 50 (1.3mm) gauge so as to replace an existing worn out non kickback chain that I already have files for.

This quote is from another thread

Oregon 91VXL052G and the 91PXL052G are both low kickback chains. (long top plate type)
This is basically false or misleading. The difference between the two is the presence of absence of bumper drive links. Sure currently depth gauge shape is made so kickback is minimized to some degree. Bar shape notably nose radius comes into play. Perhaps reduced kickback is the term maufaucters use. Pretty much any 91 class chain is low kickback compared to the larger chains currently available.

Franny K:
You wrote: Bar shape notably nose radius comes into play.

This is what I seen when I looked at these two Oregon chains mentioned. The nose tip bar radius is very small on this little saw and the above chains in some descriptions are listed as low kickback. (probably due to a short radius nose tip bar) which is also what I suspected.

I was about ready to pull the trigger on one of them until I noticed such. (low kickback not readily apparent until what you mention it noticed also)
I need a chain that I can use the bar's tip to make a plunge cut sometimes. These two chains appear they would not do such or be very wimpy when trying to do such due to the very small radius of this bar's tip..

https://www.hlsproparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=585422152
This is the current Husqvarna product. It probably plunge cuts nice new and gets worse as it is sharpened back.

The 7 tooth nose skinny bars plunge cut fine probably easier to get started than the 9 tooth ones. Can be used in a smaller diameter piece with a notch and still have a backstrap.

Sounds like you need Stihl 63PS, but finding it in ready-made 52 link loops might be tricky. I have found 63PS3 in 52 link loops. The PS3 is reduced kickback, but I know others have timed it and its no slower than the PS version.

Sounds like you need Stihl 63PS, but finding it in ready-made 52 link loops might be tricky. I have found 63PS3 in 52 link loops. The PS3 is reduced kickback, but I know others have timed it and its no slower than the PS version.
Maybe a BINGO.

I stumbled onto this Stihl chain. Wonder if the Husky bar will try to throw it out (rejection due to DNA conflict) being it's Stihl
What about a Stihl 63PM52??? (already made up)

Specs are: price to me $18

Stihl 14" Chainsaw Chain Loop (63PM 52 Drive Links)​

STL 63PM52​

Swiss made OEM chainsaw chain from Stihl. Stihl saw chain is made for the most demanding cutting conditions and is loaded with professional features. Stihl chain has Oilomatic drive link lubrication slots, which funnels oil directly to the rivet to reduce wear. Stihl chain is also pre-stretched at the factory, which helps eliminate excess adjustments during break in periods. 63PM is part of the Stihl Picco Micro series. 63PM has semi-chisel cutters which are easy to sharpen and it will stay sharp longer than a chisel chain. This chain has no significant kickback reduction features (See warnings below), and is recommended for professional use only.

The PM is perfect if you want semi-chisel instead of full-chisel.
Installed the PM today and tested. (it was available locally from a stihl dealer)
The 63PM52 worked out great. Cuts hardwood really good and the saw pulls it ok at full bar cut. Cannot ride or push the saw any or it will pull the rpm's down, really just right. As the teeth wear back it will really be good.
I will be getting some more of these chains for my other LP saws. eventually. Cost little more (18) but do not mind paying more for a quality made chain.
I can re-sharpen the semi chisel easier (for me) than the full chisel.

I was concerned that the Husqvarna might not like the Stihl DNA but so far the bar has not done any rejection.

Back