Husqvarna G288 Chinese clone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a G660 for going on 4 years and I have done nothing but run it straight from the box. It has cut 40+ cords of wood and runs as good as my 661. Never done anything except increase rpm's to 13,000. Run 40:1 schaeffers in it. If the 288 is anything in comparison to it I will buy one.

First run of oil pumps had issues. Put a new Rasiman in it works like a dream and flows a river on 4. The new FT ones have same marking now I seen. Have one of those on way too.

Local blind ported this one and it felt like twice the saw it was in stock form.

g288op.jpgg288oppp.jpgg288fw.jpg

First run of oil pumps had issues. Put a new Rasiman in it works like a dream and flows a river on 4. The new FT ones have same marking now I seen. Have one of those on way too.

Local blind ported this one and it felt like twice the saw it was in stock form.

View attachment 971925View attachment 971929View attachment 971930
The oiler on my 288 copy leaks but this is common. After 2 months of hard use it has no issues. The ported meteor cylinder and domed piston seated in and using the compression release is a must!! I run a Tsumura 32” bar and full comp chipper chain on it with a 8 tooth drive sprocket on it and it’s been worth the money - so far.

The oiler on my 288 copy leaks but this is common. After 2 months of hard use it has no issues. The ported meteor cylinder and domed piston seated in and using the compression release is a must!! I run a Tsumura 32” bar and full comp chipper chain on it with a 8 tooth drive sprocket on it and it’s been worth the money - so far.

But why live with the leak if you dont have to. Put some dirko or Threebond 1194 1184 in pump groove.

The aftermarket line guys are saying are a hair short to go to oem line. Me I just did the redneck fix and stopped the leak part.

This one is wears a 36" for guys uses.

g288pump.jpg

But why live with the leak if you dont have to. Put some dirko or Threebond 1194 1194 in pump groove.

The aftermarket line guys are saying are a hair short to go to oem line. Me I just did the redneck fix and stopped the leak part.

View attachment 972238
But why live with the leak if you dont have to. Put some dirko or Threebond 1194 1194 in pump groove.

View attachment 972238
You’re right I’ll take it down tomorrow and fix it

Brand New member here. Always found this site from web searches and have enjoyed learning. - seriously considering pulling the trigger on the G288 powerhead in orange. Fathers Day Special $268 shipped. Anyone have any recent experience?
I caught this saw bug a few years back after saving my pennies and splurging on a 562. A couple dozen or so cords later and.... Earlier this spring I lucked out on a bargain on a 545 Mark II. The 288 would be for bucking and of course the grin factor. :chainsaw:

I just checked them out. They look pretty good, much better than the blue.
They’re offered as a complete power head in the orange now. I have a blue one that I changed out the oil pump, used a highway cylinder and piston and have run it like I stole it for almost 6 months with no issues. 4 of those months were with the loggers as a felling saw.

They’re offered as a complete power head in the orange now. I have a blue one that I changed out the oil pump, used a highway cylinder and piston and have run it like I stole it for almost 6 months with no issues. 4 of those months were with the loggers as a felling saw.
Good to know there's potential. Curious, did you experience problems with the pump, piston, and cylinder? Or were they changed to ensure a more trustworthy rig?

Good to know there's potential. Curious, did you experience problems with the pump, piston, and cylinder? Or were they changed to ensure a more trustworthy rig?
I ran it a week and since I have a real 288 to compare it to I didn’t like the way it ran. Down on power, and had an oil pump leak. So I changed it up with better parts and it came alive. I run it at 40:1 mix though

The early pumps with no marking was issues TOP. If your pump comes like the one I was sent to replace with by farmertec BOTTOM. It is the one that is used now. List suppose to be if newer.

Stock mine was 150psi after 2 tanks and .033 squish with base gasket.

It got ported after and no base gasket and was a much better saw to use then.

g288op.jpgg288psi.jpgg288squish.jpg

The early pumps with no marking was issues TOP. If your pump comes like the one I was sent to replace with by farmertec BOTTOM. It is the one that is used now. List suppose to be if newer.

Stock mine was 150psi after 2 tanks and .033 squish with base gasket.

It got ported after and no base gasket and was a much better saw to use then.

View attachment 995949View attachment 995950View attachment 995951
I didn’t use the piston that came with the kit I used a domed piston from LRB. Don’t use their wrist pin! Plus a base gasket delete. Ended up with 22 as squish. I didn’t port this one. I did port the blue 372 that I have.

I didn’t use the piston that came with the kit I used a domed piston from LRB. Don’t use their wrist pin! Plus a base gasket delete. Ended up with 22 as squish. I didn’t port this one. I did port the blue 372 that I have.
Awesome info, thanks!
Now another possible deal unfolded. A local pawn shop has a Redmax G9000. Other than not liking the name. Would this not be close to a 390 or 2188? They want about twice the cost of the China saw. Hhhm

Awesome info, thanks!
Now another possible deal unfolded. A local pawn shop has a Redmax G9000. Other than not liking the name. Would this not be close to a 390 or 2188? They want about twice the cost of the China saw. Hhhm
They changed stickers from Jonsered to redmax a few years ago. It’s not a copy. It is exactly a 2188

Back