Husqvarna Rancher 50 stalling when tilted to 45 degrees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smhaupt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, So I did this post once before and have still trying to pinpoint what is causing the stalling when I tilt the saw up to 45 degrees or more ( it runs, revs up and stalls ). The saw idles great ( I let it run a whole tank of gas, no issues ). the saw runs when pointed straight down, no issues, it runs upside down, horizontal with no issues. Here is a list of changes I did, each one was completed and the saw tested but it made no difference ( I concluded that I've yet to hit on the actual issue ). I keep thinking that something in the exhaust is causing me issues as the exhaust is up when the saw is at a 45 degree, the remaining time it's horizontal or pointed down.

1st - Two different carburetors, current one is new. Did not fix my issue
2nd - New seals, and new piston ring, did not see any issues with cylinder or piston, no scoring discoloring. Did not fix issue
3rd - Disassembled the entire saw, new crank seals, case seal, oil pump. Did not fix my issue
4th - Installed a new cylinder and piston ( had to upgrade to a Rancher 55 version ). Did not fix my issue

The saw starts up great, idles great, but I'm at a loss as to what is causing it to stall when I tilt it up. I'm bound and determined to fix this, but I may have to hand it over to a small engine shop ( I like all my equipment to work, it's useless if it doesn't ). I will say this is my 1st complete tear-down of a saw, it's not complicated ( with the correct tools, which I have purchased ). Every part has been cleaned and checked each time I have disassembled the saw. At this point, all seals have been replaced through out the entire saw ( more than once ). Thanks in advanced for any suggestions of where to look next.

When I have the RPM's up ( around 1/2 max ) I start tilting the saw, 10 seconds it speeds up and stalls.
Out of curiosity, have you checked the fuel level when the saw is acting up? I guess what I’m asking is does it stall out with a full tank? I’ve noticed these saws have a short fuel hose. If the fuel level is low and you rotate the saw flywheel side up they will stall out.

Out of curiosity, have you checked the fuel level when the saw is acting up? I guess what I’m asking is does it stall out with a full tank? I’ve noticed these saws have a short fuel hose. If the fuel level is low and you rotate the saw flywheel side up they will stall out.
All new parts, new filtser, hose, full tank ect.

All new parts, new filtser, hose, full tank ect.
Quit throwing parts at it. find out what is wrong (diagnose). Slowly tip it up and see where it starts. Put it back down and see if it stops. Look all over as it revs. From underneath probably best. If you have broken or soft mounts the saw may be flexing to the point where the oval boot is slipping off the bottom. As was mentioned the little grommet at the pulse line is problematic on this model. It revs because it is leaning out (but you knew this didn't you?)

I had a husky with a similar problem, it was the fuel line. There was a crack in it. The rubber was old. I replaced it along with the filter and I was good to go.

Hello, So I did this post once before and have still trying to pinpoint what is causing the stalling when I tilt the saw up to 45 degrees or more ( it runs, revs up and stalls ). The saw idles great ( I let it run a whole tank of gas, no issues ). the saw runs when pointed straight down, no issues, it runs upside down, horizontal with no issues. Here is a list of changes I did, each one was completed and the saw tested but it made no difference ( I concluded that I've yet to hit on the actual issue ). I keep thinking that something in the exhaust is causing me issues as the exhaust is up when the saw is at a 45 degree, the remaining time it's horizontal or pointed down.

2nd - New seals, and new piston ring, did not see any issues with cylinder or piston, no scoring discoloring. Did not fix issue
3rd - Disassembled the entire saw, new crank seals, case seal, oil pump. Did not fix my issue
4th - Installed a new cylinder and piston ( had to upgrade to a Rancher 55 version ). Did not fix my issue

The saw starts up great, idles great, but I'm at a loss as to what is causing it to stall when I tilt it up. I'm bound and determined to fix this, but I may have to hand it over to a small engine shop ( I like all my equipment to work, it's useless if it doesn't ). I will say this is my 1st complete tear-down of a saw, it's not complicated ( with the correct tools, which I have purchased ). Every part has been cleaned and checked each time I have disassembled the saw. At this point, all seals have been replaced through out the entire saw ( more than once ). Thanks in advanced for any suggestions of where to look next.
SUSPICION would be that FUEL LINE IN TANK OLD/ STIFF, OR CRACKED BROKEN, OR Fuel Filter has come off line, or LINE too long and cannot fall to bottom of tank with changing positions?

Try spraying different areas with brake clean with thin straw to check for air leaks. Spray with saw warmed up and running and if it stalls out you found your problem area.

A fűrész remekül indul, remekül jár alapjáraton, de tanácstalan vagyok, hogy mi okozhatja a leállást, amikor feldöntöm. Elkötelezett vagyok és elhatároztam, hogy ezt megjavítom, de lehet, hogy át kell adnom egy kis motorműhelybe (szeretem, hogy minden felszerelésem működik, hiába, ha nem). Mondom, ez az 1. teljes fűrészbontásom, nem bonyolult (megfelelő szerszámokkal, amiket vásároltam). Minden alkatrészt megtisztítottam és ellenőriztem minden alkalommal, amikor szétszereltem a fűrészt. Ezen a ponton az összes tömítést kicserélték a teljes fűrészen (többször is). Előre is köszönöm a javaslatokat, hogy merre nézz tovább.
Oil seal!

Latest posts

Back