Husqvarna saw has me stumped

J D

ArboristSite Guru
Update, it seems like it was the carb. I pulled it off and blew it out with compressed air, idles and runs fine now. I still need to get it perfectly dialed in, but somehow the brand new carb must have gotten plugged. Who knows how, but glad I've got it working now. Thanks again for all the advice here.
Glad you got it sorted, I'd say you had/have crud in the fuel tank... I had a 460 recently that wouldn't run due to a leaky primer.
FWIW, it's not usually a good idea to blow compressed air through the carbs, there's a check valve in the main nozzle that doesn't tend to like it

ktpnw

ktpnw

ArboristSite Lurker
Glad you got it sorted, I'd say you had/have crud in the fuel tank... I had a 460 recently that wouldn't run due to a leaky primer.
FWIW, it's not usually a good idea to blow compressed air through the carbs, there's a check valve in the main nozzle that doesn't tend to like it
Good to know on the compressed air, thanks. Out of curiosity, just so I understand, how/why would a leaking primer keep it from running? I though that was just for getting it started

J D

ArboristSite Guru
Good to know on the compressed air, thanks. Out of curiosity, just so I understand, how/why would a leaking primer keep it from running? I though that was just for getting it started
It introduces an air leak into the fuel system causing the carb to draw less or no fuel. The valve's going in the primers can cause issues too.
Your correct in that the primer is just to make starting easier. It can be done away with completely... however, the lines must be properly sealed for that to work & the saw will usually take a few more pulls to start

ktpnw

ktpnw

ArboristSite Lurker
It introduces an air leak into the fuel system causing the carb to draw less or no fuel. The valve's going in the primers can cause issues too.
Your correct in that the primer is just to make starting easier. It can be done away with completely... however, the lines must be properly sealed for that to work & the saw will usually take a few more pulls to start
Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

ktpnw

ktpnw

ArboristSite Lurker
2 1/2 turn out on hi sounds excessive but if aftermarket who knows?I had a Huztl 372 carb that liked 1/2 turn out on the hi side.
I haven’t seen an actual physical shop manual, but I found what someone said was copied from the shop manual saying that was the stock setting for this saw. I actually have it a bit further out than that. While it now runs well, I do think there might still be a tiny leak somewhere between the carb and cylinder as it does seem that it needs to be adjusted rich to run well. The intake manifold does not seem to have any cracks or tears, but the plastic piece between the carb and rubber manifold looks like it could be slightly warped. It was only $15 so I ordered one to try and see if that improves things and allows it to run well without the screw out so far.