Husqvarna T540xp control unit issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Fixr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good Day,
Does anyone here work on these electrics? I Have the above saw that I determined the control unit was bad. Verified this by using a known good control unit from another saw…
Received the new part(6 month wait time), installed it, and the control panel just flashes until battery is removed. Supposed to be plug and play, but wondering if the part (all electronic)needs programming?
Might just have a defective mfgrs part, which I’m trying to determine.

Thanks

Good Day,
Does anyone here work on these electrics? I Have the above saw that I determined the control unit was bad. Verified this by using a known good control unit from another saw…
Received the new part(6 month wait time), installed it, and the control panel just flashes until battery is removed. Supposed to be plug and play, but wondering if the part (all electronic)needs programming?
Might just have a defective mfgrs part, which I’m trying to determine.

Thanks
I've had the same problems and more... no support help from husqvarna. They just tell you to take it to your local husky dealer....

Good morning Xmaniac,
So..I’ve since recently received the Husqvarna “Service Hub” software and begun using it…this software is needed when replacing certain parts, and the control unit, which is the “brain”, needs to have the firmware installed.

What kinds of issues are you having? Maybe I can help steer you in the right direction…

Thanks for the reply Saw fixr. So, I too got fed up with the so called local saw mechanic's and my local husqvarna dealer. Outrageous hourly rates and poor at best workmanship, turnaround time, etc.etc. I've been working on saws for years, port and polish, squash cylinders, etc. However, electric saws are not my specialty..yet... My t540ixp from 2021 had an issue one day. I was cutting through a 8" diameter stub and heard a popping noise and then smelt burnt plastic, noticed smoke coming out of the side plate cover. Saw wouldn't work, I switched out the battery to a fully charged one.. no lights, nothing...Broke it down at my shop, main control board unit was definitely warped,the red wire port loose.. so I bought a new one for 250 buck's. Installed it, once the power button was pressed, all 4 green lights on the control panel just kept flashing, no buttons or trigger worked. Tried another charged battery and still the same. Bought a new control panel and wiring assembly, still does the same thing. Any idea's? Where do you purchase the service hub Kit and how much $?

Yup… when you replaced the main control unit, it doesn’t know what it is yet…you need access to the “service hub” from Husqvarna. It’s pretty much as simple as plugging the unit into a laptop, with the “service hub”, and your battery in between, inputting the serial number and product #, and updating the firmware. About a 15 minute job.

If your local dealer has this software, they would have no problem doing it.

By chance, Are you anywhere near Denver, Co?

Yup… when you replaced the main control unit, it doesn’t know what it is yet…you need access to the “service hub” from Husqvarna. It’s pretty much as simple as plugging the unit into a laptop, with the “service hub”, and your battery in between, inputting the serial number and product #, and updating the firmware. About a 15 minute job.

If your local dealer has this software, they would have no problem doing it.

By chance, Are you anywhere near Denver, Co?
So is Service Hub only available for dealers? My dealer here is the reason why I learned how to work on small engines.. They're clueless...charge $90 an hour to hook up a saw to a laptop....As a customer of over 25 years who's purchased 10's of thousands of dollars with them, you'd think they'd do it for free.. its surprising that nobody has hacked the husqvarna software and made it available to saw mechanic's or do it yourselvers. I'd totally pay for a copy of the software and cables. Unfortunately, I'm not close to Colorado, here in Santa Barbara, CA.

I think it might be a dealer only thing, but I’m not 💯 sure. It most likely probably is. That’s bs that they charge that much. But from their side, it’s still labor, overhead, profit etc, I guess…

Actually, I just looked it up by the part number, and it might be a part you can purchase.
P/n 583 897 101

I saw some posts about this unit saying it doesn't update firmware... do you know if this is true? From what I know is It'll do diagnostics and simple adjustments unless you're a authorized dealer which gets you an account and access to software...

Ahh, good question. Unfortunately, I can’t answer that one. I side hustle for a local dealer, and I’m signed in under their account, so that may be true.

I have noticed that sometimes, it doesn’t “connect” to the unit being repaired, and in that case, you can’t even use the diagnostic/troubleshooting process either. It seems pretty weird that sometimes it will connect, and other times not.
But, I’ve been successful in replacing 2 control units now, and probably have 5 more on order.

Maybe have a conversation with your dealer and ask him if he’d give you a break on programming it for you? It’s literally a 15 minute job… especially since you said you’ve spent so much $ there over the years.

As a customer of over 25 years who's purchased 10's of thousands of dollars with them, you'd think they'd do it for free..

I don't understand this thinking at all, would you ask your dealer to do 15 minutes of any other work for free? Whether they're using a screwdriver and wrench or a laptop, it's still time they have to take. A laptop, computer program, and dealer subscription, are all still tools that were a significant investment and need to be paid for.

I agree, don't pay an hour for 15 minutes of work, but not expecting to pay for those 15 minutes isn't reasonable at all.

I don't understand this thinking at all, would you ask your dealer to do 15 minutes of any other work for free? Whether they're using a screwdriver and wrench or a laptop, it's still time they have to take. A laptop, computer program, and dealer subscription, are all still tools that were a significant investment and need to be paid for.

I agree, don't pay an hour for 15 minutes of work, but not expecting to pay for those 15 minutes isn't reasonable at all.

Most shops around here instituted one hour minimum charges ($~90) a couple-few years back. Places now are charging $10 just to take a link out of a chain, and $10-15 to make up a loop from a roll brought in to them.

Most shops around here instituted one hour minimum charges ($~90) a couple-few years back. Places now are charging $10 just to take a link out of a chain, and $10-15 to make up a loop from a roll brought in to them.

Right, Their time isn't free, and shop tools carry a very real cost, even if it's a computer and interface program instead of a chain breaker. So why would someone expect to not pay that?

I personally feel that in the 25 year's of buying equipment from my local saw shop, instead of purchasing on line, that they could throw me a bone once in a while?? The previous owner's would've simply given me a replacement, no questions asked... The other problem I have is that husqvarna doesn't offer the firmware at a "price".. when purchasing their diagnostic tool kit without specifying that firmware necessary for battery operated saws is only available to husqvarna authorized dealers.... my local saw shop's poor service, high prices and lack of knowledge is why I became a small engine mechanic and started porting/polishing/modifying/repairing my own saws....

Latest posts

Back