Husqvarna Two-Piece ignition Explained please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonard Meehan

OldChainsawGuy
Reaction score
Husqvarna two-piece ignition system.

Saw Specs: Husqvarna 61 1983 Big bore 50mm Two piece ignition Large thread crankshaft.

This is a junk saw I am resurrecting.

My question is about the two-piece ignition system. I would like to learn all I can about it. It would also be nice to get some spark out of it. How to test each piece?

Problem: No spark. Flywheel cleaned. Gap set at .012in no spark Set at .008 , no spark

Ohm readings: Module ( on flywheel) Gray wire to ground 101 ohms. Yellow wire to ground OPEN

Coil (spark plug wire) Yellow wire to ground OPEN

Spark plug to Yellow wire 697 ohms

Spark plug wire to ground 697 ohms

When the flywheel is rotated with a drill: Module puts out 3.4vac Gray wire to ground Rpm bout 200

Thanks to all you guys. There is so much wonderful information on this site. You give your time and knowledge freely. It is appreciated.

I love to fix up old chainsaws. I got the bug about two years ago. Bringing an old junk saw back to live is a big thrill. I must be crazy. At least here I am in good company!

Attachments

• Husqvarna 61 rebuild 036.JPG
    Husqvarna 61 rebuild 036.JPG
    761 KB · Views: 45
Your no crazier than anyone else here ;). I do have an old workshop manual at home. Ill look and see what they say.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Update: After a year working on my Husqvarna 61 I got it running. It runs strong. Pulls a 25 inch bar easy. I got so frustrated I just put it on the shelf for about 6 mounts!
I replaced the coil, module with after market. New kill switch. When I would test for spark and nothing. I did not get it to turn over very fast. The spark was so weak that I could not see it. One day I had the light off and saw the spark. I am not sure if the original coil or module is the failed part.
I guess I will change my profile picture now to the Restored 61. This saw was rescued from a scrap metal dealer. I feel good that it is running again. The fact the I have no use for it and have too much money into it make little difference. It was my learning saw and I learned a lot.

Here is a list of the parts i put into this saw.
HUSQVARNA 61

Clutch #1 did not fit
Clutch # 2 did not fit
Clutch # 3
Oil & fuel caps
Gasket set
Fuel hose , filter
Clutch cover new
Spark plug
Carb Kit
Coil
Magnito
Rubber mounts
Chain 24"
Bar 24"
New top cover Did not fit.

Here is a list of the parts i put into this saw.
HUSQVARNA 61

Clutch #1 did not fit
Clutch # 2 did not fit
Clutch # 3

Hi, Leonard, I too, am experiencing some 61 clutch issues. I have one from 1986 (I believe). I wanted to convert the spur sprocket to a rim sprocket so I got an Oregon part for the "newer" model, but it is juuuuuust to small. I must have an "early model" type with a bigger crankshaft (bigger by 1/32?) tho I haven't yet determined if I have the coarse thread. I also noticed that the clutch is odd/may need to be replaced. It's blurry in the first picture, but the surface of the clutch is not flat like every other clutch I've seen, its more like two-leveled. You can see the (shiny) surface that contacts the drum, and the corresponding shiny surface on the inside of the drum. It's worn a groove on that part of the drum. But the other half of the clutch's surface doesn't seem to make contact at all. The second picture is the profile of the clutch surface (above my index finger.) . See what I mean? Has anyone seen a clutch like that? And Leonard, do you happen to know what the part number was on the clutch that worked for you? 0309191634.jpg 0309191645.jpg

Husqvarna two-piece ignition system.

Saw Specs: Husqvarna 61 1983 Big bore 50mm Two piece ignition Large thread crankshaft.

This is a junk saw I am resurrecting.

My question is about the two-piece ignition system. I would like to learn all I can about it. It would also be nice to get some spark out of it. How to test each piece?

Problem: No spark. Flywheel cleaned. Gap set at .012in no spark Set at .008 , no spark

Ohm readings: Module ( on flywheel) Gray wire to ground 101 ohms. Yellow wire to ground OPEN

Coil (spark plug wire) Yellow wire to ground OPEN

Spark plug to Yellow wire 697 ohms

Spark plug wire to ground 697 ohms

When the flywheel is rotated with a drill: Module puts out 3.4vac Gray wire to ground Rpm bout 200

Thanks to all you guys. There is so much wonderful information on this site. You give your time and knowledge freely. It is appreciated.

I love to fix up old chainsaws. I got the bug about two years ago. Bringing an old junk saw back to live is a big thrill. I must be crazy. At least here I am in good company!

Did you happen to take impedance measurements of the new replacements?
I have the same saw, and these are my test results... also no spark.

Husqvarna 61 Ignition impedances

Primary module
Iron coil to yellow output = open
Iron coil to black output = 5.3 ohm

Secondary
Iron coil to spark plug connector = 1.36kohm

Pretty much no measurable vac or vdc when spinning the flywheel with drill...
I am pretty sure it needs a module, but just want to compare with known good specs.

Did you happen to take impedance measurements of the new replacements?
I have the same saw, and these are my test results... also no spark.

Husqvarna 61 Ignition impedances

Primary module
Iron coil to yellow output = open
Iron coil to black output = 5.3 ohm

Secondary
Iron coil to spark plug connector = 1.36kohm

Pretty much no measurable vac or vdc when spinning the flywheel with drill...
I am pretty sure it needs a module, but just want to compare with known good specs.
Replaced 501 51 61-02 ignition module with new Husqvarna 501 81 27-02 that comes as part of ignition module conversion kit 586 72 55-01.

Now the output from the module is from
3 to 20 Vac while running the flywheel ccw with my drill ... 3V slow... 20V at 1700 rpm.

Also, my secondary coil measured 0.7 ohm input to 1370 ohm output for a step up ratio of approximately 2000. Now this = good spark !

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20211129_134249.jpg
    20211129_134249.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211129_134317.jpg
    20211129_134317.jpg
    1,008.5 KB · Views: 8
Back