Husqvarna XP372 Dogged in Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Sawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Question to the XP372 user... My dad passed on to me his full wrap XP372, he finally retired from wood cutting at 87. Old time timber fallers... just have to cut wood as long as they can, so this saw means a lot to me. He retired from falling at 64 and cut firewood all most every day until the last few years. He’s worn out some saws after he retired and log splitter motors.

The saw was missing the clutch cover dog, I picked up a stock dog from the local saw shop…hmm in stock on the shelve? This shop caters to the timber industry not so much the homeowner. I asked the guy what do faller do with this dog coming off every time they change the chain. If you every changed out a chain out in the brush in the PNW, things tend to get lost. His answer “well some guys put a wood screw in it”.

I know there’s a lot of XP372 users so what do you do is my question? This would bug me to much.

Looks to me husky thought about this and left 2 small untapped bosses in the cover casting for screws to hold the dog in place while the cover was removed. The stock dog has 4 mm hole drill in it that match center boss. To use the forward boss, a 4mm hole must be drilled in the dog. I tapped the two bosses with 4mm threads after pre-drilling with 3.3 mm drill bit. After doing this I think a guy could just tap the holes without predrilling. I loctited the screws in, I figured I could heat up the screw with heat gun if I ever need to remove them. I installed two 4mm x 10mm screws.

I dump the fuel, checked the air filter, took some pulls and it does cut well...nice cutting saw. The covers are a bit sun faded.

Attachments

• pre-Dogged XP372 .jpeg
    pre-Dogged XP372 .jpeg
    492.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Dogged XP372 .jpeg
    Dogged XP372 .jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Dad D82U.jpg
    Dad D82U.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG4181.jpg
    IMAG4181.jpg
    891.9 KB · Views: 0
Question to the XP372 user... My dad passed on to me his full wrap XP372, he finally retired from wood cutting at 87. Old time timber fallers... just have to cut wood as long as they can, so this saw means a lot to me. He retired from falling at 64 and cut firewood all most every day until the last few years. He’s worn out some saws after he retired and log splitter motors.

The saw was missing the clutch cover dog, I picked up a stock dog from the local saw shop…hmm in stock on the shelve? This shop caters to the timber industry not so much the homeowner. I asked the guy what do faller do with this dog coming off every time they change the chain. If you every changed out a chain out in the brush in the PNW, things tend to get lost. His answer “well some guys put a wood screw in it”.

I know there’s a lot of XP372 users so what do you do is my question? This would bug me to much.

Looks to me husky thought about this and left 2 small untapped bosses in the cover casting for screws to hold the dog in place while the cover was removed. The stock dog has 4 mm hole drill in it that match center boss. To use the forward boss, a 4mm hole must be drilled in the dog. I tapped the two bosses with 4mm threads after pre-drilling with 3.3 mm drill bit. After doing this I think a guy could just tap the holes without predrilling. I loctited the screws in, I figured I could heat up the screw with heat gun if I ever need to remove them. I installed two 4mm x 10mm screws.

I dump the fuel, checked the air filter, took some pulls and it does cut well...nice cutting saw. The covers are a bit sun faded.

Back