hydraulic log splitter issue

STEADY EDDIE

STEADY EDDIE

ArboristSite Lurker
Joined
Oct 6, 2009
Messages
18
Location
HILLSBOROUGH NJ
I need help. I found an old Brute log splitter at the scrap yard. I restored the it back to running order however Im having an issue with the hydraulics.
Im running a 21 hp honda with a 28 gallon per minute pump that runs up to a two spool valve which operates the log lift and and the wedge. After it leaves the two spool it travels to the single spool valve which operates the hydraulic piston. It has all new hydraulic oil, new filter, and I had the piston re-sealed and the rod polished at a local hydraulic shop cause it was leaking out of the end. I installed a pressure gauge after the pump before the double spool valve. So here is the issue....
I powered up the machine and when the ram is fully extended and bottoms out the pressure reads 3000 psi. If I put a log on the beam the piston extends, hits the log and wont split it- gauge reads 2000 psi ????? Also want to add that when i utilize the log lift which is the first spool on the double spool valve the pressure gauge spikes to 4000psi and practically stalls the honda motor and severly bogs down the pump. I need help cant afford to keep throwing money at this? Thanks all
 
STEADY EDDIE

STEADY EDDIE

ArboristSite Lurker
Joined
Oct 6, 2009
Messages
18
Location
HILLSBOROUGH NJ
is the pump a single or 2 stage pump ?
Thats a good question There are no markings on it but I would assume its two stage? That was the first thing I though and I ordered new 28 gallon pump from surplus center Its sittin here on the bench but Im just trying to diagnose before I throw all new parts on it Thanks
 
STEADY EDDIE

STEADY EDDIE

ArboristSite Lurker
Joined
Oct 6, 2009
Messages
18
Location
HILLSBOROUGH NJ
I just went out and took these. Its a northern pump cant make out anything else
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3876.MOV
    11.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3873.MOV
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3872.JPG
    IMG_3872.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 7
djones

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
Joined
Nov 25, 2010
Messages
4,537
Location
uptown Porter Corners, NY
I think the previous owner had a hydraulic issue and cranked the relief valve down to max pressure on the spool valve. try swapping the hoses for the wedge and the lift. They are close enough together to reach. you could also swap the wedge lines with the piston line and not connect the piston line to the wedge. just don't hit that valve handle.
 
djones

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
Joined
Nov 25, 2010
Messages
4,537
Location
uptown Porter Corners, NY
Ok, now that I have looked at the brute force website I see that I think your splitter has the auto cycling feature which accounts for all the extra hydraulic hoses and connections. Depending on what you intend to do, I would pull all the hydraulic hoses off and check for hose collapse internally. Check that valve on the front of the I-beam. If that has a leak or does not close off properly you could lose pressure through it. Personally I would do a rerouting of the hoses to simply allow me to split wood. I don't know if the piston valve is original but it doesn't look like the other two. If it was mine I would go with a triple stack valve. Simple in , out, return, done. It's probably cheaper than the new pump.
 
Top