Hyway vs meteor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssm1699

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been awhile since I have been on. I am redoing the topend of my FT 660 kit saw, currently all FT parts, except for the carb. I have a Hyway pop-up piston, caber rings for the top end and was going to reuse the ft jug. When I slide the hyway piston into the cylinder without rings, it feels like a slight drag and I figured I could bevel the intake edges more. My biggest concern is more a casting flaw that I just found in the transfer port area, so I would rather run a different cylinder. Have been debating between a Hyway Titanikel and a Meteor cylinder.

What is everyones feeling between the two different brands. No porting will be done. Maybe some light blending and polishing, but nothing to really affect timing, to much. Just looking for some input.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Here are pictures of the cylinder. It does have about 2 hrs run time with the ft slug and rings, but that is it. You can see the defects in the transfer ports, that I was talking about. It would be the defect in molding at the outside edges. The top edge of the intake port is very evidently sharp and not beveled. These are the reasons I want to use a different cylinder.
a8c4a97eaf0f171743de7acb944d9ee0.jpg
1c104840e6a54c3f596423dabb8e1ee5.jpg
a39cea9757ae06fe1fe94f1bceb07571.jpg
ea5cc4ea94d370549d3a3cc8ba07019c.jpg

The chamfers on that jug are pretty fugly. Some time with a grinder might help/fix things. The casting inside the ports aren't very smooth either. I'd polish the ex port.

Can't help with the Hiway vs Meteor. On principal I'd get the Meteor if they are still made in Italy and not Chi-Com.

Meteor and Hiway cylinders are cast at the same plant in Taiwan. The difference is Hiway are plated there as well, where Meteors are plated in Italy. I haven’t seen much of a difference in them, but I don’t have much hands-on experience with them either. Mostly just pictures here and there

I have a Titanikel kit waiting to go on a Husky 350. I will say the overall finish inside and out looks very good. Smooth and uniform plating with great chamfering.

Never had a meteor cyl yet but the pistons are great. In fact, I have a project 55 Rancher that I will probably get a Meteor kit.

Now, according to the Tinman on YouTube, that Titanikel kit he used on a saw took a bit longer to break in/seat the rings. Hardness of the plating I would assume. I think he said he uses the regular Hyway rings instead of Cabers cause of longer break in times. I'm not 100% on that tho. Been a while since I seen that vid.

Meteor and Hiway cylinders are cast at the same plant in Taiwan. The difference is Hiway are plated there as well, where Meteors are plated in Italy. I haven’t seen much of a difference in them, but I don’t have much hands-on experience with them either. Mostly just pictures here and there
The meteor plating is a lot thicker I've noticed in the one's I've used.

The chamfers on that jug are pretty fugly. Some time with a grinder might help/fix things. The casting inside the ports aren't very smooth either. I'd polish the ex port.

Can't help with the Hiway vs Meteor. On principal I'd get the Meteor if they are still made in Italy and not Chi-Com.
That is a good share of why I am wanting to use a different cylinder. Use this cylinder for playing with grinding. Rather destroy this cylinder for learning than a higher dollar cylinder.

Been awhile since I have been on. I am redoing the topend of my FT 660 kit saw, currently all FT parts, except for the carb. I have a Hyway pop-up piston, caber rings for the top end and was going to reuse the ft jug. When I slide the hyway piston into the cylinder without rings, it feels like a slight drag and I figured I could bevel the intake edges more. My biggest concern is more a casting flaw that I just found in the transfer port area, so I would rather run a different cylinder. Have been debating between a Hyway Titanikel and a Meteor cylinder.

What is everyones feeling between the two different brands. No porting will be done. Maybe some light blending and polishing, but nothing to really affect timing, to much. Just looking for some input.

Thanks.

I recently had a372 implode from a simple very small piece of carbon that got stuck to the combustion chamber of a hy way cylinder. The piece of carbon came off taking with it 3/16” of its plating. The plating is what did the damage I deducted after examining how it got between the piston then rings then skirt.

I recently had a372 implode from a simple very small piece of carbon that got stuck to the combustion chamber of a hy way cylinder. The piece of carbon came off taking with it 3/16” of its plating. The plating is what did the damage I deducted after examining how it got between the piston then rings then skirt.there’s no comparison…Meteor is way to go… unfortunately hard to get for many saws

Thanks.

Why are you working on a chinesium machine to begin with?

Why are you working on a chinesium machine to begin with?
Because I am not going to buy or can I afford to buy a brand new genuine roughly $1300 stihl saw, without bars and chains. And used 660s around here either goes for pretty penny or are completely clapped out and way over priced for such. I enjoy working on small engines. All of my saws are machines either given to me or that I have purchased for very cheap. I have maybe $500 into it, including the 32" and 36" bars and chains. I also would rather tinker with and modify a machine that I have about a 1/4 the money in and know inside/out because I built it 100%.

I have only every used 2 aftermarket top ends. I built a NWP Dolkita 8401 that ran fine. With that much displacement it had little choice. The second is a Meteor top end on an MS360. Its a total dog. My 039 runs better way better, and its a dog. A newer MS361 will mop the floor with it and come back for seconds. I'm not supper impressed. Quality looked ok and it runs fine. Just no guts. Kinda turned me off to aftermarket top ends.

Bullittman

I use a mix of Hyway and Meteor (generally) all with good results. I really see little difference in the pistons (I'm no expert). I have read the cylinders are cast at same plant as stated above. I think people lean toward Meteor for 2 reasons they come with caber rings and people see them as made in Italy vs Taiwan/China. I agree that non-branded aftermarket is a crap shoot.

I use a mix of Hyway and Meteor (generally) all with good results. I really see little difference in the pistons (I'm no expert). I have read the cylinders are cast at same plant as stated above. I think people lean toward Meteor for 2 reasons they come with caber rings and people see them as made in Italy vs Taiwan/China. I agree that non-branded aftermarket is a crap shoot.
This (imo) is the kind of thing to read, not someone puffing out their chest and claiming "Why are you working on a chinesium machine to begin with?" type of rubbish...

Back