I’m building a winch to pull large fat lighter stumps out of the ground, could use some advice/help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have removed various tree stumps over the years. I strongly recommend leaving as much of the trunk as you can, so that you can use it as a lever. Ie, fasten your chain/cable high up on tree trunk. The shorter the "stump" the more powerful and more heavy-duty (and more risky) the requirements of your project will be. You can always cut the trunk off later. Also be aware the stumps like to "flop" back into their original hole without warning.

That's no good. How badly was he injured?
The chainfall weighed about 30 lbs. It hit hm about nose level, knocked him back a few feet, broke the upper jaw from his skull and knocked out several teeth. He got up and went to a neighbor who took him to the hospital. they wired his jaw back in place and after healing, had teeth replaced. You wouldn't know it happened, seeing him today. Had it hit an inch or two higher, he'd be gone.

Thats not going to work. Pine Stumps? You need an Excavator, or Skid steer, Dozer or Tractor. I dont know exactly why you want to make a winch or machine to harvest lighterknot..... Just cut what you can with a saw and be happy with that much. Its value as a firestarter is all it has, and you shouldn't need that much to get a fire going anyway. A piece half as big a a carpenter's pencil is enough to get kindling going. A split like 3x4x16" ought to last a year?

The chainfall weighed about 30 lbs. It hit hm about nose level, knocked him back a few feet, broke the upper jaw from his skull and knocked out several teeth. He got up and went to a neighbor who took him to the hospital. they wired his jaw back in place and after healing, had teeth replaced. You wouldn't know it happened, seeing him today. Had it hit an inch or two higher, he'd be gone.
Dang, yeah he's very fortunate for sure.

Yeah I’ve came to the conclusion this isn’t going to work for pulling large stumps out the ground; I’m still going to go through with the build, as I would use it for other things too. As odd as it sounds, harvesting fat lighter is kind of a hobby of mine, going out in the woods looking for it, and all is just something I enjoy doing. There’s something satisfying about pulling a huge stump out of the earth, even if it is hard work. I burn a **** ton of it, and give it to friends/ family. I really appreciate all of the advice guys. I also enjoy projects that involve building stuff (like the winch) and learning the ins and outs of things alike. I’ll keep you guys updated on the winch as I finish it. Didn’t really even consider the dangers of it, will take that all into account.

Latest posts

Back