I’ve started a YouTube Channel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I thought I’d start a YouTube channel to document my journey within the small engine repair field and wanted to share it here. It’s going to be to show the up’s and downs of my rebuilds and the process I undertake.

It’s not a how to or instructional channel, I’m not there to teach anything - I’m well aware I’m not knowledgeable enough nor do I have the experience to do so, it’s purely as a record of what I’ve done. I’m sure I’ll make mistakes that I’ll learn from, but I’ll share them too.

I also hope that it becomes a way to get to know others on a more personal and direct level rather than just seeing text on a forum.

I run another YouTube channel for my business and quite honestly, it’s a lot of work.

It’s for this reason that I have decided this will be more of a “behind the scenes” style channel, no fancy lighting or audio, just recorded off my iPhone. Direct and to the point.

I’m currently working on a 1950’s Villiers Mk10, but I also have that Stihl 08s I’m rebuilding and repairing for the owner of my local Stihl shop that I’ll record when I get the current project finished.

Here is my channel, thanks guys. Regards, Tom.
https://youtube.com/channel/UC7R_Gh8EuJW3SpeP_Xz3RDQ

Cool. I'll have a look.
Edit: Lovin the mini-mullet.
Got any Japanese stuff planned?
Thanks :) as for the mini mullet, that’s the first time I have been told that! :laughing: definitely not intended!! Not that Australian yet:laugh:

I haven’t got any Japanese engines planner just yet, though it would be nice to move back to metric fittings! Once the Villiers and the 08s is done I’d like to do an old school motorcycle, maybe a Vespa, or more realistically and affordable probably an old geared scooter. Anything that doesn’t run where I can get some hands on time on clutches and gears next would be good.

Thanks :) as for the mini mullet, that’s the first time I have been told that! :laughing: definitely not intended!! Not that Australian yet:laugh:

I haven’t got any Japanese engines planner just yet, though it would be nice to move back to metric fittings! Once the Villiers and the 08s is done I’d like to do an old school motorcycle, maybe a Vespa, or more realistically and affordable probably an old geared scooter. Anything that doesn’t run where I can get some hands on time on clutches and gears next would be good.
Well if you're gonna be getting greasy you'll need to cultivate the mullet.

If you haven't already done so, check out Geoffrey Croker on Youtube. Entertaining and interesting and maybe right up your alley.

Tom.

Good stuff Tom. I was never that good with a can. Different story with a gun. I sprayed tool boxes and mail boxes for three years at my first full time job.
Hi Clyde, thanks mate! I have been considering either a gun or air brush, not settled on one yet though. Quite honestly I have my hands full learning how to rebuild different engines and my business that I don’t think I have enough spare time to get good with either and the investment probably won’t reward with a result any better than what I have now, of course if I learnt and practised I know a gun / air brush is the better option. In fact the main draw back Is the clean up - it looks like a pain. These custom cans I get come with a fanned nozzle and seem to apply well when compared to just a circular pattern like cheaper cans. I shake for 2 minutes, spray whatever and just clear the nozzle and done. Back in the cupboard it goes. No mess, fuss, thinning, cleaning, maintenance etc

Honestly, for me - someone with little experience spray painting, it looks good. To an artist or body shop, it probably looks pretty poor - my glass is half full for sure haha
before and after 828473E6-894E-4683-9143-5C65447CC4A4.jpeg250ED9A3-8D98-4766-A544-44548754D93B.jpeg

I'm digging that green color.

Hey Tom do you guys have "Harbor Freight Tools" stores in Oz? (All Chinee stuff.) They sell some HVLP guns cheeeeep (like $15) here in the U.S. and I've bought a few and salted them away, but haven't tried them yet, FWIW...supposedly you can use a conventional compressor if you have enough CFM...it's all new to me...

I'm digging that green color.

Hey Tom do you guys have "Harbor Freight Tools" stores in Oz? (All Chinee stuff.) They sell some HVLP guns cheeeeep (like $15) here in the U.S. and I've bought a few and salted them away, but haven't tried them yet, FWIW...supposedly you can use a conventional compressor if you have enough CFM...it's all new to me...
Hi, I look forward to hearing how you go with them when you try them out. I tend to stay away from the cheaper Chinese products when I can, I haven’t had much luck and it often ends in frustration. However, this said, I have heard some good reviews on the harbour freight paint guns on YouTube.

Hi Clyde, thanks mate! I have been considering either a gun or air brush, not settled on one yet though. Quite honestly I have my hands full learning how to rebuild different engines and my business that I don’t think I have enough spare time to get good with either and the investment probably won’t reward with a result any better than what I have now, of course if I learnt and practised I know a gun / air brush is the better option. In fact the main draw back Is the clean up - it looks like a pain. These custom cans I get come with a fanned nozzle and seem to apply well when compared to just a circular pattern like cheaper cans. I shake for 2 minutes, spray whatever and just clear the nozzle and done. Back in the cupboard it goes. No mess, fuss, thinning, cleaning, maintenance etc

Honestly, for me - someone with little experience spray painting, it looks good. To an artist or body shop, it probably looks pretty poor - my glass is half full for sure haha
before and after View attachment 917588View attachment 917589
Very nice job on the restoration of that Villiers engine! I am curious how you stripped the paint from linkages, carb, intake, etc? I really like how the unpainted parts contrast with the green.

Very nice job on the restoration of that Villiers engine! I am curious how you stripped the paint from linkages, carb, intake, etc? I really like how the unpainted parts contrast with the green.
Thank you Cj! I used a paint stripper on the carb and wire wheel on the linkages and bolts :)

before and after View attachment 917588View attachment 917589
Stick with the cans for as long as you can,Tom. I have 3 DeVilbis HVLP guns for painting everything from heavy equipment, road tractors and dump trucks on down to half tons and family grocery getters. The cost is prohibitive for small projects and you are spot on about the cleanup which requires total strip down of the gun and meticolous cleanup with nasty chemicals. I just painted a 17' fiberglass canoe I had done a lot of restoration on , holes worn through the keel about 4' long stretches. It cost me over $400. CDN just for the paint and hardeners plus the cleanup materials. Whole job took up 3 hrs so it was an expensive paint job. If I counted my time and the fiberglass materials in it would surpass $700. I could have bought a lightly used one same size for same or a bit less.

Stick with the cans for as long as you can,Tom. I have 3 DeVilbis HVLP guns for painting everything from heavy equipment, road tractors and dump trucks on down to half tons and family grocery getters. The cost is prohibitive for small projects and you are spot on about the cleanup which requires total strip down of the gun and meticolous cleanup with nasty chemicals. I just painted a 17' fiberglass canoe I had done a lot of restoration on , holes worn through the keel about 4' long stretches. It cost me over $400. CDN just for the paint and hardeners plus the cleanup materials. Whole job took up 3 hrs so it was an expensive paint job. If I counted my time and the fiberglass materials in it would surpass $700. I could have bought a lightly used one same size for same or a bit less.
Thanks Jerry, I appreciate your advice as always mate! Great project and I bet you’ll have a blast in it when it’s completed. Couldn’t be in a better country for canoeing!

I can say those exact same words for all my chainsaw builds I think Jerry :laughing:
Restorations will always cost ye dearly, I can attest to that. regular everyday user chainsaw repair is often over what one could buy a decent runner for but once built I know what I have. I have never lost a piston or a crank and in all the years of cutting I have done only had one bearing go out,the plastic spacer disintegrated in less than 4 months on a brand new MS440, not covered by warranty so I fixed it myself and the saw is still running fine 18 years later on. Use 40:1 mix with those plastic/nylon spacers and the bearings seem to never go out.

Back