I am looking to purchase chainsaw chaps. Can you guys recommend what to get and what not to get? Thanks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clydesdale6

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a pair of chainsaw chaps and some clip behind the calf others are half chaps. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I have a pair of Husqvarna Technical chainsaw chaps (the orange and gray ones with the full wrap over the calves). They work for me, but a bit hot in the summer.

I have been using a set by Stihl, but I have to say that I like the look of the Labonville for about the same price. The Labonville leave the backs of the thighs much more open than does my Stihl which would make for a cooler and therefore more comfortable chap.

I am looking to buy a pair of chainsaw chaps and some clip behind the calf others are half chaps. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I've owned my two pairs for years & cannot remember who I bought them from...probably Sherrill Tree or Stihl. I added Carhartt suspenders clipped crossing the chest and the back so straps don't slip off the shoulders. Chaps will give you a peace of mind even though they get hot in the summer. I also wear mine when grinding stumps as we have rocky soil the grinder can throw out.

I use Husqvarna Technical Chaps during the cooler months as they can get quite hot whilst wearing overalls etc. They clean up well and seem strong. In the summer I switch to lighter weight Oregon Yukon Type A Protective Trousers. They only come in one size but are easy to shorten if required. Whilst I don't feel they give as much protection as the heavier Husqvarna, you can work all day in them. Both are very inexpensive on Amazon.

I've owned my two pairs for years & cannot remember who I bought them from...probably Sherrill Tree or Stihl. I added Carhartt suspenders clipped crossing the chest and the back so straps don't slip off the shoulders. Chaps will give you a peace of mind even though they get hot in the summer. I also wear mine when grinding stumps as we have rocky soil the grinder can throw out.
I like the Lebronville chaps. Suspenders really help keep them in place. I am fairly conservative, so green is my color. Baileys chainsaw is a good place to find them. I never cut without them.

currently using Husqvarna and they are OK. But the sturdiest ones I've used are an old pair of used, no-brand chaps I got from my son. He's a wildland firefighter and these were old ones he got on the job that were about to be thrown out. They're incredibly thick, hot, and stinky but they're bullet (and chain) proof.

I did a lot of research when buying my chaps and came to the conclusion that all chaps are are hot and any chaps are better than no chaps. I ended up with Labonville, never had to test them against a chain but I’ve seen cuts of people that didn’t have them and I’ll take the chaps every time hot or not.

I have a pair of Husqvarna Technical chainsaw chaps (the orange and gray ones with the full wrap over the calves). They work for me, but a bit hot in the summer.
I have the same ones and happy with them.

I have the Stihl chaps also. I've never used the Labonville, or seen them in person, but I've seen them recommended on here for years. With a little more forethought, that's probably what I would have purchased last time. I'd been wearing a cheap pair of Poulan chaps that a friend of mine had bought (NIB) at a yardsale. I was heading out to help with some clean up from a Cat 4 tornado, and stopped by the dealership to pick up a new loop of 404 chain for my big saw. The chaps were sitting there, so I grabbed them as a reward for the up coming good deed :)

While I prefer to cut in cold weather, I end up doing a lot of my cutting in August because the ground is usually dry. Unfortunately, that means I'm frequently doing it in +90 degree weather. If you're cutting in the summer, you're going to be hot. Once your clothes are properly soaked in sweat, I don't notice any additional heat from wearing the chaps. I wish that was a joke, but it's not. I keep an IFAK in every vehicle including my truck, but I prefer drinking an extra quart or two of water to having to use ANYTHING in the IFAK. Nothing in that kit feels good...

For proper safety, get A PROPER FIT; check specs for length and waist size and HOW to measure, SUMMer hot weather, THEY CAN/ DO GET HOT FAST, SO I LIKE MY LEGS STRAPS LOOSER, but I do very little limbing/ bucking, and generally wear mine more as a sawdust apron to protect clothing. Straps behind the KNEE CAN ALSO GET VERY SKIN-IRRITATING VERY QUICK. LUCK

im curious about arborist pants, are they actually protective and much cooler with good airflow?
While you are wearing them, i think they are a little cooler...but you can't take them off to take a quick break (well, you can...but best be done when working in the woods alone). That fact makes them hotter for the whole-day. I only wear them on days when I'm running saws in the woods all day...which I try to schedule around the hottest days. We are able to do that because that kind of woodland work is only a small portion of the work we do.

Back