I broke a spring today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I didn't think something like this would happen but I was sharpening a chain for my Super 2 and the spring broke on the grinder, just about tearing up the chain before I got it off it. This grinder is made in Italy and was given to me by a neighbor before I moved so I have no idea where it came from or who sells them. Maybe a local hardware store might have something like this but I doubt it. I can't even remember the name but I think it has 4 or 5 letters in it.

It's the big spring shaped like a coil with the ends sticking out. When you push the disc down with the handle it's the spring that pushes it back up. I'll try to get a pic if I can hold it up and get a pic at the same time. I don't think it's an efco, I'll check it out again.
Even if I find a spring I'll have to figure a way to get that big pin out of the thing, maybe a big drift pin or something. I didn't see any set screws or anything of that sort.

The brand name is Emak. Type FL136. I got a photo...the left end of the spring which is broken off goes between the two raised spots below the spring. I used a medium drift and managed to push the pin out a bit so that shouldn't be a problem..

Attachments

• 100_5806.JPG
    100_5806.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
I guess I panicked too soon, just put in an order for a spring for a tecomec grinder, (website said the Emak and Tecomec are the same as well as most any made in Italy). Anyway, they had several different ones, I just ordered one that looked like mine. Hope it works!
Guess I was wrong thinking these don't break often, they had tons of them for sale!

I’m curious as to why it almost ruined your chain if the spring broke. The stop should prevent that
The stop on this thing is adjustable, with the black knob on top. Since I've never broken a spring before I didn't know about the adjustment, which was too low and just kept grinding as I was trying to figure out what happened and then raising the grinding part up. It's adjusted now!

The stop on this thing is adjustable, with the black knob on top. Since I've never broken a spring before I didn't know about the adjustment, which was too low and just kept grinding as I was trying to figure out what happened and then raising the grinding part up. It's adjusted now!
Now you know why I made this contraption to use while the new spring is in transit. I call it my Gravity Spring:
1668093198751.png
It works like a charm. Cheers!

Attachments

• 1668092457596.png
    1668092457596.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
I didn't think something like this would happen but I was sharpening a chain for my Super 2 and the spring broke on the grinder, just about tearing up the chain before I got it off it. This grinder is made in Italy and was given to me by a neighbor before I moved so I have no idea where it came from or who sells them. Maybe a local hardware store might have something like this but I doubt it. I can't even remember the name but I think it has 4 or 5 letters in it.
Teco or Tecomec is the manufacturer. Probably Jolly Star Grinder 120V

I went to a local small engine shop today and asked the owner if he'd ever broke a spring on the chain grinder and he told me he broke several of them and showed me his spare springs. None of them looked like mine and the spring I ordered didn't look exactly like mine so I looked through all the springs and found another one that looked more like mine and ordered it too.

Back