I can square grind with my round grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Square Cutter

Chain Sharpening Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been round filing for a long time and heating my house with wood. I love it so much its turned into a hobby. Square grinding was expensive for me to get into so I made my own jig and I can get a desireable square grind. The top plate and side plate angles are easily and fully adjustable but the sharpness is limited to 40-45 degrees for the top plate.

Hi David,

Since this post I've actually gone into business with this idea. Went and got this patent pending and I'm going to start selling them online. I'll send you a video on how it works. It's basically a jig that adds the square grinding feature to a 410-120 Oregon universal grinder.

Attachments

• Three parts.jpg
    11.5 MB · Views: 14
Hi David,

Since this post I've actually gone into business with this idea. Went and got this patent pending and I'm going to start selling them online. I'll send you a video on how it works. It's basically a jig that adds the square grinding feature to a 410-120 Oregon universal grinder.

Attachments

• Upright with Aluminum.jpg
    14.9 MB · Views: 8
Sounds like something that is long overdue!

Will it work on any Oregon grinder, or just that model?

I would also love to see the video.

Thanks

Philbert
I have not tested other grinders yet, good question though. I'll try it out to confirm but I think it would work in the 520-120 and 511ax as well. If it doesn't I'll make them specifically for those models as well. I just used the 410-120 because it's only $220 on Amazon.

The Oregon 511A is the ‘classic’ grinder (later updated to the 511AX and 520). The basic style goes back many years, and has been sold by the Italian manufacturer Tecomec under the Efco, and a variety of other names.

It is also the model knocked off by the cheaper ’clone grinders’. More people who round grind chains with ‘full-sized’ grinders would have one of these style (except for those with the larger Silvey or STIHL grinders).

I am not personally a fan of the 410 grinder, due to its lower power, and some more awkward adjustments. (please see referenced thread, below). But I do have an embarrassment of different models of ‘511-style’ grinders to try it out on!

Not sure if your design replaces the vise, attaches to the chain clamping bars, etc., or if there are jigs to dress the grinding wheel, etc. ‘Most’ of the vises should mount similarly.

Looking forward to learning more.

Philbert

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/oregon-410-120-chain-sharpener.333055/

The Oregon 511A is the ‘classic’ grinder (later updated to the 511AX and 520). The basic style goes back many years, and has been sold by the Italian manufacturer Tecomec under the Efco, and a variety of other names.

It is also the model knocked off by the cheaper ’clone grinders’. More people who round grind chains with ‘full-sized’ grinders would have one of these style (except for those with the larger Silvey or STIHL grinders).

I am not personally a fan of the 410 grinder, due to its lower power, and some more awkward adjustments. (please see referenced thread, below). But I do have an embarrassment of different models of ‘511-style’ grinders to try it out on!

Not sure if your design replaces the vise, attaches to the chain clamping bars, etc., or if there are jigs to dress the grinding wheel, etc. ‘Most’ of the vises should mount similarly.

Looking forward to learning more.

Philbert

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/oregon-410-120-chain-sharpener.333055/
Yes, would love to send you one to try out. I'll let you know when I get enough built to start sending out. I know the 10 degree front back motion is a key feature that makes this setup work through out the life of the aluminum oxide wheels. This jig clamps right into the existing chain vise and is ready to use. You have to move the chain stop back all the way to allow it to fit but besides that you just turn the aluminum oxide wheel up 90 degrees and use the 1/8 wheel or smallest wheel that usually comes with a grinder. I noticed a coarse grit diamond flat file works great to hone the pink wheel. I start somewhere close to the double bevel file for angle. To cut your side plates to slope forward you just sharpen the hone angle a bit.

I dig it. Hope it works out for you
Right on! Thank you huskihl. I know I had a heck of a time trying to square file by hand and I couldn't find a square grinder at a reasonable price and I already had a round grinder so I converted it. Anyway maybe there are some other folks out there that could use something like this. No use keeping it all to myself.

Latest posts

Back