I can square grind with my round grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sean right on! I'm getting some ready to roll. I could definitely try to do a pre-order for Arboristsite guys only for now and maybe get you on the first list. I don't know what the Arboristsite rules are on this. Maybe let me check them out and go from there. Are you running primarily 3/8 chain? What size drive links? I'll also have three different angles to choose from as far as top plate sharpness. 40 45 and 50.
I run 3/8 .050 and .063 that I run square. Predominantly. 050 though. I'd go with the 45* top plate if I have to choose just 1. Thats about what I try to approximate when I file by hand anyway.
Let me know what you figure out as far as site rules, we can communicate via email, phone, smoke signal 😉...

Howdy,
I applaud advancing the use of square ground chain. We cut the tips off of hardnose bars in different gauges for the guides so we would have infinite angle adjustment. For length adjustment we just mounted a set of Silvey chain fingers on the tips. Like was mentioned, the smaller the diameter of wheel the less the tie strap is exposed to damage. The crux of the biscuit is shimming the tip in the vise to center it with the grinders symmetry.
Regards
G
It's good to see you're back sir!

Howdy,

Thanks, yep still vertical. It's been awhile so I hope this isn't a rehash.
Anybody with one grinder that is sharpening different pitches of chain or a square grinder that every customer wants a different grind geometry will appreciate this. We used to match mark our grinder arbors to our wheels. Vitrified wheels generally have a loose fit. Unless you mount and dress them in the same position, you end up with a wheel that vibrates because it no longer centered. The other most noticeable thing is that the wheel might only engage the tooth for a quarter or less of the wheels circumference. You end up with the wheel loading up quickly and excess heat.
Pick a spot on your grinder arbor and make a mark. Then make a mark on your unmounted wheel. When you mount the wheel, make sure the arbor mark and the wheel mark are pointing down. This way gravity is used to help the wheel find the same location every time it's mounted.
Ok, the next part is sketchy safety wise. I put the grinder head and vice to 0 degrees. Then I lay my dressing brick on the chain vise guides. I introduce the wheel as I slide the brick back and forth. Do this until the wheel has a square edge all the way around on both sides. The sketchy part is if you get aggressive it can rip the brick out of your fingers. You can do this with horizontal wheel grinders. You just need to decide whether you want to pull, or push on the wheel with the marks aligned
Anywho, once you do this you will only have to clean and shape for the rest of the wheels life.
Regards
G

@Del_ So the arm holds a couple blocks that swing and dress the wheel, at fixed angles I assume (adjustability would be nice)? Could I buy/borrow it?

perhaps we should jump over to the USG thread so as not to derail this one.

@Del_ So the arm holds a couple blocks that swing and dress the wheel, at fixed angles I assume (adjustability would be nice)? Could I buy/borrow it?

perhaps we should jump over to the USG thread so as not to derail this one.

The diamond dressers are fixed in their angles but adjustable in length to accomodate wheels of various diameters.

Sorry but it's not for sale or for loan out.

I bought the USG square grinding attachments back in 1992 or so directly from Stihl in VA.

I've yet to see another one.

The chain holding assembly pivots by pushing the handle and there is a small spring on the side that returns it to neutral position when the handle is released.

I will start a thread on my Stihl USG square grinding system in the next few days and maybe even take some measurements. Maybe we can draw another unit out of the wood works.

USG main frame.jpg

Stihl USG Square Grinding attachment 003 Return spring 2.jpg

USG parts comparison.jpg

USG diamond wheel dressing attachment.jpg

Square Grinding USG Attachment 019.JPG

The diamond dressers are fixed in their angles but adjustable in length to accomodate wheels of various diameters.

Sorry but it's not for sale or for loan out.

I bought the USG square grinding attachments back in 1992 or so directly from Stihl in VA.

I've yet to see another one.

The chain holding assembly pivots by pushing the handle and there is a small spring on the side that returns it to neutral position when the handle is released.

I will start a thread on my Stihl USG square grinding system in the next few days and maybe even take some measurements. Maybe we can draw another unit out of the wood works.

View attachment 1022471

View attachment 1022472

View attachment 1022473

View attachment 1022474

View attachment 1022475
Did you start the thread?
I'm interested in learning more.
Do you have the foot pedal to operate the clamp when doing round chain?
Yeah it did. I'm hard at work getting these things built and video content produced. They're almost ready. I think in about a month they should be for sale at SquareJig.com.
How many have you got built, I'm interested in one too, if it will work on my Tecomec Super Jolly( it has the hydraulic clamp).

One thing I think is great that hasn't been mentioned, is reducing the space that multiple grinders takes up in ones shop.

Looking forward to seeing more of this adventure you've started on.
Saved the website too.

Did you start the thread?
I'm interested in learning more.
Do you have the foot pedal to operate the clamp when doing round chain?

How many have you got built, I'm interested in one too, if it will work on my Tecomec Super Jolly( it has the hydraulic clamp).

One thing I think is great that hasn't been mentioned, is reducing the space that multiple grinders takes up in ones shop.

Looking forward to seeing more of this adventure you've started on.
Saved the website too.

No, I haven't started the thread. I have a foot pedal on the way.

I'm a bit busy at the moment so maybe later this fall or as a Christmas present for those interested.

Latest posts

Back