I can square grind with my round grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have received mine. Was shipped quickly. Nicely made / finished . There is more info on the web site videos and some specs to try in the ? and answer column of each video . Have mine half way mounted so no real experience yet . Have the 520 - 120 grinder. So far - I am happy - just need to devote some time to play !

Have received mine. Was shipped quickly. Nicely made / finished . There is more info on the web site videos and some specs to try in the ? and answer column of each video . Have mine half way mounted so no real experience yet . Have the 520 - 120 grinder. So far - I am happy - just need to devote some time to play !
Thanks, Let us know if you would what your experience is like.

The USG might work. I'd like to test one to see if it does. I think the front to back adjustment on the USG may work similar to the 10-degree adjustment on the Oregon 410-120. The farther away from the wheel the sharper the inside side plate angle. However, too far away from the wheel would put the wheel into the tie strap. It just depends on if the front to back adjustment on the USG would allow the entire wheel to be utilize throughout the life of the wheel. If it's off by a small amount it may not utilize a new wheel. Moving this adjustment forward will keep the cutters at the correct distance from the wheel as the diameter becomes smaller from dressing.

I've been round filing for a long time and heating my house with wood. I love it so much its turned into a hobby. Square grinding was expensive for me to get into so I made my own jig and I can get a desireable square grind. The top plate and side plate angles are easily and fully adjustable but the sharpness is limited to 40-45 degrees for the top plate.
Great work you been doing on that jig. When the jig becomes universal by just clamping in the guide rails will think of getting one then. I am also wondering how many times you need to dress that wheel to keep the side edge in good condition before it rounds out, am thinking every chain. Any way will keep watching your Web pages for more information.

Thank you. Yes I have three different chain holders for different sharpness of top plate. 80 90 and 100 degrees. But yeah i do have a provisional patent on it.
Provision patent don't mean much. I have 5 world wide patents. That won't stop the Chinese from copy it. Best of luck anyway great idea.

Provision patent don't mean much. I have 5 world wide patents. That won't stop the Chinese from copy it. Best of luck anyway great idea.
Thank you Iankat! It does clamp into the guide rail and work universally with the Oregon 410-120 grinder. Dressing depends on how much bar oil you have on your chain. If you clean off the chain you can get quite a bit more teeth out of it before dressing. A bar with lots of oil, which is usually the case you can get about 3-6 teeth done before dressing. The dressing is quick and easy with a diamond file. As far as china goes if you were to knock off a patented product why not knock off the Simington or Silvey grinders? You don't see knockoff of those running around. Sure, china can make cheap knockoffs but I'm not sure that someone would want to spend their money on something that has zero customer service or accountability for the products not working. Squarejig is made in USA with 100% US steel.

Thank you Iankat! It does clamp into the guide rail and work universally with the Oregon 410-120 grinder. Dressing depends on how much bar oil you have on your chain. If you clean off the chain you can get quite a bit more teeth out of it before dressing. A bar with lots of oil, which is usually the case you can get about 3-6 teeth done before dressing. The dressing is quick and easy with a diamond file. As far as china goes if you were to knock off a patented product why not knock off the Simington or Silvey grinders? You don't see knockoff of those running around. Sure, china can make cheap knockoffs but I'm not sure that someone would want to spend their money on something that has zero customer service or accountability for the products not working. Squarejig is made in USA with 100% US steel.
Yes agree I am not a huge fan of China made goods. I wish more manufacturers in The USA and around the world would not solely rely on China. Yes it's cheap but mostly lacks high quality

I just recently tested a Stihl Hidria (0707-3-8582) with the Squarejig. I believe it is the same as the USG but didn't say USG on it. It has all of the features to cut a square ground chain with the Squarejig. But I'm sorry I have to retract what I said about the Stihl Hidria grinder working great with the Squarejig. I found a couple issues with the setup to square grind. First off, the standard wheels that are made for the arbor size are not ideal for square grinding. I was able to center a pink wheel and it fixed the issue. As well the wheel does not align in the center of the vise. The head or arm of the grinder has to be moved to the right with a spacer or modification to the grinder. There were some other issues I was able to fix very easily but at this point it is not a plug and play setup like the 410 model grinders.

I just recently tested a Stihl Hidria (0707-3-8582) with the Squarejig. I believe it is the same as the USG but didn't say USG on it. Anyway it works great. It has all of the features to cut a square ground chain with the Squarejig. Thought I'd share I know some guys were asking.
Any pics of cutters ?

Here is the only picture I was able to get when I was at the saw shop. Please let me know if this is the USG. I'm going to do a video on it next week to show all of the details on settings and pictures of the tooth quality.

Attachments

• Stihl Hidria.jpg
    Stihl Hidria.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 0
Ok so I also have to retract what I said about making a video on this for next week. I will put the video out when I find an easy solution for moving the wheel over as the USG does not work yet with the Squarejig. I hope this gives more clarification on the USG grinder. I will say it was close though. One side of the cutters were incredible. If there are grinders out there that have a vise that also moves left and right it would be ideal.

Ok so I also have to retract what I said about making a video on this for next week. I will put the video out when I find an easy solution for moving the wheel over as the USG does not work yet with the Squarejig. I hope this gives more clarification on the USG grinder. I will say it was close though. One side of the cutters were incredible. If there are grinders out there that have a vise that also moves left and right it would be ideal.
I ordered a vevor which is a knock looks like to the 410 oregon, I know it works on a timber tuff believe it's a CS model which looks similar to the 410 oregon and I'll be trying it on this vevor in near future, friend of mine is sending me one of your jigs. It's Chippy btw, let you know when I get everything here and setup if it fits that grinder

I ordered a vevor which is a knock looks like to the 410 oregon, I know it works on a timber tuff believe it's a CS model which looks similar to the 410 oregon and I'll be trying it on this vevor in near future, friend of mine is sending me one of your jigs. It's Chippy btw, let you know when I get everything here and setup if it fits that grinder
Awesome! Yeah I see the Vevor for $120 on Amazon. It would be really cool if that one works well. Not sure why it wouldn't if the specs are the same as the 410.

Awesome! Yeah I see the Vevor for $120 on Amazon. It would be really cool if that one works well. Not sure why it wouldn't if the specs are the same as the 410.differenc

Awesome! Yeah I see the Vevor for $120 on Amazon. It would be really cool if that one works well. Not sure why it wouldn't if the specs are the same as the 410.
Difference in manufacturing and quality control just never know, grinder is here next week jig I'll be waiting on when ever it gets here from friends place so hopefully soonish lol get back to you about it

Back