I got the ms500i R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:rock:

Found it at a hardware store in Wallace, Id. I didn't even know they were now selling Stihls. They use to be Husqvarna only, and I would buy chains and bar oil from them.

$1439 (+Tax) with a 32" B&C Chisel, Skip. Sold it to me dry, which is my preference as I am done cutting this year.

I still have to sell the ms461. I'm currently high, but will drop the price if necessary.

CIMG0003.JPG

CIMG0004.JPG

Sometime in the spring. Only bad is that the gauge is 0.063. I'm flush with 0.050s. This light bar with chain will find a place on the wall. I'm not going to supply up with 0.063s.

With how little oil these saws put out I’d stick to 63, on my 32’s I’ve enlarged the oil hole a little to help flow as well. Also throw the skip chain in the trash where it belongs these saws will pull a full comp without issues and won’t 4 stroking all the time in the cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice saw. I hope the guy holds the warranty registration awhile. Otherwise warranty starts at DOP.

With how little oil these saws put out I’d stick to 63, on my 32’s I’ve enlarged the oil hole a little to help flow as well. Also throw the skip chain in the trash where it belongs these saws will pull a full comp without issues and won’t 4 stroking all the time in the cut.

0.050 works great with the 461 with a 32" B&C (slings oil out the tip). On the Stihl website the recommended Stihl chains is 33RSxxx, where the second 3 is a 0.050 gauge.

I don't quite understand the 0.063 as it is on the ms880 and the little homeowners saws, while the 0.05 is on the ranchers and professional saws from 50cc to 90cc.

0.050 works great with the 461 with a 32" B&C (slings oil out the tip). On the Stihl website the recommended Stihl chains is 33RSxxx, where the second 3 is a 0.050 gauge.

I don't quite understand the 0.063 as it is on the ms880 and the little homeowners saws, while the 0.05 is on the ranchers and professional saws from 50cc to 90cc.

That’s a different saw so it’ll oil different having ran the 500 a decent amount of hours it’s oil output could be a lot better when cutting old growth style Doug fir. One thing to remember about the 500’s they aren’t huge rpm monsters they are set for torque out of the box so they really like long bars with lots of aggressive cutters.

Mebbe just hang the chain on the wall or post it up as "free". Or, see if you can swap the 32 x 0.063 b/c for a 32 x 0.050 b/c.

That’s a different saw so it’ll oil different having ran the 500 a decent amount of hours it’s oil output could be a lot better when cutting old growth style Doug fir. One thing to remember about the 500’s they aren’t huge rpm monsters they are set for torque out of the box so they really like long bars with lots of aggressive cutters.

I've been running an 8 pin with a 28" pulls it well in everything I've cut so far. Limb work with the 7 pin was slow going 462 is much better for that.

Congrats on the saw. I have been really pleased with mine. I am running a 28 full comp .050. I will end up with a 32 or 36 eventually. 050 is more readily available around these NW Montana parts. I think you will really like that saw. Not sure where your cash flow situation is, but I would hang on to the 461. They aren’t making any more of those. I have a hard time parting with old friends.

Congrats on the saw. I have been really pleased with mine. I am running a 28 full comp .050. I will end up with a 32 or 36 eventually. 050 is more readily available around these NW Montana parts. I think you will really like that saw. Not sure where your cash flow situation is, but I would hang on to the 461. They aren’t making any more of those. I have a hard time parting with old friends.

This was my Trump Covid money. Never spent any of it till today.

I'll hang on to the 461 if I can't get what's worth. I have been running it for 5 years and it has been bullet proof. I think I'm still on the same spark plug, and I know it is the same air filter. Just a rock solid saw.

Just seems the 500i and the 461 are very similar in capabilities that they are redundant.

Back