I got the ms500i R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be a very nice enhancement for the 461 in my book. Good luck!

I bought the 461 from this site and it came with a 32" B&C. Not sure if it is a light bar or not. I don't use it much, but when I do it sure is nice. It is that bar that got me to upgrade the oiler to a High Output Oiler.

It is an upgrade, but in practice won't make much of a difference. Selling a big saw in Montana is difficult. Most people I know do just fine with a 60cc class saw or less.

/ *** Edit ***/

I put the new B&C on the 461. I also got to compare the B&C that came with the 461. It is not a light bar, and is noticeable heavier, by itself. Not a whole lot different though when fitted to the saw with a chain.

First thing I did was put in on Craigslist. Will see if it sells.
Shame we are a big ocean away as I've got a lightweight Sugihara 32" 3/8 050 Stihl mount I'd happily trade for a 063 Stihl light. I even add some cash to get rid of the darn thing! Great bar but 050 is not for me in Ozzie hardwoods.

I don't quite understand the 0.063 as it is on the ms880 and the little homeowners saws, while the 0.05 is on the ranchers and professional saws from 50cc to 90cc.

It is my firm belief that stihl sets up their small saws with .325x.063 so that it's more likely their customers will go back to the dealer for new chains. .325x.050 is common enough that guys could get loops at big box stores, but stihl would rather make you come back in and buy their whacky combo from them.

It is my firm belief that stihl sets up their small saws with .325x.063 so that it's more likely their customers will go back to the dealer for new chains. .325x.050 is common enough that guys could get loops at big box stores, but stihl would rather make you come back in and buy their whacky combo from them.
I agree. I have no issue with .050" up to say 28" but after that it should be at least .058"

I resurrected and old thread (0.050 vs 0.063) and I have to agree the 0.063 on the smaller saws is suspicious at best.

Mebbe just hang the chain on the wall or post it up as "free". Or, see if you can swap the 32 x 0.063 b/c for a 32 x 0.050 b/c.

I’ll take it for that and whatever the postage is to aus!

Good suggestion on the swap. RDO in Missoula will do the swap. I'll call an confirm next week and do the drive. I'm even willing to give up the light bar for a standard bar to make this happen. Hell I'll even swap down to a 28" B&C.

I feel like this 0.063 is a open sore, and the faster I can get it scrubbed and a big arse bandaid on the the better.

Good suggestion on the swap. RDO in Missoula will do the swap. I'll call an confirm next week and do the drive. I'm even willing to give up the light bar for a standard bar to make this happen. Hell I'll even swap down to a 28" B&C.

I feel like this 0.063 is a open sore, and the faster I can get it scrubbed and a big arse bandaid on the the better.
RDO is pretty good to deal with. I wanted a 24" ES Light bar the other day and they had one sent down from Missoula to Billings cheaper than I could buy it on Ebay. I had it two days after I ordered it.

RDO is pretty good to deal with. I wanted a 24" ES Light bar the other day and they had one sent down from Missoula to Billings cheaper than I could buy it on Ebay. I had it two days after I ordered it.

Yeah, they are great. Got to talk to Sean though.

They had three 500i waiting for pickup. Anybody else, has to get on a waiting list. Takes about a month a half they said. Murdocks on the other hand seems to be having trouble getting 500s (the wait is indefinite, as they can give no estimate) , and based on what they had on the shelf, they are having trouble getting pro Stihls period. FWIW, They have lots and lots of Huskys though.

Yeah, they are great. Got to talk to Sean though.

They had three 500i waiting for pickup. Anybody else, has to get on a waiting list. Takes about a month a half they said. Murdocks on the other hand seems to be having trouble getting 500s (the wait is indefinite, as they can give no estimate) , and based on what they had on the shelf, they are having trouble getting pro Stihls period. FWIW, They have lots and lots of Huskys though.
The Billings store had no 400's or 500's. Only pro saw in stock was the 362.

Back