I hate this clamp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was giving a 028 wood boss. The piston and cylinder was toast.. I ordered a new top end off eBay and put it on the saw.
I can not for the life of me get the clamp on the boot that connects carb to cylinder. It's driving me crazy.
I had the same problem on my 461 I replaced the top end on. On it I loosen up the cylinder and got it on, but I didn't use a gasket only form a gasket. Tell me there's a simple trick.

The clamp's machine screw with the nut on the end needs ro be almost wide open so that the boot will easily slip onto the cylinder connection with the clamp between the cylinder and the carb. Do not remove the nut on the end. That invites a headache. Also, I usually keep the clamp's machine screw on the right (clutch side) with the head pointing up for easy access because I am right handed.

No I'm not. That seems like a headache too. But should I be?

100% easier than trying to fit the band over the locating risers on the manifold after it is in place, without undoing the screw enough for the nut to all off into the lower reaches of the saw, never to be seen again, or puncturing the manifold trying to force the clamp over the raised rib with a small sharp screwdriver.
Believe me, I have seen all manner of botches with these on Stihls made by good meaning owners that tried to fit the manifold post cylinder fitment- it can be done, but more often it ends up in grief, or an incomplete seal.
Fit them as our Mad friend shows above in clear photographs- that way you know for a fact the manifold to cylinder joint is correct before it is almost hidden from view and you need as many hands as an octopus to reach in there, fit the band over the rubber ridges, in the correct position and tighten the screw. Manifold to air box fit is part and parcel of the cylinder drop onto the case.
Find an old wrecked saw, pull it apart and try to drop the cylinder over the piston (without rings) and using wraps of string to feed the carb end of the manifold into the air box- until you get the hang of it- it may seem complicated when you read about it here, but it fairly easy in practice.
The trick is knowing how to align the manifold to the cylinder while it is off the saw, so that it is orientated correctly for the fitment to the air box.

Bob H. said, "... The trick is knowing how to align the manifold to the cylinder while it is off the saw, so that it is orientated correctly for the fitment to the air box."
-----------------------------
Very important beyond a shadow of a doubt. Usually an alignment mark on the cylinder and the boot help a little, a bit hard to see them but better than nothing.

Latest posts

Back