I have a new job as a pro saw wrench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I kind of have a new job working on saws for a local young guy who sells zero turn mowers, works on small engines and is a dealer for Echo and Redmax saws which I think is the old Jonsered line .

Last January I went into his shop during the winter for some Briggs parts for a couple of engines I had laying around to see if I could get running without spending much money . We soon got to talking about saws and I found out he could get OEM Stihl parts from his distributor even though he wasn't an actual Stihl dealer. Now I have a new best friend because his shop is only 2 miles from my house which saves me time and driving to the other Stihl dealers .

Every time since then I go to him for Sthil parts and each time we get to talking saws , cutting trees and wood . Since I am a semi retired tree service guy I fill him in about different notch and hinge type cuts, different ways of filing chain by hand and other misc. bull sh** that only a chainsaw enthusiast could love.

Anyway, he asked me if I would be interesting in working on saws if he got one corner of his shop cleared out and set-up just to work on saws. I replied that I would but I would make a poor employee these days because I don't move to quick these days and full time didn't really interest me because I have other things to do . We talked some more and part time a few days a week at my pace would work out.

I always wanted to open a " chainsaw shop" on my own but never could make a go of it because I didn't have a dealership like Stihl or sell mowers nor did I have a good location for people to make a special trip to drop off a saw. This is the next best thing for me to see if I can cut the mustard as a pro small engine wrench so to speak and I don't have the hassle of parts or people.

The corner still isn't cleared out at the shop to work on saws which doesn't surprise me because of all the rain we have been having the place is literally littered with mowers, ATV's and motorcycle's. I have been taking saws to my place to work on them which is good because I like using my own tools and know where every thing is at and it gives me a chance to use things that haven't been used for a long time.

The one thing that has become apparent is that speed and doing repairs right the first time is more of a concern now verses just tinkering around on a saw as a hobby . I haven't ran into anything I haven't done before even though I am not on the clock so to speak we are splitting the labor rate on an estimated time to do the repair. I want to make the shop owner look good so he can make some money and I can make a little money for myself . I also don't want some saw coming back because of an error I might make.

So far so good . It has been interesting. The shop owner is happy and so am I but it never ceases to amaze me how saws get torn up and abused . I asked the owner when do I graduate to working on mowers:lol:

I could rattle on but this post is getting too long.

I kind of have a new job working on saws for a local young guy who sells zero turn mowers, works on small engines and is a dealer for Echo and Redmax saws which I think is the old Jonsered line .

Last January I went into his shop during the winter for some Briggs parts for a couple of engines I had laying around to see if I could get running without spending much money . We soon got to talking about saws and I found out he could get OEM Stihl parts from his distributor even though he wasn't an actual Stihl dealer. Now I have a new best friend because his shop is only 2 miles from my house which saves me time and driving to the other Stihl dealers .

Every time since then I go to him for Sthil parts and each time we get to talking saws , cutting trees and wood . Since I am a semi retired tree service guy I fill him in about different notch and hinge type cuts, different ways of filing chain by hand and other misc. bull sh** that only a chainsaw enthusiast could love.

Anyway, he asked me if I would be interesting in working on saws if he got one corner of his shop cleared out and set-up just to work on saws. I replied that I would but I would make a poor employee these days because I don't move to quick these days and full time didn't really interest me because I have other things to do . We talked some more and part time a few days a week at my pace would work out.

I always wanted to open a " chainsaw shop" on my own but never could make a go of it because I didn't have a dealership like Stihl or sell mowers nor did I have a good location for people to make a special trip to drop off a saw. This is the next best thing for me to see if I can cut the mustard as a pro small engine wrench so to speak and I don't have the hassle of parts or people.

The corner still isn't cleared out at the shop to work on saws which doesn't surprise me because of all the rain we have been having the place is literally littered with mowers. I have been taking saws to my place to work on them which is good because I like using my own tools and know where every thing is at and it gives me a chance to use things that haven't been used for a long time.

The one thing that has become apparent is that speed is more of a concern now to do repairs verses just tinkering around on a saw . I haven't ran into anything I haven't done before but I am not on the clock so to speak but we are splitting the labor rate on an estimated time to do the repair. I want to make the shop owner look good, make some money and make a little money for myself .

So far so good . It has been interesting. The shop owner is happy and so am I but it never ceases to amaze me how saws get torn up and abused . I asked the owner when do I graduate to working on mowers:lol:

I could rattle on but this post is getting too long.
Pics of the most abused saws would be entertaining.

Ha, I have one that you would be interested in . A ms 200 that swallowed a broken piece of the air filter cover screw tang that got between the filter and carb and ended up grenading the piston . It locked that engine up good . The engine turned one way but wouldn't turn all the way over . It was bad to say the least. We are waiting for parts to fix it but I have first dibs on the left overs and have some 200 parts to possible make another Frankenstein 200. I might need some parts from you later on if this works out.

Fixing broken saws awesome job congrats. Someone has to do it, there’s plenty of abused saws to repair sounds like a lifetime job.

I buy saws to collect but the deeper I get into some the more problems I find. The po fixed the recoil starter with a added plate with bolts and nuts. I changed the recoil housing to a good one and the recoil spring snaps at the bend. Got a new recoil spring and rope so that’s ok now. I find a starter pawl broken off. Since it’s 99cc’s with no de comp it’s a bear to pull the rope. I’m thinking I know we’re the broken parts went? On the magnet inside the flywheel. I checked the spark, no sparky. There goes my spare SEM ignition. Just when my stock pile of extra parts is coming together. Just an example of my retirement fun days. It feels like 175/200lbs of compression.

Thanks Huskybill

This is for Lone wolf our resident 200 expert here on the site. I was told this was an excellent running saw till swallowed something it shouldn't have . This should never had happened but it did. Poor old 200. This is what is left of the piston and rings along with pics of the intake and exhaust side of the piston. The cylinder also took a few dings at the top of one of the transfers that went through the nikisol (?) lining, my camera isn't good enough to show that damage. DSCN2051.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2052.JPG
    DSCN2052.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 30
  • DSCN2053.JPG
    DSCN2053.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 28
  • DSCN2054.JPG
    DSCN2054.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 27
Sorry I have to ask what’s the bore look like in the cylinder?

I’m fighting with the cylinder screws on a 2100 im a happy camper. I wanted to replace the two 2100’s I once ran. Yuck. Lol the more I get into it the more attention it needs. I figured I might as well go through the whole saw making it rebuilt. I’m a sucker for a good buy.

I haven't really looked at the bore that close but it don't look to bad, a few wear spots around the exhaust port nothing out of the ordinary. I myself would consider reusing for myself but those dings are pretty deep it depends on how it would clean up or if I could somehow fix it. We are not reusing that part for the customer . Can't take a chance on it as it will be a everyday work saw.

This saw has had kind of a hard life , the crank and rod bearings are also marginal from hard use and plain old wear from every day cutting. The saw came from a local tree service but it didn't deserve to die in this manner.

I’d like to see that piston put back in for ha’s, ha’s just to see how many more miles it would last. Definitely a conversation piece at the bar.

I am trying to toot my own horn by bringing this thread back but another strange turn of events has happened to me . I now have another part time job working at my own pace and no pressure as a saw wrench for an actual Stihl dealer in a nearby town that also carries two lines of a national brand of both consumer and commercial mowers along with the Stihl stuff. They called me and asked if I would come over and work on their Stihl stuff like chainsaws, concrete saws, trimmers , clearing saws and blowers. I don't know why they asked me because I don't have any so called credentials as a Stihl tech but so far so good and I am getting things done .

It is a family type business that has been in business for many years but these people have it together. The shop is first class and organized and is not a grease pit. The parts department has had everything I have needed to make my job easier and get the non running stuff in the done pile so customers can pick their stuff up. I am an hourly employee but so far they have treated me like royalty and appreciate that I am helping them . I guess no one wants to work on these small engines because they just can't find anyone and with all the rain we have been having mowers take priority over saws and trimmers.

Most of the work has been carb swaps , along with fuel lines . I was told no carb rebuilding or carb kits because it is just cheaper to replace the carb which is true . I have run into a couple of units with a seized crankshaft and con rod bearing in a clearing saw along with roached piston in a chainsaw but for the most part the stuff I have worked on is fairly new and clean which makes it nice compared to working on some dirty saw that has sat in someone's garage for ten twenty years.

I wanted to see if I could cut it as a pro saw wrench . I am sure getting a taste of it now.

Congrats on the new job! I enjoy working on saws but only when I want to do it. I built several last year from scrap heaps but up until yesterday I hadn't touched one in months. Its a fun hobby, I don't think I could make it as a full time saw wrencher though. When I say I hadn't touched one in months, I meant actually worked on one. I use the dang things every day.

Back