I hit metal and now make crooked cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wrong once when I bought a Husqvarna chainsaw…lol

But I know what you mean…I’ve spent decades trying to explain engineering to people with preconceived untested notions…..math and physics are hard and looking back I guess that’s a good thing because not everyone should do it….
I'll end with a little friendly jab at your profession in general. I currently work as an amusement ride mechanic.(heavy duty diesel before that.) The funniest thing for me to see is when an engineer can't figure out why something doesn't work as they thought it should, and the rest of us uneducated idiots explains it to them many many times till we just go right to the problem and physically show them why it didn't work and how to correct it. Happens quite often. Often enough that our in house engineer has come to trust us when we tell him that's not going to work. The best is with air and hydraulic systems. Yep on paper it should work. The computer even confirmed it. But out on the track it didn't pan out. Same thing here. I'm too dumb to explain it any better, that it just doesn't matter and the chain doesn't react how you think it should.

I was cutting up a big white oak and i hit metal a few times. Sparks flew. I sharpened the chain using my stihl 2in1 sharpener and it starting cutting crooked. Would getting it sharpened on a machine get it back to normal? The teeth look ok. Some that were more beat up got filed more, would having some teeth slightly shorter cause crooked cuts? One thing i did that was new was face the tip of the bar and file each tooth in a row by turning the sharpener instead of doing all of one side then the other. I used to alway lean over the powerhead. That doesn't seem like it would be the reason but i didnt try it the old way.
Yep a machine will do it. A file will too. Just try to make the cutters all the same. A machine makes easy work of really busted up cutters. You can get a round grinder for a couple hundred bucks. They're great for rocked out cutters.

I'll end with a little friendly jab at your profession in general. I currently work as an amusement ride mechanic.(heavy duty diesel before that.) The funniest thing for me to see is when an engineer can't figure out why something doesn't work as they thought it should, and the rest of us uneducated idiots explains it to them many many times till we just go right to the problem and physically show them why it didn't work and how to correct it. Happens quite often. Often enough that our in house engineer has come to trust us when we tell him that's not going to work. The best is with air and hydraulic systems. Yep on paper it should work. The computer even confirmed it. But out on the track it didn't pan out. Same thing here. I'm too dumb to explain it any better, that it just doesn't matter and the chain doesn't react how you think it should.
Yeah, the chain just doesn’t react how you think it should… physics is physics in the end..

I’ll end with a friendly jab at your profession too, I love wannabe engineers, there’s one on every project…toxic non team players who often put people in danger….many of my most profitable jobs have been because of them screwing things up they have no clue about….lol

Think agriculture. If I plough in a field with my tractor, and the depth of the plough is set differently on my left relatively on the right, have three discs on the left & one disc on the right there will be a tendency to pull skew.

Back