I just got a Mac SP-40 and Have Some Questions on Chain/Bar, etc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rschaffter

Reaction score
I recently picked up a McCulloch Super Pro 40 at a sale for $20; it reminded me of my Uncle Dan's old Mini Mac. It's my first gas chainsaw; I've been using an electric Wen 14" for the last 20 years for bucking windfalls, heavy pruning and occasionally murdering small trees, and I've used buddies' gas saws while helping with various jobs. While I haven't owned a gas saw, I have long tinkered with engines; I paid a total of $100 for my four mowers and tractor. ;)

Mercifully the tank was empty and the compression was good. I fussed with the carb and it starts with some work, but needs to idle a bit fast; I have ordered a carb kit. It looks pretty good, although I think it was stored hung up by the handle as the rubber handle mounts are all stretched out. There isn't excessive play in the handle, but it looks odd with the gaps at the handle ends.

According to a parts list I found online, this model (600082U) originally came with a 14" bar. It has a 16" sprocket-end McCulloch bar (and a genuine McCulloch sheath for a 12" bar!) marked .050.250ZB, but the chain tensioner is set absolutely as far out as it will go. The chain seems pretty loose in the links, but before I get a new chain, I wanted to make sure that that there weren't different bar mounts; I'd hate to buy a new chain and have it be too long as well. As one would expect from the bar markings, it's an 1/4" pitch x 0.050", 80 link chain. Does this bar have the right mounting holes for this saw? :msp_confused:

Secondly, are is there any instruction information floating around, like how often to squeeze the oiler? I found online what appears to be a scanned in Chilton Manual section which was helpful when I was fooling with the carb, and I picked up a McCulloch shop manual on eBay today for $5. Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance! :msp_biggrin:

drive sprocket will most likely be worn as well, i would suggest converting to 3/8 low profile (bar, sprocket and chain)................;)

drive sprocket will most likely be worn as well, i would suggest converting to 3/8 low profile (bar, sprocket and chain)................;)

I considered that, but I don't know exactly what to buy. The drive sprocket is decent, and I can get an 80 tooth chain for about $25, if that's the right bar on the saw...

I did some Googling, and a McCulloch 215252 3/8" sprocket drum will allegedly fit an SP-40. However, the sprocket is different than the sprocket for the 1/4 inch chain, which has an inner rim to hold the drive links; what keeps the chain from moving inward and hitting the engine? Is the 3/8" stiff enough for that not to happen?

However, are there any advantages to a 3/8" chain other than wider availability? I don't know if availability is really an issue for me, as I haven't yet quite worn out the bar and chain on my 20 year old Wen...

Thanx in advance... :)

Back