I just joined the forum, and bought a used chainsaw :) Lol, quick questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, I was actually thinking of putting the head of the 660 and 391 in the dishwasher to make em purdy :)
I am only engaged, so it's still good until she lives here permanently!!

I'm guessing the dishwasher would ruin them somehow, so I have just been reading the forum on de-gunking a chainsaw (I have 9 currently, and they've all gotten a good workout this year)
Dishwasher works great for plastics, anything aluminum or magnesium will tarnish. Although I will say, I convinced a buddy of mine to put some Subaru cylinder heads and pistons in his dishwasher. Came out clean as a whistle lol. Should have taken a picture of that.

Lol, I was actually thinking of putting the head of the 660 and 391 in the dishwasher to make em purdy :)
I am only engaged, so it's still good until she lives here permanently!!

I'm guessing the dishwasher would ruin them somehow, so I have just been reading the forum on de-gunking a chainsaw (I have 9 currently, and they've all gotten a good workout this year)
Just get a bushy brush (long hair ,thick body) cut a plastic bottle in half, get some 2 liters of gasoline, empty the oil bar and gas from the chainsaw, tighten well the caps so no dirt enters the tanks, remove air filter but shove a sock in ,to keep dirt out(or tight it well with a zip tie or ROPE 🙄😁 ) and start de-gunking your beloved chainsaw! Preferably do it outside, I almost blew up the house once 😂 ,years ago while cleaning some parts on a motorcycle...
Compresed air source would be good but you might blow dirt in the engine, not a good idea! Smaller brushes would be good for tighter spots,it's your decision! Leave it to dry in sun after you're done ,et voila: good as new 😁😎
Of course oil up everything it needs to be oiled when you're done! A new air filter or even gas filter(think it's inside the gas tank) would be ideal! Check the spark plug gap as manual say,replace if it's done sparking 🙄😁

Dishwasher works great for plastics, anything aluminum or magnesium will tarnish. Although I will say, I convinced a buddy of mine to put some Subaru cylinder heads and pistons in his dishwasher. Came out clean as a whistle lol. Should have taken a picture of that.
Caustic soda in small percentage does wonders on oily carbon deposits. Just don't keep it for too long on aluminium parts. Especially cylinder heads with the sealing surface exposed! You might turn them into scrap metal. Of course beeing a Subaru,problems never end(as in Range rover cars...), So either way ,if you're not carefull you might still end up with some scrap metal 😁
Solvents do an amazing job even on hardened carbon deposits seen on the combustion chamber or piston head/surface! But solvents are "kind of" illegal, expensive and toxic! I wouldn't mind using them! Also ,if you're "determined" to clean car parts to perfection/lick them after you're done ,ultrasonic cleaning works wonders! Especially on carbs,without any damage even to aluminum parts! But you need a big ultrasonic bath+cleaning fluid if you want a spotless inline six 3.0 liter cylinder head 😁🙄
Most just use caustic soda solution and lots of 200bar industrial high pressure washers+hot water.(diesel heated in many).

WOT in the cut that is. WOT for brief time also ok to check mixture/top speed.
"Check mixture"? I just use it as I got it out of the box! No problems starting even on cold(minus 5 celcius) or very hot (+36/38 celsius in sun). Fuel consumption is very ok ,usually I get tired before I finnish a tank of fuel(800ml) . Especially on hot summer weather it's criminal.... Won't do that again anytime soon... I hope I won't need to get my hands in the carb because I'm clueless working on chainsaw carbs...

"Check mixture"? I just use it as I got it out of the box! No problems starting even on cold(minus 5 celcius) or very hot (+36/38 celsius in sun). Fuel consumption is very ok ,usually I get tired before I finnish a tank of fuel(800ml) . Especially on hot summer weather it's criminal.... Won't do that again anytime soon... I hope I won't need to get my hands in the carb because I'm clueless working on chainsaw carbs...
By "checking mixture" I was referring to listening to the sound the exhaust makes at WOT, not necessarily adjusting the carb.
Sounds like you're all set then, cut away! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back