I like chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wombat Ranger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi my name is Wombat Ranger and I like chainsaws. I find this site quite useful so I decided to join.

I live in NW Montana where your cell phone doesn't work. We get electricity from the sun and store it in batteries so we can turn the lights on just like the city folks. My brother and I are contractors together. I think the internet makes people stupid. This site seems to be pretty good though.

I have always been a gearhead and like to tinker. My favorite projects involve fixing up something that others think is junk or garbage and making it into something useful. I don't think I have any saws that are particularly special, but my brother has a McCulloch 7-10 Automatic that is pretty cool. He likes to tinker too, we both seem to like things that are older than we are.

1601906064421.png

The 7-10 and the Poulan belong to my brother, the rest are mine. He's 5 years younger than me so he has time to catch up.

I just picked up the little blue Homelite Super XL Automatic at a yard sale yesterday. I think it will run.

One of the 268xp's is going to be an organ donor soon, I need the parts for fixing up my other 268 and also to help make my 61 into a "sleeper". And I have a friend who needs the frame/handle/tank/chassis/whatever.

The 1989 300th Anniversary 61 was my first chainsaw. It's in quite nice shape, though the 61 sticker flapped off, tore, disappeared and it doesn't look as handsome anymore. First saw = First love, it'll always be my baby.

That 240X-Torq is tucked way in the back in time-out because it seems to have some kind of fuel delivery problem. Otherwise feels like a pretty fresh little saw. Probably just a junked up carb from someone putting ethanol gas in it.

MS290 was free a few years back because the top end burned down, cylinder scored way bad etc. I put a $30 china special MS390 top end kit on it (cleaned up messy casting), new crank bearings/seals, new fuel line (ethanol rotted ) and can't remember what else and it has been a good saw since, though I don't particularly care much for it.

45 special up high is an absolute animal for limbing with a 16" bar, broke the throttle cable last week and put it up high with a wore out 28 just for fun.

And lastly, That 562XP in the middle is a saw that I got from a saw dealer (Not a Husqvarna dealer) last spring for cheap because they said it was blown up. Brake handle was broken, had a brand new 24" bar and chain on it, currently available Pro model saw, can't go wrong so I gave them their asking price for it. I got it home, put gas in it and pulled on the cord a few times and it fired up and ran. I ordered a Full wrap & dogs, brake handle, and have been clearing land and cutting wood with it all year.

Anyway that's me and my saws. Hi, nice to meet you. Hope you're all having a nice fall.

I see you're in Eastern OK. Near Ozarks? I have family history in The Ozarks. Great Grandfather preached, ran a few sawmills, and logged. I recently bought a backhoe loader from a guy in NW OK. Flat as a board there. Real good guy though. We have been staying in touch. I think I bought a pickup from him too actually. Not sure when I will go get it.

1602034768773.png

I see you're in Eastern OK. Near Ozarks? I have family history in The Ozarks. Great Grandfather preached, ran a few sawmills, and logged. I recently bought a backhoe loader from a guy in NW OK. Flat as a board there. Real good guy though. We have been staying in touch. I think I bought a pickup from him too actually. Not sure when I will go get it.

View attachment 859839
sounds like you were brought up with a good family foundation!

Back