I love my chinese saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samaritan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently bought a Bilt Hard chainsaw on Amazon for about 120$, and so far I've cut about 1/2 cord of wood, all kinds of hardwood, and its been great, throws out big chips, and has plenty of power,so as an occasional use saw, I'd say its worth the money. Its got a 53cc engine, and 18 inch bar.

I recently bought a Bilt Hard chainsaw on Amazon for about 120$, and so far I've cut about 1/2 cord of wood, all kinds of hardwood, and its been great, throws out big chips, and has plenty of power,so as an occasional use saw, I'd say its worth the money. Its got a 53cc engine, and 18 inch bar.

I could also go buy a Husky 235 or Stihl 170, which will run like a top for a while, and "throw out big chips."

But how long will that saw run 4-6hrs per day, 4-5 days a week, for 12 or 36 months?

Edit: think about the resources taken to manufacture and ship that saw, it's ultimate longevity, in relation to a solidly-built pro saw that will last 3-30 years depending on maintenance and upkeep.

If I ran a saw for a living I'd have a pro saw but I dont, I cut 4-5 cord of wood a year and clear atv trails.
Some of the china 52-60cc saws are a lot better than others. The joncutter, supmix and weimars are some of the best 54.5cc(they claim more) china saws.
For my use the chinese saws I have chosen work well and one was 5 years old before a tuning f up wrecked the crank bearing and crank.
My saws are modded and running 15000rpm, if you leave the saws stock they will last a long time and never blow up.
My brother has a husky 240, it's a pos compared to my even cheaper saws.

I could also go buy a Husky 235 or Stihl 170, which will run like a top for a while, and "throw out big chips."

But how long will that saw run 4-6hrs per day, 4-5 days a week, for 12 or 36 months?

Edit: think about the resources taken to manufacture and ship that saw, it's ultimate longevity, in relation to a solidly-built pro saw that will last 3-30 years depending on maintenance and upkeep.
yeah you are correct, but its still worth the money for as much as I'll use it

Lots of knock-off saws out there. How well they hold up is key. Then again, same with all saws. In the hands of some people no saw will last. Between straight gassing, driving over it, running a severely worn and damaged chain, no or little maintenance, etc. there are endless ways to kill a new saw, regardless of its pedigree.

I made an online list of the best older saws ever produced. I think most would be better off with those if saving money is the thing.
Negative, that list won't help someone that doesn't have a clue about buying used saws, or doesn't know how to work on them. Won't help them a bit when it sits for 3 years with rotten gas in it and they ultimately complain about brand (fill in the blank.) High dollar saw only used twice doesn't run anymore.
The cheap junk hits that market just fine. When it won't start with that old fuel, and the carb is garbage just go buy another saw for $99.99 and cut wood. Rinse wash repeat.
Your list is great, but geared twords the more mechanically inclined, that will take care of it and hopefully use it more then 30 seconds a year. Let them have their junk.

How about Chinese parts

Lots of knock-off saws out there. How well they hold up is key. Then again, same with all saws. In the hands of some people no saw will last. Between straight gassing, driving over it, running a severely worn and damaged chain, no or little maintenance, etc. there are endless ways to kill a new saw, regardless of its pedigree.
Nicely put and so true

My ported, big carbed 5800 joncutter out cuts my buddies stock 359, 257 and 550xp saws.
Power wise it's impressive, the soft top handle and easy start makes it feel cheap tho.
Anytime your in my area feel free to being it over. I have a ported 359 that will put it in its place.

Back