I love my chinese saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Max Milligan, the Troll of Dublinshire! I came here to learn about chainsaws? and there are a handful of keyboard warriors, raging politics,, and discussing how quickly they are able to disassemble a gun? in the Dark?

Sorry, missed this one. Pretty sure that Rigid didn't develop the first circular saw and Craftsman didn't develop the original combination wrench. If you really want to complain about parts interchangeability and straight out duplication, lets talk about the Taurus 92 series of pistols which were built on the production equipment that Beretta sold them after the patents expired.

You have to remember that a patent and a copywrite are 2 different things. You can't publish a document that I have a copywrite on and call it your own. A patent, on the other hand, has an expiration date. If you have the patent, and choose not to renew it, other companies can take advantage of it without paying you to do so. This is not a new concept, and it certainly didn't start with the Chinese. The Chinese are good at it because they make so many parts for so many companies. As such, when a patent expires, they know about it and are first in line to take advantage of it if they want (I'm pretending here that they aren't actively violating international patent laws where it suits them).

Realistically, the fact that I can buy replacement parts from my Stihl dealership is a huge bonus in multiple ways. Its makes things easier for me AND it puts some of that money I saved into my local economy.

As far as Chinese plants only making good parts for other companies, that's a misguided statement at best. One thing that all asian companies have done a good job at for the past 70 years is respond to their customer's demands. Japanese cars used to be considered junk and now they outlast the big 3 by a wide margin. I routinely get over 300K out of a Honda or Toyota. Honda small engines are literally legendary, and Japan made almost every diesel engine for <40hp tractors for several decades. Korean imports started off the same way, cheap junk. Now their exports are typically superior to our domestic products.

As others have alluded to, this conversation really isn't about Chinese chainsaws. It's about why America struggles to compete on the global manufacturing stage. Why do we allow people to make decisions just because they have a degree when the only thing that degree taught them how to do was generate a timeline and a PowerPoint presentation? I've personally witnessed this process bankrupt and destroy at least 5 major (multi-billion dollar) corporations. I would absolutely love to always buy American so long as it ment that I was buying products that were truly made in America from companies that were efficiently making the best products. At this time, buying American just means that I'm financially encouraging companies to continue to do what they are doing. In most cases, I think that's bad for our country.
You still seem to be missing my original point. Rigid, Craftsman, Taurus all make good quality tools, at least compared to the chinesium quality saws. Their existence isnt soley making copies at the lowest possible price point. Each of them has their own patents in many fields. They employ people in 1st world countries and pay a fair wage. They contribute to the economy. They pay taxes into local communities.
Can't say any of that about the leech that is Holzforma. You get a box of parts made from molds that were discarded from a reputable manufacturer because they were wore out and no longer met the reputable manufacturers criteria.
They literally have almost no overhead.
Remember the Harbor Freight jack stand recall because they were randomly falling with a car on them and maiming people? This is exactly why that happened. You get what you pay for.

But more specifically . Does Rigid, Craftsman, or Taurus make a tool/gun that is such a direct copy it will interchange part for part with another brand?

Very likely you fellas complaining about Chinese products wrote your messages on a Chinese made phone or PC.

They are making products that a manufacturer stopped making a decade ago, with designs that have expired patents. No legal violations.

These Chinese companies would make them gladly for Stihl or Husqvarna if asked

Very likely you fellas complaining about Chinese products wrote your messages on a Chinese made phone or PC.

They are making products that a manufacturer stopped making a decade ago, with designs that have expired patents. No legal violations.

Try reading through the thread before you post.

I bought a STIHL Hedge trimmer at a yard sale and upon closer inspection it said made in China on it. I am not thrilled with it.

You still seem to be missing my original point. Rigid, Craftsman, Taurus all make good quality tools, at least compared to the chinesium quality saws. Their existence isnt soley making copies at the lowest possible price point. Each of them has their own patents in many fields. They employ people in 1st world countries and pay a fair wage. They contribute to the economy. They pay taxes into local communities.
Can't say any of that about the leech that is Holzforma. You get a box of parts made from molds that were discarded from a reputable manufacturer because they were wore out and no longer met the reputable manufacturers criteria.
They literally have almost no overhead.
Remember the Harbor Freight jack stand recall because they were randomly falling with a car on them and maiming people? This is exactly why that happened. You get what you pay for.

But more specifically . Does Rigid, Craftsman, or Taurus make a tool/gun that is such a direct copy it will interchange part for part with another brand?
Does Rigid, Craftsman or Taurus make a 92+cc saw for <$1000?

I just bought another chinese saw.
A neo tec 892, 92cc, 24 inch bar for 370 canadian. That's the same price as a 40cc homeowner name brand saw.
The neo tec is decent, it runs great, it started in 5 pulls out of the box, it oils just enough for the 24 inch bar but it doesnt oil like a oem stihl running a longer bar would require an oem oil pump. If I get another bar it'll be a 20 so I'll be fine with the oiling.
The only thing that was bad or junk was the bar, it had a tight spot in the bar rail, I had to open the rail up with a little cut off wheel in a dremel in a spot about 3 inches long.
I have about 3 tanks through it now, it starts really good and never misses a beat.

I’m all thumbs down on the China junk guys. I know some of you love the prices, but there’s more to it than a momentary bargain... the Chinese steal EVERYTHING, and innovate NOTHING!
Buy whatever you can afford , and run it wherever you won't be criticized; chinesium is across the baord, understood to be, and has record of being....complete garbage. Rebuttals from chinese vendors? Really?
Just take the slave labour and the filthy environment .......and forget the QC of zero.

There's two ways to look at buying chinese saws.
One just dont and only buy stuff made in merica. Good luck with that, I cant afford to do that.
Two, I can get a big fast saw for a couple hundred bucks if I get a clone. I will have to tinker with it a bit, but they've been around for years now and are pretty much sorted out by now.
The 066 clones have come a long way in the last few years, there decent saws now, just heavy.

There's two ways to look at buying chinese saws.
One just dont and only buy stuff made in merica. Good luck with that, I cant afford to do that.
Two, I can get a big fast saw for a couple hundred bucks if I get a clone. I will have to tinker with it a bit, but they've been around for years now and are pretty much sorted out by now.
The 066 clones have come a long way in the last few years, there decent saws now, just heavy.
Another choice would be to buy used saws and fix 'em up. That's what I do..

Another choice would be to buy used saws and fix 'em up. That's what I do..
The Chinese copy of the 880 is what, $550? Buying a used 880 is $1200-1500 around here. Ebay? $1600.

Saw resale prices are very very high. To the extent that Chinese copies don't just undercut them, often they're less than half.

Are Chinese copies as good as a stihl or husq? Doesn't seem like it.

Are the Chinese capable of making a saw that good? Oh absolutely. But why would they? The guys who won't buy it for being Chinese still won't buy it; they can't offer the service/support structure that would be needed to take real commercial user market share from the established brands here. Chinese industry can and do make incredible products... when there's the financial incentive to do so. They figure it's more profitable to make the $60-600 copies they're making now than to try to compete with the quality brands on saws that would sell for 2-3x what their current products do. Are they right? Who knows. But if they decide that making a $1200 881 copy that's just as good as a Stihl is a good idea... we're going to see a saw just as good as a 881 for $1200. Now will that involve them hiring ex Stihl designers/engineers to consult on building the necessary factory/process? Oh yeah it will. That's not a bad thing for customers, in my book.

Not wanting to buy Chinese products b/c of human rights concerns, political concerns, etc... is fine.

Writing off Chinese products b/c they're all garbage is misinformed and nonproductive. Stuff like the images of the poor casting on a Chinese-built saw is productive. Engineering to meet a demand is a big part of the job. If the demand is for a fairly disposable saw that costs <$100 to manufacture... then stuff like that MAY be ideal. Is a new Porsche a better vehicle than a beat up old Camry that barely passes inspection? What if you have $500 to spend and just need to get back and forth a few miles to work? What good is better if you can't buy it?

The Chinese copy of the 880 is what, $550? Buying a used 880 is $1200-1500 around here. Ebay? $1600.

Saw resale prices are very very high. To the extent that Chinese copies don't just undercut them, often they're less than half.

Are Chinese copies as good as a stihl or husq? Doesn't seem like it.

Are the Chinese capable of making a saw that good? Oh absolutely. But why would they? The guys who won't buy it for being Chinese still won't buy it; they can't offer the service/support structure that would be needed to take real commercial user market share from the established brands here. Chinese industry can and do make incredible products... when there's the financial incentive to do so. They figure it's more profitable to make the $60-600 copies they're making now than to try to compete with the quality brands on saws that would sell for 2-3x what their current products do. Are they right? Who knows. But if they decide that making a $1200 881 copy that's just as good as a Stihl is a good idea... we're going to see a saw just as good as a 881 for $1200. Now will that involve them hiring ex Stihl designers/engineers to consult on building the necessary factory/process? Oh yeah it will. That's not a bad thing for customers, in my book.

Not wanting to buy Chinese products b/c of human rights concerns, political concerns, etc... is fine.

Writing off Chinese products b/c they're all garbage is misinformed and nonproductive. Stuff like the images of the poor casting on a Chinese-built saw is productive. Engineering to meet a demand is a big part of the job. If the demand is for a fairly disposable saw that costs <$100 to manufacture... then stuff like that MAY be ideal. Is a new Porsche a better vehicle than a beat up old Camry that barely passes inspection? What if you have $500 to spend and just need to get back and forth a few miles to work? What good is better if you can't buy it?
I don't know where you buy your used saws but I think I can beat it on price. Sometimes I have to do a little makeover however..

Latest posts

Back