I need help with a project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noku

Reaction score
Hello. My friend and I are taking part in a science fair. We live in Zimbabwe and would like some assistance. We are trying to find a way to boost the rate at which many trees grow. We are thinking about genetically modifying some auxin or something, but we don't know which tree species we can use as a source of the desirable characteristic. If there is anyone who knows a fast-growing tree I can find in Zimbabwe that we can use to carry out our investigation, please lend a helping hand. It would be greatly appreciated.

I know very little about African trees, so I can't offer specific help.
While I don't ordinarily like to be a downer, I feel I have to offer some cautions for you to consider, though. There is a huge problem worldwide with invasive species. Genetic modification increases the probability of producing an invasive species that could create ecological havoc. Work in this field are supposed to include stringent measures to prevent the proliferation of the experimental plants outside of the experimental area.

I know very little about African trees, so I can't offer specific help.
While I don't ordinarily like to be a downer, I feel I have to offer some cautions for you to consider, though. There is a huge problem worldwide with invasive species. Genetic modification increases the probability of producing an invasive species that could create ecological havoc. Work in this field are supposed to include stringent measures to prevent the proliferation of the experimental plants outside of the experimental area.
Thank you very much for your help. I guess my friend and I will have to come up with something else.

Hi Noku,

Do you know about grafting? This is a fairly simple process that combines a 'parent' rootstock with a 'scion' to create trees with unique characteristics.
Another approach would be making sure soil quality and moisture conditions are optimal for faster growth.
Possibly the Forest Commission can help? :
http://www.forestry.co.zw/research-training-introduction/
I lived in Burkina Faso for a short time in 1982. Africa is a big continent!

Good luck with your project!

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Hi Noku,

Do you know about grafting? This is a fairly simple process that combines a 'parent' rootstock with a 'scion' to create trees with unique characteristics.
Another approach would be making sure soil quality and moisture conditions are optimal for faster growth.
Possibly the Forest Commission can help? :
http://www.forestry.cWo.zw/research-training-introduction/
I lived in Burkina Faso for a short time in 1982. Africa is a big continent!

Good luck with your project!

Thanks and good health, Weogo
Thank you for the assistance. We will look into it.

Hello. My friend and I are taking part in a science fair. We live in Zimbabwe and would like some assistance. We are trying to find a way to boost the rate at which many trees grow. We are thinking about genetically modifying some auxin or something, but we don't know which tree species we can use as a source of the desirable characteristic. If there is anyone who knows a fast-growing tree I can find in Zimbabwe that we can use to carry out our investigation, please lend a helping hand. It would be greatly appreciated.
Research 'Austree' for a very fast growing tree, but be aware that an introduced species can become invasive and decimate the very fine balance of a native ecosystem.... don't fool with Mother Nature. Our forests in North America have suffered from imported problems such ash Emerald Ash Borer and Dutch Elm Disease

Research 'Austree' for a very fast growing tree, but be aware that an introduced species can become invasive and decimate the very fine balance of a native ecosystem.... don't fool with Mother Nature. Our forests in North America have suffered from imported problems such ash Emerald Ash Borer and Dutch Elm Disease

Research Austree as a cautionary tale... horrible horrible tree.

Back