I really WANTED to hate ir

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maowwg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Quick story

I had three substantial Box Elder trees encroaching on the home. The largest of which had a defective union. Had to come down. Rented a manlift and took care of the problem.
I don’t have a top handle saw and didn’t want to spring for one for a single project. I’m not running a tree service, I’m not climbing and I don’t have anything else close to the house. I already had a Remington electric pole saw/ “chainsaw “ combos with a 12 inch bar. Light weight one handed saw slow cutting, but I could make it work
So I went on Facebook marketplace and picked up a previous owned never used “new” Remington 16 inch electric saw with the quick release chain adjuster for $20. I really hated the idea but because the one handed saw was electric I had to run a cord to the lift basket anyway. With the electric cord there I didn’t need to be pulling a starting rope in the basket on a standard sized gas saw and trying to manage the size and weight around the basket.
Thought process was what the heck, I’ll give it a try, burn it up or sell it for what I bought it for, and if I didn’t work I have a garage full of gas saws.

Well as much as I want to, I can’t hate it. I ended up using it to cut up all the limb wood. Where it really shined was everything 6” and under where cutting speed is irrelevant (half of 4 seconds only saves 2) and most of what you’re doing cleaning up is just endlessly moving material. — Yes of course I used a gas saw for the trunks.
Someone say something to rescue me. I’m thinking of dumping my all my extra gas saws. Keeping my Echo to manage my hunting land and making this my “extra” / “loaner” / “go to” small job around the house saw.
Part of this decision is my storage procedure where by I run the tank dry after either only using all pre mixed fuel for small jobs or on big jobs running the last tank of pre-mixed fuel to flush all gasoline out. That’s a lot of messing around if all you have on a given day is piece of firewood that’s too long, limb down or a friend who expects to borrow a chainsaw because you’ve made the previous social error of talking about two cycle engine’s in a social situation.
What are your thoughts? Can anyone save me? No gas mix, no air filter, no spark plug, no starting problems, no starting rope, no carb diaphragms, no hardening fuel lines, no cylinder to score, no storage procedure, no batteries to replace and essentially no cost to operate...But also no joy of ownership. Is there anyone out there who admits to owning one of these things and why or should we just hate them anyway because they are not “real” chainsaws?

So you are prepared to give up your two cycle saws "other than the echo designated for maintaining hunting land" to string an electric cord out every time you need to cut a limb?
Maintaining two cycle saws is not as big of a deal as folks make it out to be. Just remember no cheap gas, no cheap two cycle mix, do not store gas can where they were sweat.

There are so many different opinions on the forums and internet about how to store your stuff, this is how I store my stuff and never had an single issue with anything, I do not go through carbs, my plugs do not foul out, my stuff starts when need it to and I use it when I need it.
My saws are stored in a jobox in my garage, I store them with Stihl moto-mix which is 93 octane non ethanol fuel and HP ultra synthetic mix. The two that are retired I change out the moto mix every 2 years, zero issues of any kind yet to date. The rest of my running saws I would without hesitation store them with moto-mix for same time, but again 2 years is my max with the moto-mix because that is what has worked, that is the time duration that moto-mix is rated to stay fresh and optimum for.
Trimmers, pole saw, etc. are in an non heated or cooled, but insulated out building that is very close matching the temps outside, their moto-mix is changed and ran out every year because I use them that much and have had zero issues.

I believe this is year 6 storing with the moto mix, but before that and I still today only use 93 octane gas in everything I stored everything with 93 octane gas, hp ultra mix, and still did not have any issues with my equipment.
Now the know it all tightwads that scream gas is gas, use everything other than two cycle mix, etc. etc. etc. well lets just say they are replacing carbs, rebuilding carbs, and or plugs 2 to 4 times before someone storing their stuff properly is.

“So you are prepared to give up your two cycle saws "other than the echo designated for maintaining hunting land" to string an electric cord out every time you need to cut a limb?” ...Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. (2 Echos 400 and 490)

I can’t know when I store them when I will run a gas saw again at the land So I do a full storage procedure involving premix (not always Stihl) and running the saw empty. Way more horsing around than uncoiling / recoiling a cord or 2.

“So you are prepared to give up your two cycle saws "other than the echo designated for maintaining hunting land" to string an electric cord out every time you need to cut a limb?” ...Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. (2 Echos 400 and 490)

I can’t know when I store them when I will run a gas saw again at the land So I do a full storage procedure involving premix (not always Stihl) and running the saw empty. Way more horsing around than uncoiling / recoiling a cord or 2.
Ahh I understand if your property you maintain is that small where you can use electric all the time go for it. I could never use electric anything, it would involve packing generators, cords, etc.
But you could mark a calendar, set it on your phone and or pc, tape a note to them just as a reminder to start up and change the mix.

“if your property you maintain is that small where you can use electric all the time go for it.”

Isn’t that everyone living on an acre or less? Gotta figure the house lawn and drive all take up part of that space so maybe more?

Trust me. I REALLY wanted to hate it, but it cuts reasonably well and requires zero maintenance. By the way I just hooked up a couple extension cords to my shop vac to clean out the cars. Never considered a 2 cycle shop vac. Just kidding but hating the cords is largely a matter of mindset. Never give it a second thought for the shop vac or the air compressor...

I don’t do cords at all for anything besides stationary shop equipment so unless its at least battery powered I can’t get behind it! As much as I love 2 strokes I’m really ok with battery stuff but NOT ok with dragging a cord around for anything.

Latest posts

Back