Identifying my XL12

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4breezes

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Here is the age-old thread, what saw do I have? I'm trying to identify my older Homelite XL12. I bought it in Florida about 1965, from a man who came down from Idaho. The plate lists the serial number as 1609172. I need to either rebuild or replace the carburetor. The saw does not seem to have a model number. What all do I need in order to order parts?

Any thoughts on when this saw was produced?

They first came out around the end of '63 and those serial numbers were in the 150's so most likely if you bought yours in '65 then it's probably a '64-'65.
As already stated, look at the model # and brand of the carb and get the appropriate rebuild kit, it's generally easy to cross reference the kit part #'s online.

I handed the saw to my son-in-law two days ago, asking whether he might be able to fix it. He enjoys tinkering with small engines, and has 15 to18 chainsaws, mostly Stihls. He messaged me last night that he had it running, that it does not need a rebuild. He told me that he cleaned the airbox, removed and cleaned the carburetor, and had it started in about an hour. It will need more attention, I'm sure. That saw has not run for 20 years. I'll have to ask him more closely what he did.

He really wants to cut with my saw, find out how it's lower engine speed and higher torque compares to his Stihls.

The latest report: My SIL tells me that he found evidence of the hard use and care expected of some loggers. He said that overall the saw is in pretty good condition, though in need of extreme cleaning. He found some heavy carbon in places, and thinks that it should get a new bearing on the clutch end of the shaft. The cylinder cooling fins had way too much dirt clogging them. He is really enjoying this.

A picture to give you some idea of his process and progress.

Attachments

• 20221024_133504.jpg
    20221024_133504.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back