if you could only have one saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had to keep only one saw out of my current line up, it would either be my de-stratoed 372xt-w or my wrap-handled ms400. Both usually run a 28" bar and can either brush, chunk down, or fall trees with that set up. I'd probably err on the side of the 372, as I really love that saw and it's a little better for running bars longer than 28". Husky really nailed it on the 3-series saws IMO.

If I had to choose any saw, the 500i would be a strong contender. It's close to that "Goldielocks" do-everything saw.
Ok, I'll have to slightly modify my previous post. Now that I am a 500i owner, the 500i is for sure my pick. It weighs slighly less than my 044s and I can still easily run a 36" on it. It's also way better AV than my old 044s or my 066.

I used to not care about AV that much, but I've got carpal tunnel issues, so it's a big deal nowadays. I was more than happy with the power/weight ratio of both my 044s(ported big-bore cylinders,) but they put my hand to sleep.

The biggest negative about the saw, is probably the filter. It's 2022, IDK why Stihl couldn't do an air injection set up like most of their other saws or just about every Husky made in the last 30 years. I'll throw a Max-flow on it eventually, but the stock filter gets dirty in a hurry.
SUPER FAST cutting thru your wallet
No argument about them being very expensive, but for the above reasons, the cost of admission was worth it.

Ok, I'll have to slightly modify my previous post. Now that I am a 500i owner, the 500i is for sure my pick. It weighs slighly less than my 044s and I can still easily run a 36" on it. It's also way better AV than my old 044s or my 066.

I used to not care about AV that much, but I've got carpal tunnel issues, so it's a big deal nowadays. I was more than happy with the power/weight ratio of both my 044s(ported big-bore cylinders,) but they put my hand to sleep.

The biggest negative about the saw, is probably the filter. It's 2022, IDK why Stihl couldn't do an air injection set up like most of their other saws or just about every Husky made in the last 30 years. I'll throw a Max-flow on it eventually, but the stock filter gets dirty in a hurry.

No argument about them being very expensive, but for the above reasons, the cost of admission was worth it.

20 Years ago i sold my 044's because of the vibration and to save my hands/wrists as i knew it would lead nothing good.

The smoothest saws i ever cut with are Makitas 6401 & 7901

Husky 576xp was another smooth cutting low vibe saw.

I would have to get rid of several to get down to just one. I like the 372xp and love my 272xp. I have a 7900 dolmar, but it would take a month to blow the dust off it. I love my 55 husky's and for most stuff, they are my go-to saws. Then there is that little 346xp, I think there is also a 351, but cant remember for sure. but the short bar makes my back hurt. I also have a 268 and 266 that I haven't crank up in years. Then there is that box full of parts that I have forgotten what's in them. Pretty sure there's parts for at least 2 more 372's and maybe another 55. Looking at my list, I dont see no sthils on it. Surprised I even have that dolmar.

Up until this weekend I would have said my 562xp. Now that it has been replaced with a ms400cm. My mind my be leaning towards the ms400 if i knew it would stand the test of time. Honestly wouldn't want to give up my 390xp either. Would be a toss up. The 390xp has been a very good saw for me. Only one.... I'd keep the 390xp I guess. Runs the big bars and does fine with a short bar on it. If we're talking fairy tail, I'd go with the stihl ms500i. Very impressive saw.

Up until this weekend I would have said my 562xp. Now that it has been replaced with a ms400cm. My mind my be leaning towards the ms400 if i knew it would stand the test of time. Honestly wouldn't want to give up my 390xp either. Would be a toss up. The 390xp has been a very good saw for me. Only one.... I'd keep the 390xp I guess. Runs the big bars and does fine with a short bar on it. If we're talking fairy tail, I'd go with the stihl ms500i. Very impressive saw.
Yeah, it better be good to outdo the 562. Mine have definitely stood the test of time.

easy
MS660

as long as its for "heating my home" the 660 with a 20" bar is my choice. Makes quick work of everything. I've been cutting mostly green ash now, so I drop the tree, limb it with the axe, and buck it up.

I love that saw!

Not to mention, the polar bear festival chainsaw event is 7 days away!!!

I like my 460 a bit better. I have many 066's and 660's in my past, and they didn't last too long. Nothing wrong with the current one, but I have been burned many times in the past by that number. NOT my favorite, except as an unwelcome expense.

As far as "favorite" saws go, that's an easy call. An old 200T for a small saw, and my Husqy 3120 on the bigger side of things. Running the big Husqy was so much fun with a short bar! Kinda heavy, but it would rip through a 16" oak limb in about 9 seconds. With a 24" bar, it was like carrying around a racing saw.

If you could only have one saw to heat your home, what would it be??? me it would be a 372XP..
If you could only have one saw to heat your home, what would it be??? me it would be a 372XP..
372xp. Very easy to work on and parts are easy to find. It's light enough so it doesn't wear my 73 year old skinny body out. I don't cut much over 2 1/2 feet in diameter for firewood, which a 372 will easily cut. I have bucked up a 4 footer with it recently. I ran it against my 390xp in a log about 22". The 390 cuts faster but not enough to justify the weight difference. 372's weren't made when I ran saw for a living. I wish they were

D7G with alligator blade :cheers: GooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooCaterpillar
:hmm3grin2orange:
Who needs a chainsaw anyway!

For me it would be my 036. While I've never owned or ran an 044, I can see why a lot of people would go that route, but I only run an 18" bar and .325 chain (full chisel) on my 036 and it has more than enough power for that bar and that bar is long enough to make over 90% of my cuts in a single pass. More length or power is just extra weight that I can't really utilize.

Ask me again in another 10 years and my answer will likely be the lighter 026.... :)

I wouldn't want to only have one saw, but IF I had to make that decision today, it would be my Jonsered 2260,

IMG-2448-S.jpg

It's just been a GREAT saw!

SR

My MMWS ported MS261C, second choice my MMWS ported 550XP. They will both run a 20” bar great and that is all I really need. Biggest tree I ever had to drop was 32” dbh ponderosa.

Back