If you had $944.14

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What saw would you get for milling and the occasional fell of larger trees?
That is a strange amount to ask about. I am definitely considering a new 395xp before they are gone. Going to have to save a little more than that number though, but not a lot more. Then you start thinking, if I am going to go there, then why not a 3120?

That is where I am right now. Sorry this wasn't any help.

That is a strange amount to ask about. I am definitely considering a new 395xp before they are gone. Going to have to save a little more than that number though, but not a lot more. Then you start thinking, if I am going to go there, then why not a 3120?

That is where I am right now. Sorry this wasn't any help.
Its all good brother and yea the amount is just what I got left in my play money account after Christmas shopping.

I have both 395xp and a modded 7910. Like both saws the 7910 is my go too felling and bucking saw so much lighter than the 395 . 395 I use on real big stuff and milling only thing I dont like on the 395 is the bar adjuster location have to just about remove the Alaskan mill to tighten the chain . Also have a 460 stihl but it's getting tired going to need a rebuild soon .

I have both 395xp and a modded 7910. Like both saws the 7910 is my go too felling and bucking saw so much lighter than the 395 . 395 I use on real big stuff and milling only thing I dont like on the 395 is the bar adjuster location have to just about remove the Alaskan mill to tighten the chain . Also have a 460 stihl but it's getting tired going to need a rebuild soon .
Cool thanks for the info. Yea I have a 60cc saw I do my felling and anything big with as its the biggest saw I have thats why I'm looking to get one of the big boys for bigger stuff and mostly milling. Really considering a 660 clone with a few swapped out parts. Its hard to beat the price point

I use my 390Xp for milling and falling. I’m happy with it’s performance and ease of cleaning and adjusting the chain. I have a Logosol mill, I typically use a 24” bar, so power is more than adequate. It is a bit lighter than the 395. It burns through large logs when I cut firewood. I use my old 61 husky on smaller logs.

Its on my short list. Only heard great things on them. Been looking at the new echo 7310 but the dolkita I think beats it. Everyone says the dolmar is beast mode.
Yeah 7900 is pretty savage I just picked up a minty one not long ago. 7310 is a good saw but they're behind the curve in terms of performance. The squish on that saw is something like .062" - .063" which is horrid. Basically Echo did what they had to do (de-tune the saw) to meet emissions. They cut well but for basically the same money you can get a 7910 and another 5+ cc of displacement.

I got 2 Alaskan mills still in the box. I haven sawn enough. Gonna use McCullough 610/650s since me and the old man have quite a few. Maybe if the milling goes good we can upgrade. Our price point saw would be the cs 800.

You need to get sawing! What size mills did you get? I bought a 48", but my 2094 is only wearing a 36" bar. It will work for me until I get enough practice on the softwoods (cedar and pine) before I try to tackle the 32" white oak. Going to need a bigger bar. Just working up to it. Have a pile of logs to practice on before I do.

Back