if you had one handsaw to carry…,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No they don't. Send me a link to it if you can find one: https://www.treestuff.com/silky-saws/

They do have a few parts for the 16' pole saws, which did surprise me.

You guys seem to think I'm making this up. Here is what a google search reveals concerning a Silky pole saw:
View attachment 1067359
Google search for yourself!

If you open the link anyway, nothing comes through, at least on my computer in the USA. Other parts of the world with fewer lawyers will probably have no trouble.

Go ahead and ask Google "Learn why":

View attachment 1067361
It looks like Zoro sells all the parts necessary to put together a Silky pole saw-bottom pole, second pole, top pole. https://www.zoro.com/silky-saws-sil...ension-370-00-33/i/G5441455/?recommended=true

Treestuff still sells silky pole saws.

No they don't. Send me a link to it if you can find one: https://www.treestuff.com/silky-saws/

They do have a few parts for the 16' pole saws, which did surprise me.

You guys seem to think I'm making this up.
OMG, you'd think that somebody who has been appointed to be a mod would know how to use the internet........
Treestuff.com web page that shows a whole bunch of Silky saw stuff that are rebranded by Notch....

https://www.treestuff.com/search/search-results/?search_query=+Silky+pole+saw
And please don't respond by making the ludicrous claim that they aren't Silky saws......

Po7CCQM.png

You can buy replacement blades from Corona for at least their fixed blade saws, reducing replacement cost further.
I put those 13” corona blades on my pole saws too just have to drill a hole in the right spot. Warning those things are the hardest steel. You’ll ruin drill bits if you don’t grind the surface off first.

Treestuff still sells silky pole saws.
As others mentioned, they sell PARTS, but not Silky branded pole saws (full Silky brand assemblies - saws with Silky blades, yes).

Sherrill Tree is the North American distributor of Silky. They are also the owners of the Notch brand.

I talked with them when Silky pole saws were no longer available. They confirmed Silky was no longer choosing to import their saws.

Yes, Notch pole saws use Silky blades. Notch aluminum poles are made in Taiwan. Silky are made in Japan. My guess (and it is only a guess, with no other knowledge of the situation): when Silky quit importing their polesaws, Sherrill had a conversation with them and Silky told them they weren't going to fight Sherrill on the design patent. Sherrill then went and found another factory to make poles with their name on it with similar design.

I am looking for a hand saw that will well work for four to eight inch branches. Each spring I get calls for pruning older standard apple trees, usually ones that have not been pruned in years. Any recommendations?
How many branches that big? I'll cut 4" branches all day with a Silky Sugoi 360. Maybe one or two eight inch branches, but not many, and not for long! That is good territory for a small battery powered chainsaw... A Makita XCU06Z does a great job.

To the OP:
If I could only have one saw for pruning, it would be a Silky Tsurugi - straight blade 300mm, medium teeth. Very versatile, fits in tight spots. Can cut larger branches.

The saw I use most frequently, however is the Sugoi 360. It is more aggressive/cuts faster and with less effort, but is too big to fit into tight spots which is why if I could only have one it would be the Tsurugi.

My helper really likes the Gomtaro better. It is a good saw, but I like the other 2 better.

I've tried lots of other brands. Fiskars, Corona, Samarui, Marvin, etc. etc. I also have about 5-6 other Silky models. Out of the box, the others can almost keep up with a Silky for a few cuts. But they loose ground pretty quickly.

As to sharpening Silky saws, there are some that can be sharpened, and others that can "not". The ones that are labeled as not sharpenable have impulse hardened teeth. They will stay sharp longer, but a file won't do much to them. I've had some limited success with a tiny diamond wheel in a Dremel tool...but I usually just replace the blade. I do sharpen my Hayate pole saws and Sugoi hand saws with the feather file.

thanks man.., the convenience of the folding is where i’m leaning so thanks for bigboy/pocket differentiation.
I find folding rather inconvenient. A good scabbard keeps the saw away and safe. Pull it out, make a cut, put away. No fuss with folding. They save a little space, but not much. I have a couple of folding saws I bought on sale and almost never use them. Because they are a little smaller, I threw one in my wife's car, for example. I'm not allowed to take up much room in there, but every now and then I see a branch that just needs cuttin' so I have it.

I have heard good things about Silky, but honestly have had great experiences with my Corona. They make nice pruning shears too.
Corona are second tier pruning shears and saws. I'm not saying that in a bad way...you could do a lot worse. But Felco pruning shears and Silky saws are significantly better. It depends on how much you use them whether they are worth the extra money. I have Corona pruners in the garden shed for stuff around the yard every now and then. I have Felcos (#2 or #13 if your hands are big enough) in the truck for work to use day in and day out.

No, this is the arborist 101 forum.
I was going to make a snide comment about "if only they'd clarify that somewhere" with a link to the perma-thread at the top of the Arborist 101 Forum titled "Ask chainsaw questions in the Chainsaw Forum"...but apparently that thread has been taken down. Not that anybody ever heeded it anyhow.

That is the head (saw) that is Silky/made in Japan. Even Tree Stuff (owned by the same company that owns Sherrill...) and Sherrill don't claim the manufacture is Silky. Not saying WesSpur is lying to you. It is just incomplete information. Just as another example of poor editing on that same page you linked: "The Sintung head is supplied with the necessary hardware to attach to your Hayauchi." - that was the name of the Silky saw that the Sentei copied and used the saw head from. It should say "...to attach to your Sentei" because that is what they are selling. and later: "
Replacement Parts

A full range of replacement parts for the Sentei is available by calling (800) 268-2141 or emailing [email protected]. Download the Hayauchi parts diagrams under the Safety & Technical tab.

The Sentei is a professional-level heavy-duty pole saw popular with tree workers who value top-quality tools. The aggressive, fast-cutting blade is complemented by an upper sickle for cutting vines and a lower sickle to undercut the bark for a clean cut. The 3-section Hayauchi is our most popular mode"

It looks like they just kept the same page for the Hayauchi and changed most of the wording to Sentei, but missed some as well as the Made in line. If you want further evidence of missed edits, go ahead and look for that aforementioned Hayauchi parts diagram in the referenced Safety & Technical tab of WesSpur's site...

Tree Stuff doesn't list for the Sentei (which uses a Silky Hayauchi saw), but they do list Country of manufacture for at least 2 other Notch saws - very similar design:
https://www.treestuff.com/notch-20-nobasu-4-section-telescoping-aluminum-polesaw/ (using a Silky Hayate head)
https://www.treestuff.com/notch-13-kiru-2-section-telescoping-aluminum-polesaw/
Actually, i don't care that much to keep digging. If anybody has a Notch Sentei, post a pic of the sticker - does it have country of manufacture on it? (Or, more significantly, any evidence that it is made by Silky besides "it looks like it"?)

No, actually, thats the listing for the saw in its entirety.....note the weight, pole length etc is listed also....There is a separate page for the Shinsung head....

Corona razor saw is about the best hand saw that doesn't cost an arm or leg. They use to run 20 bucks but like every thing else they have gone up but still worth it. I won't buy any other hand saw. It cuts on the pull stroke and cuts almost as fast as a powered saw.
TS is they only place that carry's them in my area. They use to have them at Home Depot but not anymore.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/corona-razortooth-14-in-pruning-saw?cm_vc=-10005
I use the 10" version and really like it. Amazon usually has them also if you can't find one locally.

hey fellas. in middle of rehab post knee surgery… feb/march in south-east carolina coast is perfect time for this. been cleaning pruning tools & reflecting on hand saws. i work in parks landscape, & searching for the best price/performance, mobile, durable saw i can find. felco 6 folding with slight curve was my goto for crepe myrtle, live oak & jap. maple. it was light, sharp& durable. tested 2 stihl models: straight blade 6” folding ps10 & straight ps60 fixed & was not thrilled by either. is the silky worth $$$? what is on your hip? i appreciate your time & input. -b
Any Silky 😉👍

That is the head (saw) that is Silky/made in Japan. Even Tree Stuff (owned by the same company that owns Sherrill...) and Sherrill don't claim the manufacture is Silky. Not saying WesSpur is lying to you. It is just incomplete information. Just as another example of poor editing on that same page you linked: "The Sintung head is supplied with the necessary hardware to attach to your Hayauchi." - that was the name of the Silky saw that the Sentei copied and used the saw head from. It should say "...to attach to your Sentei" because that is what they are selling. and later: "
Replacement Parts

A full range of replacement parts for the Sentei is available by calling (800) 268-2141 or emailing [email protected]. Download the Hayauchi parts diagrams under the Safety & Technical tab.

The Sentei is a professional-level heavy-duty pole saw popular with tree workers who value top-quality tools. The aggressive, fast-cutting blade is complemented by an upper sickle for cutting vines and a lower sickle to undercut the bark for a clean cut. The 3-section Hayauchi is our most popular mode"

It looks like they just kept the same page for the Hayauchi and changed most of the wording to Sentei, but missed some as well as the Made in line. If you want further evidence of missed edits, go ahead and look for that aforementioned Hayauchi parts diagram in the referenced Safety & Technical tab of WesSpur's site...

Tree Stuff doesn't list for the Sentei (which uses a Silky Hayauchi saw), but they do list Country of manufacture for at least 2 other Notch saws - very similar design:
https://www.treestuff.com/notch-20-nobasu-4-section-telescoping-aluminum-polesaw/ (using a Silky Hayate head)
https://www.treestuff.com/notch-13-kiru-2-section-telescoping-aluminum-polesaw/
Actually, i don't care that much to keep digging. If anybody has a Notch Sentei, post a pic of the sticker - does it have country of manufacture on it? (Or, more significantly, any evidence that it is made by Silky besides "it looks like it"?)
jeez, the notch nobatsu is sexy.

Notch Nobatsu or Notch Sentei?

My Silky Hayate was the perfect tool before it went on permanent loan, and I'm change-adverse!
Hayate 6100: 420mm blade, 20-foot, 8.7 pounds (looks like non-USA can get a 7700cm)

Nobatsu: 420mm blade, 20-foot, 8.8 pounds. One inch longer Hayate blade, 1 foot shorter, 1# more so stiffer?

Sentei 21: 390mm blade, 21-foot, 7.7 pounds. One inch shorter Hayauchi blade, 1 foot longer, 1# less so lighter.

Yeah, but you cannot even buy parts for those pole saws in the USA.

Electrocutions! Lawyers! Sue the manufacturer!​

Mine is getting pretty dilapidated, now that I cannot buy any parts. Silky is getting their wish: I'll have to go to a different brand.

Yeah, but you cannot even buy parts for those pole saws in the USA. Mine is getting pretty dilapidated, now that I cannot buy any parts. Silky is getting their wish: I'll have to go to a different brand.
Sherrill Tree lists some Silky parts so maybe try them?

So.... new Notch Nobatsu or Notch Sentei?

Back