Igland winch seems weak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal-VT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a model 3001 Igland three point hitch winch. Lately it seems to lack power, I am working in small blown down spruce, and have had trouble moving some of it. If I can start a hitch moving it works well, but if the logs are bound up at all it just stops pulling, doesn't really seem to load the tractor engine at all. I have the clutch tightened as much as I can without rubbing when it is released. The clutch shoes have a good quarter to three eights inch of material left, and the sur[ace of the drum is clean and smooth, as far as I can tell without disassembling it.

I understand it's not a skidder or bulldozer winch, but I expected a little better performance from it.
I would appreciate any suggestions for improvement.
I expect the ultimate cure will be upgrading to a bigger model.

How lagre tractor do you have?

Sent fra min Nokia 7.2 via Tapatalk

I have a model 3001 Igland three point hitch winch. Lately it seems to lack power, I am working in small blown down spruce, and have had trouble moving some of it. If I can start a hitch moving it works well, but if the logs are bound up at all it just stops pulling, doesn't really seem to load the tractor engine at all. I have the clutch tightened as much as I can without rubbing when it is released. The clutch shoes have a good quarter to three eights inch of material left, and the sur[ace of the drum is clean and smooth, as far as I can tell without disassembling it.

I understand it's not a skidder or bulldozer winch, but I expected a little better performance from it.
I would appreciate any suggestions for improvement.
I expect the ultimate cure will be upgrading to a bigger model.
I built my winch because nobody seems to make any winches. In your case I would take a snatch block or two with a a 40 to 60 foot section of cable specifically for the snatch blocks and pull the logs to level area. Once the log are untangled pulling them will go much smoother. A sled device or some type of an axle under the front edge so they do not plow will help your operation go much faster. Thanks

How lagre tractor do you have?

35 horsepower. As I said, the winch doesn’t seem to load the tractor engine, even when the hitch is snubbed. The PTO shaft continues to turn at the same speed as when running freely.

Should have no problem stalling the engine at mid or low rpm, owned since new? Is the engagement mechanism working as it should?

Could you have a grade or in worst case a spun bearing that have made a grove in the shaft carrying the drum?

I know this is an older thread but I just came across it searching for the specs on an Igland 3001 winch. One thing I was taught while rigging the chokers was to wrap them so when you start the pull the log will roll a little thus starting the movement making getting them started a tad easier.
OP did you ever figure out if there was something wrong? Get any oil on the clutch or anything?

Latest posts

Back