Ignition coil resistance not listed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winn1

Reaction score
Hi!! Sorry to post a question as well as introduce myself at the same time but am going crazy trying to find this information and attempting to multitask like mad too!!
Basically, my dad repairs/restores chainsaws as a hobby and has worked on a fair few. I am his tech help with looking up manuals when needed and certain specs etc.
We have a Sachs Dolmar 102 that we're having issues with and believe the problem lays with the ignition coil. All advice online is to check the ohms reading and then know if a replacement is needed etc. However, I cannot seem to find neither what the primary or secondary resistance ohms should be - would this be something that someone would actually know or be able to advise on?! Feel like I've gone around in circles for the past few hours so would definitely appreciate any advice or a nudge in the right direction.
Sorry for the essay! Xx

That saw is listed as having an electronic ignition module. Unfortunately, due to the semiconductors that control the primary current, there is no valid test you can do on the primary with an ohm meter. The secondary should be at least 5K but when these coils fail, it is usually the electronics at fault and the only good test is to replace the coil with a known good one

That saw is listed as having an electronic ignition module. Unfortunately, due to the semiconductors that control the primary current, there is no valid test you can do on the primary with an ohm meter. The secondary should be at least 5K but when these coils fail, it is usually the electronics at fault and the only good test is to replace the coil with a known good one
Thank you so much for your reply, I ordered a new coil last night after much searching to locate one. Fingers crossed it does the trick! 😊

There was one owner on an old stihl NOT finding a replacement coil, dug the capacitor out of the plastic and wired an external in, and t worked... but I suspect, wudda had no such luck if magnetic reed switch had been bad?

Back