Ignition problems!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually no I haven’t, that would probably be a good place to start just to rule it out. I also came across a thread about weak magnets in the flywheel. I checked mine and the don’t seem incredibly strong, wondering if maybe that could have something to do with a spark problem at high rpm
I keep notes on everything I do or learn, I hope they help you too. Sorry for the unkempt handwriting, I hope it’s legible for you.
84662FFC-763B-4D5D-8346-B315A025CF4C.jpeg7E4BF95E-4A50-4A81-B50E-26650AB6EB90.jpeg

The spark plug lead did come with the coil, I have not checked to see if it is molded into it or if it could come off. Do you think the wire itself could cause issues?

Using my harbor freight spark tester I was able to conclude the spark disappeared when the engine shuts off. The lightbulb glows bright and steady until it gets to that half throttle and then cuts off completely.

I will be picking up some name brand plugs on my way home from work today. Maybe it’s just that simple?
You have changed the coil without results. time to move past the ignition...

Based on symptoms it could very likely be a sticking main nozzle check valve in the carburetor. This is basically a non-repairable fault. If the valve sticks closed the carb will never transfer to the HS circuit, Time for a new OEM carburetor. BTW, what carb make/model is on there now?

The spark plug lead did come with the coil, I have not checked to see if it is molded into it or if it could come off. Do you think the wire itself could cause issues?

Using my harbor freight spark tester I was able to conclude the spark disappeared when the engine shuts off. The lightbulb glows bright and steady until it gets to that half throttle and then cuts off completely.

I will be picking up some name brand plugs on my way home from work today. Maybe it’s just that simple?
If the HT lead was replaced along with the coil it eliminates that, if not I'd be changing it too... & As Harley was saying, you need to disconnect the kill wire from the coil (not the switch) to eliminate that. Depending on the construction there may be an earthing connection between the cylinder/crankcase & coil that's damaged/ broken/missing

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I ordered a flywheel for $25 off eBay on a whim hoping that would solve my missing spark. Put it on and the saw runs beautifully!!! Not sure if it was a weak magnet or what was the issue but I seem to be in the clear!

Back