I'm a Little Concerned About a Tree in My Yard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tedeye

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Gals and Guys -

I have tree in my yard that I'm a little concerned about. I bought my house 10 years ago and I have not done anything to the tree since, other than rake pine cones and needles. Here's a picture of it via Google Maps from 2008:

I think it might be leaning slightly to the right, but it's hard to say due to the low resolution pics. Over the last week or so the temps here were hovering 30°F and we got 25" or so of heavy wet snow that is now accumulated on the tree. I looked at the other day after finishing shoveling and noticed the lean is more pronounced to the right:

Most of the remaining branches on the lean side, which probably isn't helping. A couple of the branches are only a bit above the snow, which was not that way this summer, though I suppose I wasn't really looking either. I guess my question would be, not knowing much about trees, would be if I should have it taken down or is it possible to remain as it now for some time? I would hate to have fall.

2nd picture looks like it's going towards the road/powerlines.

Try calling electric company and say you are concerned and wonder if they would drop.

I've had luck doing that but it was EAB infected ash.
That would probably work. A tree guy gave me that tip years ago and the power company completely removed and cleaned 2 trees up while I was at work.

From the pics, it's very hard to understand your situation. Can't truly see the lean, or what's in its path.

For what it's worth, my house is surrounded by Ponderosa Pines (look similar to yours) and when they're loaded with heavy snow their lean looks more pronounced. Yet these trees stand year after year.

One time I got a rope over top of one tree that was way overloaded with snow and might have dropped on my electrical service line. I tied off the tree and yanked it a couple of times with my 4x4 pickup till it dropped an enormous load of snow in the front yard. (THUMP in the kitchen, my wife said later.)

You'll need to get a good tree man, someone who knows your local species, to have a look and give you an opinion as to risk. From the photos, I'd guess your risk is minimal. But there's a lot not to be seen in your photos.

Thanks all for the replies. I called the power company today and mentioned having tree taken down. She seemed to know what I was talking about when she took my information so she could connect the tree people. I wasn't sure when they'd contact me so I went out to scrape the snow off my roof/garage and shovel, but they pulled up not too long after.

There's three total. Here's a couple more pictures that are hopefully more illuminating:

the one on the right seem like it's leaned a few more °s than usual, more than it is in the Google Maps photo. The one in the middle seems like it's leaning a bit to the right and over the alley. Were it to fall that way it'd probably take out the power pole. While I was outside, it seemed to be swaying a bit, though there wasn't much wind. I wonder if a good wind gust would take it out. The third one looks like it's normal until a third a of the way up, then it starts to lean a bit toward my house and to the right, which is hard to tell since it's pointed at me when taking the photo.. We had really bad winter in like 2014-2015 with lots of snow and I remember branches hanging similarly low, but i don't remember the tree leaning. It probably doesn't help most of the branches where snow can accumulate are on one side.

When the guy pulled I started telling him about middle tree, but he kind of looked at me like I was overstepping and said he go look at it. I said OK, thanks and he went to look at it. About 15-20 minutes later he walk by and said they'd remove the branches that were touching the power lines, which is what they did, but it kind of felt like a Band-Aid on a gunshot. They didn't say they'd be back or anything. When I talked to the rep and mentioned having it taken down they didn't say they don't do that, just kind of like she'd heard it before. She did mention they were really busy with the recent weather and ironically, my power went off twice after posting this, though thankfully the outages were short.

I think I'll call again tomorrow and see if I can clear up what they're willing to do. Would taking more photos from different angles help? How do I find a good tree man? I don't really know any who would. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply. I live in a somewhat rural area. I searched at the treeaaregood.org, but most of the ones I found have no contact info, are far away, out business or work for a different electric company. My company doesn't seem to offer arborist services. The closest one I could find is about 50 miles away. Is this unusual? My concern would be if I call the tree cutting businesses they'll just say they need to come down because it means money for them, which we all need. Thanks again.

Thanks all for the replies. I called the power company today and mentioned having tree taken down. She seemed to know what I was talking about when she took my information so she could connect the tree people. I wasn't sure when they'd contact me so I went out to scrape the snow off my roof/garage and shovel, but they pulled up not too long after.

There's three total. Here's a couple more pictures that are hopefully more illuminating:

the one on the right seem like it's leaned a few more °s than usual, more than it is in the Google Maps photo. The one in the middle seems like it's leaning a bit to the right and over the alley. Were it to fall that way it'd probably take out the power pole. While I was outside, it seemed to be swaying a bit, though there wasn't much wind. I wonder if a good wind gust would take it out. The third one looks like it's normal until a third a of the way up, then it starts to lean a bit toward my house and to the right, which is hard to tell since it's pointed at me when taking the photo.. We had really bad winter in like 2014-2015 with lots of snow and I remember branches hanging similarly low, but i don't remember the tree leaning. It probably doesn't help most of the branches where snow can accumulate are on one side.

When the guy pulled I started telling him about middle tree, but he kind of looked at me like I was overstepping and said he go look at it. I said OK, thanks and he went to look at it. About 15-20 minutes later he walk by and said they'd remove the branches that were touching the power lines, which is what they did, but it kind of felt like a Band-Aid on a gunshot. They didn't say they'd be back or anything. When I talked to the rep and mentioned having it taken down they didn't say they don't do that, just kind of like she'd heard it before. She did mention they were really busy with the recent weather and ironically, my power went off twice after posting this, though thankfully the outages were short.

I think I'll call again tomorrow and see if I can clear up what they're willing to do. Would taking more photos from different angles help? How do I find a good tree man? I don't really know any who would. Thanks again.

The tree you are most concerned about may have made it to a "remove in the future" list. Don't be surprised if they take it down in the future but today they may have higher priority trees to be working with.

Here's an interesting technique for measuring tree lean change:

Get an electronic level.
Place two drywall screws into the tree and screw them in until when you place the level on their ends that the level reads vertical.
Make sure the screws are into solid wood.
Measuring these two screws gives you a method of measuring changes in lean. The screws will not move as the tree grows.
Monitor that tree lean.

If you see changes in lean send them an email with your measuring technique mentioned with photos.

Tell them you read it on the internet.

I bet you get a response then.

They'll come by in a van with a padded interior and take you places! :)

Thanks for the replies. I don't think there's anything I can do, but wait and hope until after Christmas. To my untrained I it doesn't seemed to have moved much since the heavy wet snow for whatever that's worth. It would have been nice if they said it looks OK for now or get that out of there ASAP when they came by to trim the branches, they likely know what tree they'll be coming back to cut better than I do,but they did charge me either. Perhaps it's hard to say. I did send emails to the city and power company asking if they had any ideas. I don' think there's a certified arborsit within 50 miles of me. I thought I had a line on one, but they worked for a local city. Thanks again.

would be helpful to have some photos at a 90 degree angle to what you have posted - along the back of the shed so we can see the lean from front and side of shed
From what I can see it doesn't look like much of a problem, but nearly impossible to say without seeing both angles

Hug them pine trees then take them all down, then hug them again while they are on the ground.
They are a nuisance around buildings in this neck of the woods. (and no market value)
Nothing grows under or around them and the pine needles were only used by Uel Gibbins as food. Uel got a OD from eating them and died. He also tried wiping with pine cones and got a rash..

Thanks all for the replies. I'll try and get out tomorrow for some more pics. It was pretty cold here today with the temps not making it above 0°F. The city replied with the names of tree trimmers who I had already found, but at least they replied. The power company said I could make a make a ticket and they'd come out to have a look, so I had to ask whether they'd help me determine if I should have them taken down. Slowly, we're making progress. Thanks again.

I managed to get out today and snap a few pics. The first is from Google Maps in 2008 just for historical perspective. I numbered the trees just in case it was not apparent. In Google Maps the camera was facing north:

The second is again facing north:

Next is facing west:

This is the best I could do facing south

Last is facing east:

Anyone have an opinion? It's been pretty windy the last few days and it hasn't seemed to affected them. Any help greatly appreciated.

Here, there is no way the power company would drop any of those trees. But, the OP needs to talk to local people about the local power company.

I suspect the state forest service--or whatever they call it in MN--might be in a position to recommend someone to cut the tree(s) leaning toward the building. I see no point in long delay getting them cut.

Now, maybe the guy you find to cut the trees comes out and says "I wouldn't bother."

Problem trees tend to become larger problems, and more dangerous to cut, over time.

Roy

Latest posts

Back