I'm considering a Husqvarna L65 upgrade to electronic ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
svk:

1) Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

2) Why do I want to contemplate converting to electronic ignition? Because I have nightmares of setting the points and condensors as a kid on our farm with our gas tractors and VW Beatles we had back then. And even with a reprint of a Clymers service manual for the saw, I have no clear idea what I'm supposed to do to set the point gap properly. Add to that the anxiety of having to go through the process of removing the flywheel each time I have an spark problem and the idea of being able to install an electronic ignition module becomes very appealing to me.

3) FYI: I obtained the saw not running. I've completely gone through the saw. Rebuilt the carburetor using an ultrasonic cleaner. Gone through the pistons, rings, etc. Installed new crank shaft seals. My last step is to decide the ignition route and install it. I have the time this weekend to finish putting the saw back together. I even went ahead and purchased a Universal Ignition Module, an Oregon #33-053 that I picked up a while back on sale. The problem tonight is that I'm getting conflicting advice...several long time small engine parts suppliers say I can install this module but several say I can't because the flywheel has more than one magnet that comes in contct with the coil. My flywheel has 4 magnets. My brief, inexperienced precursery of the points tells me that they seem to be in good shape.

4) It sounds like you have experience with this saw or generation of saws. You're obviously suggesting I keep the points/condenser system. I just wish I could get a clear idea of how to set the point gap, etc.

Additional thoughts?

Again, thanks svk for taking the time to respond.

Just get the chip and toss the points and condenser in the trash. I've done this mod on several saws, and small engines for people that dont like or know how to set points up.

Sean Donato...many thanks for taking the time to respond to my query!

Have you done this modification on a saw similar to the Husqvarna L65, with 4 magnets in/under the flywheel that are in contact with the coil?

I would like to know why you have positive experience doing this prodecure but several of the parts sellers online all have disclaimers associated with this procedure that state this won't work with a flywheel that has more than 2 magnets or another that advices that if the coil is under/inside the flywheel, this electronic ignition conversion won't work. Comments?

So my next question is this: where have you had more success placing the module? Under/inside the flywheel or someplace else? Looking my saw over, I can't seem to locate outside placing it under the flywheel...a place to install the module without drilling a hole...and the only space available like this would mean drilliing a hole into the gas storage compartment. Suggestions?

Just get the chip and toss the points and condenser in the trash. I've done this mod on several saws, and small engines for people that dont like or know how to set points up.
Sean Donato-

One final question: do you know of a resource I can use that helps me do this procedure in the best way? Thanks again ahead of time.

My reason for saying that is I’ve known people who converted and the timing was off a bit thereby the saw had less power. Also since this wouldn’t be an everyday user, you are spending extra work and $$ to do a retrofit.

Sorry for the late response, no I would normally do these types of mods myself, I would say a competent small engine/ saw shop should be able to do it, or at least tell you for sure if it is advisable, and or set it up for you. @svk, does have a valid point, in the need to check timing and make sure it is correct. I sometimes forget I've worked on engines most my life, and there are challenges to doing retrofits at times.

A friend of mine has several vintage Homelites I’m planning on fixing at some point. One of which has an AM ignition that was “professionally” installed and now runs like crap. I’m going to retrofit it with either a grey or black coil ignition.

i've got a L65 with no spark! i've ordered a kit from Oregon part number 33-053 . my condenser was bad so im going to try the conversation kit. hopefully i will have good luck!

You will have to remove the flywheel to do the conversion why not clean and set the points .It will probably not have to be done again in your life time.
Remove 2 screws securing the plastic cover over the points .Take a piece of emery cloth folded over and pull it back and forth between the two points untill they are clean some pitting is ok.Turn the crank shaft until the cam is holding the points at the widest opening and set the gap to I BELIEVE 16 thousands then run a business card threw the closed points to clean them.Job done
Funny thing I just did a Husky L65 last nite about 45 minutes of my time I doubt I will ever have to do it again points ignitions on saws are dead nuts reliable.
Kash

I repaired a friends stihl 041 fb that had points ignition the condenser was bad and the point where badly worn and i converted it with a Atom ignition chip. Not only did it run better and start easier it revved higher.
He still uses it to cut firewood to this day.

You will have to remove the flywheel to do the conversion why not clean and set the points .It will probably not have to be done again in your life time.
Remove 2 screws securing the plastic cover over the points .Take a piece of emery cloth folded over and pull it back and forth between the two points untill they are clean some pitting is ok.Turn the crank shaft until the cam is holding the points at the widest opening and set the gap to I BELIEVE 16 thousands then run a business card threw the closed points to clean them.Job done
Funny thing I just did a Husky L65 last nite about 45 minutes of my time I doubt I will ever have to do it again points ignitions on saws are dead nuts reliable.
Kash
i was going to have to locate and buy a condenser anyway. it checked out bad.
thats why i purchased the electronic clip.

Latest posts

Back