I'm 'hunting' for beginner advice please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeadInTheClouds

Reaction score
As the title alludes to, I'm an avid hunter. I am not looking to climb professionally, nor do I need any gear for felling.

What I am interested in, however, is lightening my hunting gear and finding a safe, reliable way to get up a tree, mount my stand, and enjoy the day. I am a carpenter by trade and I've used both construction and hunting style harnesses. Neither are ideal for what I'm looking for. I believe that this community of Arborculturists (I sure hope that how you all identify, or that I'm wearing tasty footwear...) has the answer that I'm looking for.

I believe that what I need is a full tree-climbing harness with side D-rings and a rear dorsal ring (for hooking up once in my stand), a body positioning belt/system, and a pair of climbing spikes.

Am I wrong in this assumption? Is there more that I would require to safely climb a tree, pull up my stand, strap it on, and sit down? And would anyone have any suggestions on quality, comfortable equipment?

Or am I just crazy to think that this is a viable option? You'd think that someone already thought of this but in all my interweb searches, I have been unable to find gear suited for this task (or more specifically, camoflauge-colored gear or gear that won't make a lot of noise)

We're usually referred to (in my area at least) as either tree guys or arborists. ;)I'm a tree guy and a long time hunter FWIW. There are a couple of problems with what you suggest. First thing is that using spikes is damaging to the tree, they're not generally something a conscientious arborist uses unless the tree is being removed. I wouldn't be using them in the woods unless it was going to be logged in the near future. Second, the gear isn't intended to be quiet, although it can be made more so with some tape and padding. Third, the gear is generally intended to be high visibility, as you've seen. Fourth, the gear can be kinda heavy and bulky to carry long distances, especially when you're also carrying a stand.

I would suggest getting a good climbing stand and some strap on tree steps. You can use the strap on steps to get past branches that the climbing stand won't go around, or, if you're fit and crazy enough (like me :)) you can leap frog the two halves of the stand around branches.

Arborist here. All you need is any one of the simple systems that attaches you to the tree on a prussic of one kind or another.
They are readily available on most hunting gear sites.

We're usually referred to (in my area at least) as either tree guys or arborists. ;)I'm a tree guy and a long time hunter FWIW. There are a couple of problems with what you suggest. First thing is that using spikes is damaging to the tree, they're not generally something a conscientious arborist uses unless the tree is being removed. I wouldn't be using them in the woods unless it was going to be logged in the near future. Second, the gear isn't intended to be quiet, although it can be made more so with some tape and padding. Third, the gear is generally intended to be high visibility, as you've seen. Fourth, the gear can be kinda heavy and bulky to carry long distances, especially when you're also carrying a stand.

I would suggest getting a good climbing stand and some strap on tree steps. You can use the strap on steps to get past branches that the climbing stand won't go around, or, if you're fit and crazy enough (like me :)) you can leap frog the two halves of the stand around branches.

Great info there, sir. And much appreciated! I did not think about the damage to the tree.

I currently use strap-on climbers that are roughly 16 pounds and get me roughly 12 - 15' up. My stand is a Muddy Original Boss XL that I added backpack straps to (20 lbs). My hunting gear and weapon runs me roughly another 15. So I have about 50 pounds of just hunting/climbing gear with which I have to equip if I want to go high.

I use a harness with no rings to it, only a nylon dogbone attachment on the back, and a tree strap to tie myself to the tree once I'm in position. I also modified all the gear to make less noise. Anything metal was filled with expanding foam, rubberized, and painted.

My hope and intent is to find a way to cut out the strap-on climbers. They limit my options on tree selection, height, and even sight-lines at times, not to mention the additional weight I could cut out.

You'll be miserable with spurs. One more thing to buy, carry, put on, make noise.

I use a climber stand as do most of the guys I know. They don't harm the tree, you're literally using the platform you'll sit on to ascend and descend, what could be simpler? You can wear the ultra minimalist safety harnesses because your weight won't actually be sitting on it except in the case of an accident at which point it will still arrest your fall, albeit uncomfortably.

What will you do with the spurs and heavy harness once you get up there? How will you get down?

Lone Wolf sells a really nice, light, minimalist climbing stand.

I usually use hang on stands and climbing sticks. Other than that all my other stands are home made ladder stands that have been there for 30 years. I never liked climbing stands because there noisy but have some friends that like them.

If you hunt many different places, they're the only real option.

Also, I'm tucked away and quiet long before light if I hunt in the morning.

Not that I am a hunter that has ever used a tree stand, but I have always thought that the hunters are doing it all wrong.

Check out the rigs that are used by the recreational tree climbers. They are light and comfortable. Use some camo colored 10mm arborist rope, then use a throwball to set your climbing line, and then use ascenders to climb the tree. With a bit of practice, you can be unto position much faster than using spurs, you won't damage the trees, and you won't risk kicking out and getting seriously hurt. Spurs are for guys that do it all the time, and are willing to risk getting scurfed up real good when their spur kicks out and drops them onto their face sliding down a tree held only by a buckstrap.

Once you are in the tree, leave your comfy harness on and just remain comfortable in it, perhaps sit or stand on a branch. A hammock type of seat might come in handy, but almost certainly will tip off game if you are swinging around in a tree when you move into firing position.

All of those seats, climbing sticks, ladders, and other hardware that folks are toting into the woods is unnecessary. The climbing sticks in the video above look like complete insanity. I'm sure that a recreational climbing rig would be 3 times faster to climb a tree with, probably cheaper, certainly lighter, and a lot safer as well.

Get a 75' rope (arborist quality only), a 2lb recreational saddle, a prussic loop (you can make your own), some caribiners, and a couple of ascenders. All less than 5 pounds of gear.

Then practice!

After thought: if you are checking out your stand in advance, and planning on setting up in the pre-dawn hours, you might want to set your rope in the daylight, leaving it in place for later. Setting a rope might be tricky in the dark, and if you are floundering about for 15 minutes in the brush trying to get the job done, there went your stealth.

Also: you need to consider whether you are going to go with SRT or DDRT climbing techniques. SRT would be great for setting a line and leaving it in place, as none of the other hunters will be able to use it or steal your rope. Unfortunately, you will need a bit more hardware if climbing SRT.

Of course, you will need to do some research on SRT & DDRT climbing before you could even consider either of these methods.

Back