I'm super curious about this video.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T4NGO!

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It's a guy milling without attachments, and he claims he gets better lumber than if he did have them. How many of you have seen it? Is it as mindblowing as I think it is, or a gimmick or is there something else wrong that I can't see?

That dude is cool Mang!
He makes some points but maybe misses some too.
For his purpose, what he is doing works perfectly.
Difficult to imagine it taking less time per cut than a properly set up Alaskan mill but!.... he's getting some large cuts with a relatively small saw.

I will call BS on ''better lumber'' than with attachments... Not some wanky russian dude out for an hours milling.. Now these dudes look like they have the experience and you have to like the guy with the smoke and the fuel container!!! Curious that they are not on full throttle but rather revving thru the cuts, easier on the powerhead??

Advoko Makes is no fool, he has a lot of good videos, and what he says makes a lot of sense because he isn't cutting end grain he is ripping with a standard chain which most would call noodling, and only using the three teeth makes for a lot less load.
BTW he also said the Stihl gave up on him relatively quickly, roasted the top end.

I will call BS on ''better lumber'' than with attachments... Not some wanky russian dude out for an hours milling.. Now these dudes look like they have the experience and you have to like the guy with the smoke and the fuel container!!! Curious that they are not on full throttle but rather revving thru the cuts, easier on the powerhead??

I like the guy smoking while refilling his buddies saw.
Safety last when you ain't got no money.

I take your point, but I guess the type of wood plays a part as well, knots will deflect a bar and chain especially one cutting cross grain.
Maybe the wood he is milling is softer and because he is only using the end of the bar and a very small cutting surface it is less prone to deflection.
I don't know I find it very interesting though in terms of efficiency and saw load.

Interesting concept if only looking for rough slabs, but constantly swinging a saw freehand would wipe out your arms after a few logs. Would like to know what the fuel consumption difference would be, and if its as less as he says.

I saw that video a few weeks back and just for kicks went out to some scrap logs with my 046 with 28" bar and milling chain to try and freehand some cuts. Well, it's no joke. It cuts faster and easier and I had far more control than I thought I would. The cuts were definitely rough but with more practice I can see getting better results. Just using the tip for the most part and it just eats up the log and piles up a ton of noodles. Don't know how it would do with regular chain. Mind you this was in pine so I can't tell you what it would be like in harder wood.

I felt way more comfortable standing above and alongside the log free handing than with the mill trying to keep even pressure and a slightly forward angle. I wasn't wearing any leg protection so I cut my losses before I cut my legs and went to do other chores but I do want to try to get better at free hand cutting just for time and comfort. My accuracy and precision isn't that great even with the mill for some reason so it isn't much of a difference for me.

Anyone run their chain as loose as these guys in the viddy?
Really gives those cutters a chance to dig in and take a chip.
I loosen up the chain on my limbing saw if I’m going to be working towards the end of the bar a lot.
Maybe it makes sense for this process too... but man, that chain is just hangin of the sprocket!

Between the cigarette when refueling and all the barefoot kids chainsawing, that video should be called "an accident waiting to happen", lol

They have an attachment on the bar for thickness

I did notice the attachment too. I actually have one attachment that replaces the nut, and has this sideways nylon stick that you use to measure firewood length. It's been super useful.

Those free hand milling in 3rd world are usually done with very low rakers or completely snapped, they bite harder that way and stay in the cut better. I've seen guy free hand mill like a friggin ruler, even alaskan mill cant do that

Yes they consume way less fuel, is faster and put half or less load than alaskan mill. You guys can try that, takes time and practice. But its very hard on the body though

I watched a friend do this in my yard with a log I gave him. With a crosscut chain, he used the same technique and this was many years ago. The results were just as good as what Adovoko produced and at that time I was a little shocked. After a few more pieces I realized, don't underestimate a human being's capabilities when they set a goal and work toward it. My friend Rick had done this before, he was an artist. I was a skeptic, which now I am no longer a skeptic.

Latest posts

Back