infested firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfireman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have several, perhaps 5 cord of split, stacked, drying hardwood that has become infested with powder post beetles, as I was rather counting on it to stay warm, I really hate to just give up. on the flip side of that coin, I live in a log cabin, so I don't dare bring in more than an armload at a time, pretty much what I intend to burn. its becoming a real problem. called an exterminator to ask advice and potentially hire them, was told what I had suspected, that to tent and gas them would be the only solution and they couldn't do that because I intend to burn it.... but it got me thinking, tenting the pile is no problem, it is already covered, so sealing that up wouldn't be a big deal...
how would carbon monoxide effect them? I have several old tractors to choose from that would sit and run for days if need be pumping exhaust into the tented piles, once it airs out I doubt it would be an issue in the house... any insight or suggestions here would be welcomed.
there are spray on products like BORA CARE that are more intended for treating sills and rafters, building walls etc, and by all accounts they work, but spraying every surface of stacked firewood would be a monumental chore. alternatively I could possibly start over but that would mean I was burning green wood, which is a bad ideal all the way around.

I have several, perhaps 5 cord of split, stacked, drying hardwood that has become infested with powder post beetles, as I was rather counting on it to stay warm, I really hate to just give up. on the flip side of that coin, I live in a log cabin, so I don't dare bring in more than an armload at a time, pretty much what I intend to burn. its becoming a real problem. called an exterminator to ask advice and potentially hire them, was told what I had suspected, that to tent and gas them would be the only solution and they couldn't do that because I intend to burn it.... but it got me thinking, tenting the pile is no problem, it is already covered, so sealing that up wouldn't be a big deal...
how would carbon monoxide effect them? I have several old tractors to choose from that would sit and run for days if need be pumping exhaust into the tented piles, once it airs out I doubt it would be an issue in the house... any insight or suggestions here would be welcomed.
there are spray on products like BORA CARE that are more intended for treating sills and rafters, building walls etc, and by all accounts they work, but spraying every surface of stacked firewood would be a monumental chore. alternatively I could possibly start over but that would mean I was burning green wood, which is a bad ideal all the way around.
Well go find out monoxide them.

Just the exhaust heat can also be used depending on where you put it in will get hot enough to kill them if you can insulate it enough with tarps or hay even works. The CO2 will kill just about anything including bugs and fungus above a certain threshold. People run wood stoves in trailers and sheds to kill bugs during wood treating so think outside the box. Maybe two barrel stoves or something much simpler like a lit five gallon bucket of smoldering chips or a stove, not both at once ;-), would work in there. The smoke alone with CO2 for days on end will wipe them out and intumb the rest dugin need heat and time to kill them.

A tarps or plastic with no seams would be best to hold it under your dome of doom.

Just the exhaust heat can also be used depending on where you put it in will get hot enough to kill them if you can insulate it enough with tarps or hay even works. The CO2 will kill just about anything including bugs and fungus above a certain threshold. People run wood stoves in trailers and sheds to kill bugs during wood treating so think outside the box. Maybe two barrel stoves or something much simpler like a lit five gallon bucket of smoldering chips or a stove, not both at once ;-), would work in there. The smoke alone with CO2 for days on end will wipe them out and intumb the rest dugin need heat and time to kill them.
I would imagine high levels would kill the hell out of them .

I have little to lose I guess other than a tank or 2 of fuel, doesn't bother me, good for the old girl anyway. I wonder if the heat from exhaust would counteract the ambient below freezing temp to wake them then kill them or how it would work, surface bugs like spiders I would expect to die quickly, burrowed deep into the wood? I wonder how long it would take, and when I could feel satisfied I had gotten them, it isn't as though you can see them, just little dust piles everywhere.

yup
I did a quick edit
Right I see low levels don't.
I have little to lose I guess other than a tank or 2 of fuel, doesn't bother me, good for the old girl anyway. I wonder if the heat from exhaust would counteract the ambient below freezing temp to wake them then kill them or how it would work, surface bugs like spiders I would expect to die quickly, burrowed deep into the wood? I wonder how long it would take, and when I could feel satisfied I had gotten them, it isn't as though you can see them, just little dust piles everywhere.
Dont start a fire when you aint there.

Well Durn. Sad part you dont realize, they were in the wood when you cut it down.....

Maybe do some small batches like a 55 gallon drum with a generous door cut out carefully and used to be an actual door, and run an exhasiut into it. Dont pack it tighter than a drum though, and make a little exhaust chimmney too.

Beyond that- use it a little at a time like you have been, dont store alot in your home, and consider treating your home once a year or so like you woudl anyway.

...and get out and get some more wood stocked up, IDK how may cord per year you use or how fast youa re going to go through that 5 you got, but it gets lighter and less dense the longer it sits with beetles in it.

Sad part you dont realize, they were in the wood when you cut it down.....
No, sad part is I actually was trying to get ahead and bought 2 log loads I don’t see any activity from the first load, this was from the second and I still have a couple cord I haven’t got cut or split yet.

pour Clorox on it & tent tightly with a tarp a few days …. Chlorine will kill anything … it was called mustered gas in ww2 … leave it on there a week or so .. then air it out & smell will be gone shortly

Back